Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names

Go down 
+39
NMR_Okapi
Birdsage
Numa
WhiteLightning Wolf
sbell
Bowhead Whale
orcagirl26
LorenzoItaly
Tiermann
GoldEagle
phrog
QuollMate
AlopexLagopus
lucky luke
The-Toy-Chest
75senta75
K907
PeGe
bmathison1972
schleich61
Mastiffcat
Duck-Anch-Amun
skysthelimit
jarda
weaselfan93
Wildheart
sphyrna18
STORMnl
quagga
landrover
Joan Milelire
widukind
SommoDracorex
jhudstone
Kikimalou
Roger
SUSANNE
Ana
Froggie
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
So I am preparing tomorrow's 'Museum' post, which happens to be the Play Visions fiddler crab. And studying the figure, I just noticed for the first time, it is specifically marked 'Mexican fiddler crab', implying the species Leptuca crenulata. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't have the figure but I thought it was marked ' Uca' and '4'. Uca was the genus of the Mexican fiddler crab when the figure was released.
Looking forward to see your post and open a page for Mexican fiddler crab on TAW if you confirm the identification as correct.

I cannot 'confirm' the ID since the figure itself is too generic, but mine is marked 'Mexican fiddler crab'. PV never marked with Latin names, I doubt it ever said 'Uca'
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 7:08 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
So I am preparing tomorrow's 'Museum' post, which happens to be the Play Visions fiddler crab. And studying the figure, I just noticed for the first time, it is specifically marked 'Mexican fiddler crab', implying the species Leptuca crenulata. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't have the figure but I thought it was marked ' Uca' and '4'. Uca was the genus of the Mexican fiddler crab when the figure was released.
Looking forward to see your post and open a page for Mexican fiddler crab on TAW if you confirm the identification as correct.

I cannot 'confirm' the ID since the figure itself is too generic, but mine is marked 'Mexican fiddler crab'.  PV never marked with Latin names, I doubt it ever said 'Uca'

I have no access to the figure in the moment, but I had a look in my database. And there was marked, that it´s an unidentified fiddler crab species. So I didn´t recognize it, but will check it later again.
Back to top Go down
NMR_Okapi

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 9:35 pm

It’s says Mexican Fiddler Crab on the PV I have
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyWed May 05, 2021 10:27 am

That's all interesting. I don't know why there are two figures listed on TAW - here and there's no mention to the fact it is marked Mexican Fiddler Crab, even pictures are named just as fiddler crab. So, even being too generic, shouldn't it be placed in a page for that exact species?

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 pm

So, PlayVisions never made ANY African Rhinoceros? This is odd...
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 pm

That’s right. I noticed that, and I agree that this is unusual. They made a variety of non-ABC African animals from the Aquatic Genet to the Zebra Duiker, but neither the White or Black Rhinoceros was made. Also note that the Habitat Earth series only had a handful of Australasian species (and no Australasian mammals), only one rodent (the beaver), barely any ray-finned fishes (and one freshwater fish), no penguins, no owls, and no armadillos. Perhaps they could’ve filled those gaps had their Habitat Earth series continued for a few more years.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2022 11:29 pm

Reviewing Froggie’s list of sets and figures, I found the following errors that have not been corrected:

The “Pear Crab” has been identified as Epialtoides hiltoni, or the Winged Kelp Crab.

The scientific name of the Golden Toad is Incilius periglenes, not Mantella aurantiaca, which is the Golden Mantella.

The Gemsbok is actually an East African Oryx. It is marked “Beisa Oryx”, which is a name for that species, and more closely resembles it.

The Black-headed Parrot was, in fact, correctly marked. Black-headed Caique is a pet-trade name.

The “Javan Rhino” has been found to be an Indian Rhinoceros.

The Gorilla, Chimpanzee, and the other Leopard are missing from the unknown African regional set.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 am

Birdsage wrote:
Reviewing Froggie’s list of sets and figures, I found the following errors that have not been corrected:

The “Pear Crab” has been identified as Epialtoides hiltoni, or the Winged Kelp Crab.

The scientific name of the Golden Toad is Incilius periglenes, not Mantella aurantiaca, which is the Golden Mantella.

The Gemsbok is actually an East African Oryx. It is marked “Beisa Oryx”, which is a name for that species, and more closely resembles it.

The Black-headed Parrot was, in fact, correctly marked. Black-headed Caique is a pet-trade name.

The “Javan Rhino” has been found to be an Indian Rhinoceros.

The Gorilla, Chimpanzee, and the other Leopard are missing from the unknown African regional set.

This topic got orphaned since our efforts are now on TAW but since you did the hard job finding all these informations to be updated, I decided to finally and after eight years, to update the first post. Thanks for your dedication. Very Happy

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am

The starfish with the missing scientific name is Anthenea edmondi.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 1:11 am

Birdsage wrote:
The starfish with the missing scientific name is Anthenea edmondi.

Done, I think other minor things are missing, I will try to remember to take a look tomorrow.

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2022 1:12 am

Ok. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2022 10:23 pm

I understand now why the Indian-Javan Rhinoceros from PlayVisions is such a sought-after piece...
Back to top Go down
jdk42

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2022 5:58 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to get the sharks, dolphins and whales from Play Visions and wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look or suggestions on where it might be possible to buy? (long shot, I know!)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: Play visions: how high quality are the figures?   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 5:15 am

Dear Sts Friends:

Hi guys, hey, I was wondering about the quality of the play visions figures, as I had some when I was a kid, but like many other things, they got lost. Anyway, are the play visions figures as high quality as AAA? Just wonering, because I'm thinking of collecting some of the sets. Anyway, if anyone has an answer to this question, let me know.

Aschuck

Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 8:03 am

Numa wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the African Antelopes/okapi/Sitatunga models from?  Anywhere online? Does any one have any spare to trade?  such an informative thread on STS!
What are you willing to trade for the okapi?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 6:30 pm

jdk42 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to get the sharks, dolphins and whales from Play Visions and wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look or suggestions on where it might be possible to buy? (long shot, I know!)

Thanks!

2 figures i have in my shop. Mostly you can find sometimes by ebay.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 6:32 pm

aschuck wrote:
Dear Sts Friends:

Hi guys, hey, I was wondering about the quality of the play visions figures, as I had some when I was a kid, but like many other things, they got lost.  Anyway, are the play visions figures as high quality as AAA?  Just wonering, because I'm thinking of collecting some of the sets.  Anyway, if anyone has an answer to this question, let me know.

Aschuck

It is not easy to answer. The figures are much smaller and so i think AAA have a better quality. But Playvisions have (in my opinion) many treasures too

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 12:17 am

widukind wrote:
aschuck wrote:
Dear Sts Friends:

Hi guys, hey, I was wondering about the quality of the play visions figures, as I had some when I was a kid, but like many other things, they got lost.  Anyway, are the play visions figures as high quality as AAA?  Just wonering, because I'm thinking of collecting some of the sets.  Anyway, if anyone has an answer to this question, let me know.

Aschuck

It is not easy to answer. The figures are much smaller and so i think AAA have a better quality. But Playvisions have (in my opinion) many treasures too

Yes, AAA and Play Visions are completely different.
Play Visions sets are more similar to Safari Toob figures but usually nicer. However, the material and size are about the same.
Play Visions also released a few larger figures but they are hollow like the Wild Republic polybag figures.
Play Visions won't provide you the same enriching sensorial experience as the AAA figures.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 7:20 am

The only big PV I owned was the « prehistoric hyena » and it wasn’t hollow.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 12:35 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
The only big PV I owned was the « prehistoric hyena » and it wasn’t hollow.

Maybe they're not hollow and I misunderstood it in a discussion on forum where we were comparing PV and K&M polybag figures. I don't have a single large Play Visions, thanks for pointing it.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 pm

Any of my big PVs are solid pvc plastic/rubber. But I would not group them with AAAs... they are similar but distinct in my opinion.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names   Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Visions: listing of sets, animals and scientific names
Page 17 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17