Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to remove pen marks on plastic figures

Go down 
+7
LukaLeon085
tyrantqueen
krista
Saarlooswolfhound
dlfrogman
SUSANNE
sauroid
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

How to remove pen marks on plastic figures Empty
PostSubject: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm

how do you remove pen marks/marker ink on your vinyl figures? i got some used figures recently and some of them have marks on the belly. ive tried alcohol, acetone, paint thinner and none has worked. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:50 pm

That is a VERY, VERY good question What a Face

I tried everything too Mad

dlfrogman

Country/State : Idaho USA

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 pm

some time just a pencil erasure works
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 pm

I heard that sometimes toothpaste works too. scratch I haven't tried it (it sounds weird) but supposedly it works. I do not know if it is a special type of toothpaste either though... scratch scratch study
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
krista

krista

Country/State : finland

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 8:39 pm

I have a similar problem with (probably permanent) felt-tip pen. My Schleich crocodile and iguana have someone's initials on their belly. I have tried almost everything. From toothpaste to nailpolish remover. ;__;

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I agree. The problem is probably the permant markers. It is like it has seeped into the plastic What a Face

sauroid

sauroid

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 pm

aw. then our defaced figures are hopeless. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 pm

The best solution is to tell yourself that it is charming. That they have a history and some child has loved them cheers

tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Be careful with using acetone on plastic toys, it will eat away at it and cause damage. Have you tried Simple Green? (or Fairy Power Spray, as we call it in the UK) It's really good at removing paint and stains, it might work. It won't strip the factory paint though, and it's safe for plastics, so you're ok there.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm

thanks for that cool suggestion TQ. but what is it's product/generic name? is it some kind of cleaning agent? sorry not familiar with the brand. Embarassed Laughing
(might have to buy that online tho)
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 pm

milk, ,,put your animal into a glass of milk for 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 am

SUSANNE wrote:
The best solution is to tell yourself that it is charming. That they have a history and some child has loved them cheers

Very Happy sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
Seijun

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 pm

I have successfully removed permanent marker, ink stains, and some paint scuffs (where paint from another figure is rubbed off onto the one you are trying to clean) from figures using a regular "mr clean" magic eraser. I have used these magic erasers on carnegie figures and dino riders figures. I tried them once on an invicta and discovered it removes the stain but also any shine that is on the plastic's surface Sad So yeah, they work great IMO, but don't use them on a shiny or glossy figure.
On a painted figure, it may also start to remove the paint itself but in such small amounts that it does not do any noticeable damage.

To be safest, always test the eraser on an inconspicuous area first, like the bottom of a foot.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 6:37 am

thanks Seijun. will try that ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Does the eraser thing work well on say, Schleich figures? I am curious... :)
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Seijun

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 pm

It probably would, it worked well on my carnegies. I don't own any schleich figures that ever needed cleaning.
Back to top Go down
ReinbowSchleich

ReinbowSchleich

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Does the eraser thing work well on say, Schleich figures? I am curious... :)

Yes,it works great! But rub softly or your figure will light spots on it (Belive me,I know lol). :)
Back to top Go down
docronnie

Country/State : Philippines

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 6:22 am

I have tried most of what you've tried.

Here are the things I've tried that worked:

1.  Acetone - but it might destroy the paint too;  happened with some of my Chap Mei figs, good thing the pen marks are under their feet.

2.  Goo Gone -  works also but destroyed a little of the coating of my Safari Komodo Dragon under the belly due to continous rubbing.

3.  70% Isopropyl Alc.  - works too;  I have two methods: a.  immersing the part with pen marks and
b. applying a soaked cotton on the marks, changing every 3-5 minutes.

BUT THE BEST SO FAR IS:  5% BENZOYL PEROXIDE by my experience

I learned this through a video on You Tube.  The female doll collector was using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, but my wife bought a 5% 10ml one by mistake.  Crying or Very sad Laughing

All the pen marks that the other methods were not able to remove were removed by this method.  All I did was apply the Benzoly Peroxide on top of the marks and leave the figures under the sun for 4 hours.  cheerscheerscheers

You have to repeat the process everyday to remove stubborn stains.  You can see the progress as the marks lighten day by day.  There is also a tendency for the paint to lighten as well, on some figures. cheerscheerscheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 am

docronnie wrote:

BUT THE BEST SO FAR IS:  5% BENZOYL PEROXIDE by my experience

I learned this through a video on You Tube.  The female doll collector was using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, but my wife bought a 5% 10ml one by mistake.  Crying or Very sad Laughing

All the pen marks that the other methods were not able to remove were removed by this method.  All I did was apply the Benzoly Peroxide on top of the marks and leave the figures under the sun for 4 hours.  cheerscheerscheers

You have to repeat the process everyday to remove stubborn stains.  You can see the progress as the marks lighten day by day.  There is also a tendency for the paint to lighten as well, on some figures. cheerscheerscheers

WOW! Thankyou VERY much cheers

docronnie

Country/State : Philippines

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 4:24 pm

You are welcome, Susane! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove pen marks on plastic figures   How to remove pen marks on plastic figures Empty

Back to top Go down

How to remove pen marks on plastic figures
Page 1 of 1