Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion

Go down 
+39
Fisva
Tupolew Tu-154
Roger
pm64
donny ong
animalluvr6
Rio
lucky luke
SommoDracorex
Gulogulo76
quagga
Taos
Sergey
MARTINLATIN
nyarlahotep
scot(t)
ken yeo
Saarlooswolfhound
MartinH
Kikimalou
SyLoBe
cattlecollector
Seijun
jarda
SUSANNE
A-J
Sumo
HKHollinstone
Numa
Silver Unicornis
Dunfold
signatus
bojan
skysthelimit
Joan Milelire
widukind
Dr.Narayanan
SeanieP
Ana
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Beautiful model! Another interesting mate for my quagga hehe!

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:38 pm

A great news for collectors, at last a quagga ! It becomes very usual to see new unusual species isn't it Laughing
Thank you Eg... MOJÖ and Anna for this great newcomers.
Seijun your comment is very interesting and now I can't wait to see the quagga nostrils in real. Or maybe Anna could ask ?
About the shape of the head, it is really difficult to tell. some pics are saying you are right and some Anna is right.

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EquusQuaggaQuagga1

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EquusQuaggaQuagga2

PHOTOS : Michael LAHANAS
Back to top Go down
Seijun

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:22 am

Even with the zebra I think the head is still much different. The quagga was a subspecies of the Plains zebra. The nostrils again are on the sides, not the very front, and the profile of the muzzle is still much rounder (on all equines, the nostrils are on the sides--in a very extreme case, for instance if the animal is moving at a high speed and breathing in strongly, the nostrils might appear more forward and the muzzle might appear more flat).

Ana, thank you for the picture. You are right that the chin on those three is much closer to yours. I imagine it is affected by how relaxed the animal's jaw is.

Another thing worth noting is also the angle of the mouth. The mouths when relaxed will not be in a level line like on the Mojo model. Instead they will rest at a definite angle. This is a very common mistake on model equines.

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 Flat,550x550,075,f

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 Zebra_profile_800w

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 Tarangire-National-Park-Zebra-Side-Profile-L225111917

Kikimalou: My opinion is that a taxidermy animal should never be used as reference for sculpting a mammal, except perhaps for referencing fur markings. In most cases, the skin is the only part of the mount that was on the original animal. A form underneath is responsible for giving the skin it's shape. The form is made of foam in modern times, but before foam was invented they probably used wood, shavings, stuffing, etc to shape the skin into what they thought was correct. Basically, when you look at a taxidermy mammal you are looking at someones sculpture of the mammal with the skin stretched over it. As with any sculpture, the quality varies based on both the skill and knowledge of the artist. For some example s of truly horrible taxidermy jobs, see here: http://taxi-derpy.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Seijun on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am

Oh... what can I say?? This is a hige surprise and wonderful model!!! thank you Anna!!! Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:04 am

So.... you sculpted this? IT IS FANTASTIC! I am really in love right now...such a beautiful and elegant animal. drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:29 am

Congrats Anna! you are a star now!! cheers sunny sunny sunny

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:13 am

I'm glad Joan mentioned the Zorse, since the first thing I thought when I saw this marvelous figure is that it puts the Papo Zorse to shame. (And I want to point out that I actually quite like that Papo figure. When Susanne first introduced a thread with some pictures of it, I was enthusiastic about the model.) The Papo Zorse is a very "toyish" model and I thought this really worked to its advantage and made it very appealing. But this Quagga is on a wholly different level! It is absolutely fantastic! Seriously, Anna, you are really working wonders this year; I can't tell you how impressed I am.

I especially love the hint of tension in the back right leg -- it is lifted up ever so slightly. It is such a lovely pose and a beautifully sculpted animal! I can hardly wait to purchase it!

Back to top Go down
nyarlahotep

Country/State : kentucky

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 am

It's amazing, Anna.

t's very satisfying to see what both Mojo and Collecta have to offer this year. I never imagined I'd own a quagga that wasn't some sort of custom piece. I wouldn't even have had the imagination to include it on a wishlist.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:04 am

Seijun wrote:
Kikimalou: My opinion is that a taxidermy animal should never be used as reference for sculpting a mammal, except perhaps for referencing fur markings. In most cases, the skin is the only part of the mount that was on the original animal. A form underneath is responsible for giving the skin it's shape. The form is made of foam in modern times, but before foam was invented they probably used wood, shavings, stuffing, etc to shape the skin into what they thought was correct. Basically, when you look at a taxidermy mammal you are looking at someones sculpture of the mammal with the skin stretched over it. As with any sculpture, the quality varies based on both the skill and knowledge of the artist. For some example s of truly horrible taxidermy jobs, see here: http://taxi-derpy.tumblr.com/

You are right Seijun, thank you for the odd link ! I don't know for you but i feel a bit sick when I look at those monsters What a Face
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

Thank You for all the the kind words Silvia, Martin, Paige, Ken, Scott, Nyarlahotep and Kiki!! sunny sunny sunny

Seujin I will ask in Mojo if the shape of nostrils and mouth line can be worked before the final production. Thank You for very interesting input and I will surely remember about it also in any future work. :)

About chin shape however, well, as far as I know and could observe, the shape differ, some specimens have flatter one, at least that what I saw on photos of zebras or in the zoos and also on different horses I knew. Somehow I don't think this shape depend only on animal mood. I remember the book of Linda T. Jones , author who collected info about many different shapes of horse head (well for quite surprising purpose, I don't really believe in her theories about connection between horse face and character but it was fun to read) anyway, I remember pages in this book showing several different chin shapes, including very flat ones. So one of thoughts where I do agree with Linda is the fact that horses (so zabras, donkeys and many more) head shapes and faces are very diverse. :)

Thank You also for the scary taxidermy link, what a monsters indeed!!! affraid affraid

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
MARTINLATIN

MARTINLATIN

Country/State : CALIFORNIA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

exclamation Increiblemente exclamation
Back to top Go down
Seijun

Seijun

Country/State : USA, OR

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 am

ana wrote:

About chin shape however, well, as far as I know and could observe, the shape differ, some specimens have flatter one, at least that what I saw on photos of zebras or in the zoos and also on different horses I knew. Somehow I don't think this shape depend only on animal mood. I remember the book of Linda T. Jones , author who collected info about many different shapes of horse head (well for quite surprising purpose, I don't really believe in her theories about connection between horse face and character but it was fun to read) anyway, I remember pages in this book showing several different chin shapes, including very flat ones. So one of thoughts where I do agree with Linda is the fact that horses (so zabras, donkeys and many more) head shapes and faces are very diverse. :)

I agree that head shapes are very diverse in equines. I think re-angling the mouth and changing the nostril position would improve the Mojo model much more than a change to the chin. I am probably just bias towards a stronger chin :) Do you know the name of this book of which you speak? It sounds like something I would love to have in my collection of reference material.

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am

Seijun wrote:
ana wrote:

I agree that head shapes are very diverse in equines. I think re-angling the mouth and changing the nostril position would improve the Mojo model much more than a change to the chin. I am probably just bias towards a stronger chin :) Do you know the name of this book of which you speak? It sounds like something I would love to have in my collection of reference material.

I just asked Mojo and there is strong chance to rework nostrils and mouth shapes yet. I think it will be done :)

About book, it was interesting, first part is mainly about head shapes, second half of it is about simple massage and some exercises (and it seemed to work nice to relax some horses indeed ^^) Here is cover of this book: CLICK

Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 am

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Another must have for 2013!!!Great model!!
Back to top Go down
quagga

Country/State : Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Thank you! I love the figure! He will fit right end with my zebra herd and the zorse!
Back to top Go down
Gulogulo76

Gulogulo76

Country/State : Oklahoma, USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm

WOW! I should be in bed right now (it's 7:23 am in Bartlesville Oklahoma) but i thought I'd swing by the forum before I retire and WHAAAATTT??? A QUAGGA? affraid cheers cheers cheers YES! Amazing work! thank you, thank you, thank you! I've loved Quaga since reading the book "The Katturaan Osdysey," there's a funny and pompous but brave Quagga in it by the name of Quigga. I already have the little K&M extinct animal Quagga, and now i'll have this wonderful stallion to be with him. Picking up that Zorse as well! Well, g'night all! zzzzzzz Sleep
Back to top Go down
SommoDracorex

SommoDracorex

Country/State : Italia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Yeah! Great choice, and beautiful work Anna! I didn't expect a Quagga, now I hope to see Thylacine and Dodo in the next years cheers

Gulogulo76 wrote:
WOW! I should be in bed right now (it's 7:23 am in Bartlesville Oklahoma) but i thought I'd swing by the forum before I retire and WHAAAATTT??? A QUAGGA? affraid cheers cheers cheers YES! Amazing work! thank you, thank you, thank you! I've loved Quaga since reading the book "The Katturaan Osdysey," there's a funny and pompous but brave Quagga in it by the name of Quigga. I already have the little K&M extinct animal Quagga, and now i'll have this wonderful stallion to be with him. Picking up that Zorse as well! Well, g'night all! zzzzzzz Sleep
K&M made a Quagga? What a Face

quagga

Country/State : Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I bet it's the Playvisions quagga. K & M sometimes has the same molds.
Back to top Go down
SommoDracorex

SommoDracorex

Country/State : Italia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:47 pm

quagga wrote:
I bet it's the Playvisions quagga. K & M sometimes has the same molds.
PLAY VISIONS MADE A QUAGGA!? What a Face What a Face What a Face
lol!

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Happy to hear You like this species and figure of it!!! Thanks for all the nice words about it!!! cheers sunny cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

ana wrote:
I just asked Mojo and there is strong chance to rework nostrils and mouth shapes yet. I think it will be done :)

Great ! Sad(o)):
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm

nyarlahotep wrote:
It's amazing, Anna.

t's very satisfying to see what both Mojo and Collecta have to offer this year. I never imagined I'd own a quagga that wasn't some sort of custom piece. I wouldn't even have had the imagination to include it on a wishlist.

Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Cool queen king farao
Back to top Go down
Rio

Rio

Country/State : South Wales, UK

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Beautiful, very beautiful. Hopefully having an easier Quagga model to buy will get more publicity for the Quagga project, as I am very interested in that project.
Back to top Go down
http://welsh-tierpark.weebly.com
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 11:43 pm

So beautiful! Fantastic work Ana! drunken Sad(o)):

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion    Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mojo 2013 Quagga stallion
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Mojö Fun-
Jump to: