Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 
 

 Painted water buffalo figure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 00:45

over the weekend I painted my resin water buffalo here is the result, hope you like him!
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
alexmotoc

avatar

Country/State : Romania
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-07-08
Posts : 249

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 09:12

Back to top Go down
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 09:54

Thanks for the photo, but that is a domestic water buffalo, the wild ones from India and Asia are much lighter in color, are taller, heavier, and have much thinner but longer horns.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 39
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 11:41

Don't forget, dry mud on it's skin makes it even lighter ;-)
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
alexmotoc

avatar

Country/State : Romania
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-07-08
Posts : 249

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 18:30

Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 39
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 18:36

Right on spot
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 18:51

That is actually the same photo I used when I mixed the grey colors to paint him.

Thanks for posting the photos, there is some debate on weather the domestic and wild buffalo are even the same species. In the scientific literature they are treated as different species, (domestic one called Bubalus bubalis and the wild one is Bubalus arnee) and most people say they are different which makes the wild species very endangered. My thouhts are that the domestic buffalo was at one time a wild buffalo that was hybridized with a domestic cow, which makes the name invalid because it is a hybrid of sorts.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
alexmotoc

avatar

Country/State : Romania
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-07-08
Posts : 249

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 19:56

@Philter4 wrote:
That is actually the same photo I used when I mixed the grey colors to paint him.

Thanks for posting the photos, there is some debate on weather the domestic and wild buffalo are even the same species. In the scientific literature they are treated as different species, (domestic one called Bubalus bubalis and the wild one is Bubalus arnee) and most people say they are different which makes the wild species very endangered. My thouhts are that the domestic buffalo was at one time a wild buffalo that was hybridized with a domestic cow, which makes the name invalid because it is a hybrid of sorts.
i,m sure you,re right. but with this hibrydisation change the DNA and turn this animal in another subspecies. anyway , it,s a wonderful model...congratulation
Back to top Go down
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 20:53

[quote="alexmotoc"]
@Philter4 wrote:
i,m sure you,re right. but with this hibrydisation change the DNA and turn this animal in another subspecies. anyway , it,s a wonderful model...congratulation

Hybridization does change the DNA, but it does not count if humans do the inbreeding as far as biologists are concerned, otherwise we as humans could make our own species whenever we wanted to. Still it is a very interesting debate, and evolution and biology are my background when I was in school so I find it fascinating.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
remowshake

avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 21
Joined : 2010-11-17
Posts : 1033

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 23:03

Congratulations Phil!!

I really love them! I see them for painting, painting, stay more beautiful!

Philip afro

_________________
Philip - The horses lover! afro
Back to top Go down
alexmotoc

avatar

Country/State : Romania
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-07-08
Posts : 249

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   7/12/2010, 23:13

[quote="Philter4"]
@alexmotoc wrote:
@Philter4 wrote:
i,m sure you,re right. but with this hibrydisation change the DNA and turn this animal in another subspecies. anyway , it,s a wonderful model...congratulation

Hybridization does change the DNA, but it does not count if humans do the inbreeding as far as biologists are concerned, otherwise we as humans could make our own species whenever we wanted to. Still it is a very interesting debate, and evolution and biology are my background when I was in school so I find it fascinating.
i think you have seen on youtube the video 10 best hibrids or something like this. i have golden pheasants and lady amherest pheasants...they are two species distinctly....but they are crossing and the offsprings are fertile....but they aren,t another species...they are hibryds like your buffalo....only the biologist named domestic buffalo(Bubalus bubalis)...cause are a very intresting hibrid by the economic way....( sorry for my enghlish)
Back to top Go down
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   8/12/2010, 00:08

There are lots of animals that will cross breed and create fertile offspring in captivity that would not ever mate in the wild. I have a male silver pheasant with my pair of Swinehoe's pheasants and the silver wants to breed with the female even though they are able to breed and produce fertile young she wont accept him as her mate because the male Swinehoe's is there for her to choose. If I want to breed them I would have to seperate her so she has no choice.

Anther example of htis is lions and tigers, there is no doubt that they are different species but in captivity they will and often do and produce a fertile baby. Even mules are sometimes fertile, usually it is the male but every once in a while a female will also be fertile. When you breed a fertile mule to a horse the baby is genetically identicle to a horse but if you breed the same animal to a donkey the baby is genetically a donkey. When a mule is fertile it gets all of the genetic material for it's young from the pure bred animal that it mates with. Just some more interesting facts rolling around in my head.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1651

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   8/12/2010, 20:08

Only recommendation I have is use a flat paint instead of glossy(so won't look shiny).
I would ad a little brown to the gray color as well.
Back to top Go down
Philter4

avatar

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 1405

PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   8/12/2010, 20:36

@baltimore zoo wrote:
Only recommendation I have is use a flat paint instead of glossy(so won't look shiny).
I would ad a little brown to the gray color as well.

The paint was still wet when I took this photo, it is not so shiny now, and I thought about the brown, I think that is a really good idea so you may yet see another photo with some brownish highlights in him!
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1651

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   8/12/2010, 21:38

From most of the photos, the water buffalo are more of a brownish black.
Again, great model! Look forward to the new shots!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Painted water buffalo figure   

Back to top Go down
 
Painted water buffalo figure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mojo Fun NEW for 2014: SUN BEAR
» MAROLIN water buffalo, Bactrian camel HAUSSER and more oldies
» Schleich Retireds
» Christmas Gift from CollectA - some new 2014 figurines
» My new 19 CollectA of June are arrived :))

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Customs - Homemade models - Non toy animal replicas :: Homemade models-
Jump to: