Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year

Go down 
+19
scot(t)
DinoLord
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
donny ong
costicuba
pm64
citizen5
MartinH
Sergey
Bloodrayne
LeeAnn
Takama
Saien
Melekh
niller
Florian
Noémi
Dutch Bear
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 pm

That's interesting, I wonder if they use resin exclusively to make the base for cost reasons? I've never seen the model and base in two different materials before - usually it's all resin.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:00 am

LeeAnn wrote:
That's interesting, I wonder if they use resin exclusively to make the base for cost reasons? I've never seen the model and base in two different materials before - usually it's all resin.

Sorry, base is made of polystone instead. Figure is made of pvc to follow CE safety standards. :)

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:01 am

1. Schleich - Pantaceratops
2. PAPO - Archaeopterux
3. PAPO - Dilophosaurus
4. REBOR - Y-rex
5. REBOR- T- rex

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:17 am

Roger wrote:

Sorry, base is made of polystone instead. Figure is made of pvc to follow CE safety standards. :)

That's okay! Resin is similar to polystone - you're not too far off Wink

Takama

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 am

LeeAnn I have Resin and Polystone figures, all i can say is Poly-stone is more brittle. Also, Yes, Rebor s models are made of PVC while the bases are made of Polly-resin. I think that the PVC is what downs there prices when compared to Sideshow Or Favorite Desktop models which are completely made of Poly-resin and can fetch High end Prices.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 2:57 am

Thank you Takama! I also think polystone is much lighter than resin - I just sold a large polystone model and packed up in the box it still only weighed 14oz. My resin models are much heavier.

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 am

The expression 'Y-Rex' makes me cringe. I can't help it. This, by itself, should disqualify Rebor.

(Okay, I don't really mean it -- of course it shouldn't disqualify the models -- but it is one of the most scientifically unsound nicknames for a Yutyrannus imaginable.)
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 am

Collecta: Mosasaurus
Collecta: Arsinoitherium
Safari: Pachyrhinosaurus
Schleich: Pentaceratops
Papo: Triceratops baby

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 11:44 am

Sergey wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Everyone can vote for Rebor, nobody forbidden this Very Happy

scratch scratch scratch scratch ...Rebor has gorgeous dino-models of course... But Rebor is very new brand which we had know not long ago... It,s absent in our collage-maps... Christophe (and Rogerio), I think you did must to say about Rebor earlier... What we can do? scratch scratch scratch scratch

[REBOR : T-REX]
[REBOR : Y-REX]
1. Collecta mosasaurus
2. Papo Archaeopteryx
3. Papo  Dilophosaurus
4. Collecta Xenoceratops
5. Collecta Ichthyovenator

scratch scratch scratch Suspect

You can do what you want Sergey cheers What else ? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Sergey wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Everyone can vote for Rebor, nobody forbidden this Very Happy

scratch scratch scratch scratch ...Rebor has gorgeous dino-models of course... But Rebor is very new brand which we had know not long ago... It,s absent in our collage-maps... Christophe (and Rogerio), I think you did must to say about Rebor earlier... What we can do? scratch scratch scratch scratch

[REBOR : T-REX]
[REBOR : Y-REX]
1. Collecta mosasaurus
2. Papo Archaeopteryx
3. Papo  Dilophosaurus
4. Collecta Xenoceratops
5. Collecta Ichthyovenator

scratch scratch scratch Suspect

You can do what you want Sergey cheers   What else ? Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol! lol! lol! lol! Well old man! So again...

1. REBOR : T-REX
2. REBOR : Y-REX
3. Collecta mosasaurus
4. Papo Archaeopteryx
5. Papo Dilophosaurus

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Papo Archaeopteryx
Papo Dilophosaurus
Papo Triceratops baby
Collecta mosasaurus
Safari Pachyrhinosaurus

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 4:23 pm

scot(t) wrote:
The expression 'Y-Rex' makes me cringe. I can't help it. This, by itself, should disqualify Rebor.

(Okay, I don't really mean it -- of course it shouldn't disqualify the models -- but it is one of the most scientifically unsound nicknames for a Yutyrannus imaginable.)

Laughing Y-Rex is actually only a marketing thing. Rebor identify all figures with complete scientific name contrarily to many other brands that use only the genus. Yutyrannus is not a problem once it is a genus with only one known species but with the new ceratosaurus the story is different. Very Happy
For example, I appreciate that Battat identify their TERRA figures with scientific name although the name of the brand sounds similar to the word potato in Portuguese. Terra is the Portuguese word to our planet but also means ground. So, we have something like ground potato what makes sense but not the most attractive name to a brand of dinosaur toys. Laughing
The name Y-REX has some advantages, first it is easy to find online once it is a kind of neologism, then, it links the figure to the popular T-rex. As you know, yutyrannus is a tyrannosauroid, so that link makes sense.
Y-rex basically means feathered king instead of feathered tyrant, tyrant is a "bad" sensationalistic name created by paleonthologits, the same that criticize the sensationalism in modern days. Rex is an impactant name without any kind of negative connotation.
As a last note, this is a marketing strategy without any consequences to the final design of the figure. We cannot say the same in brands like Papo or Schleich where the final design is clearly influenced by their marketing and target. We have the known examples of Schleich with their extra cute/chubby figures targeted to young girls or some Papo with high artistic level but completely distorted in "steroids" and with an evil looking to match the taste of young boys.
REBOR is something that collectors have always dreamed, a collection of stricking figures with a prestige level, a premium presentation, true collectibles ressembling some resin models but that can be used like toys and that are much cheaper than resin figures. They only need to mature scientifically to their figures match their ambitious presentations.
Man, after all this long off topic comment I think I deserve from REBOR a U-RAPTOR for free! Laughing Laughing

citizen5

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:46 pm

CollectA Arsinoitherium
CollectA Carcharodontosaurus
CollectA Ichthyovenator
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus with Prey
CollectA Bistahieversor
CollectA Mosasaurus
Safari Pachyrhinosaurus
Safari Suchomimus
Safari Monolophosaurus
Papo Dilophosaurus
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:54 pm

citizen5 wrote:
CollectA Arsinoitherium
CollectA Carcharodontosaurus
CollectA Ichthyovenator
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus with Prey
CollectA Bistahieversor
CollectA Mosasaurus
Safari  Pachyrhinosaurus
Safari Suchomimus
Safari Monolophosaurus
Papo Dilophosaurus

Thanks for your participation but could you please select only 5? Very Happy

pm64

Country/State : Firenze,Italy

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 6:06 pm

1 Collecta Carcharodontosaurus
2 Collecta Gastonia
3 Collecta Mosasaurus
4 Bullyland Lambeosaurus
5 Papo Dilophosaurus
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Roger wrote:
scot(t) wrote:

Laughing Y-Rex is actually only a marketing thing. Rebor identify all figures with complete scientific name contrarily to many other brands that use only the genus. Yutyrannus is not a problem once it is a genus with only one known species but with the new ceratosaurus the story is different. Very Happy
For example, I appreciate that Battat identify their TERRA figures with scientific name although the name of the brand sounds similar to the word potato in Portuguese. Terra is the Portuguese word to our planet but also means ground. So, we have something like ground potato what makes sense but not the most attractive name to a brand of dinosaur toys. Laughing
The name Y-REX has some advantages, first it is easy to find online once it is a kind of neologism, then, it links the figure to the popular T-rex. As you know, yutyrannus is a tyrannosauroid, so that link makes sense.
Y-rex basically means feathered king instead of feathered tyrant, tyrant is a "bad" sensationalistic name created by paleonthologits, the same that criticize the sensationalism in modern days. Rex is an impactant name without any kind of negative connotation.

As a last note, this is a marketing strategy without any consequences to the final design of the figure. We cannot say the same in brands like Papo or Schleich where the final design is clearly influenced by their marketing and target. We have the known examples of Schleich with their extra cute/chubby figures targeted to young girls or some Papo with high artistic level but completely distorted in "steroids" and with an evil looking to match the taste of young boys.
REBOR is something that collectors have always dreamed, a collection of stricking figures with a prestige level, a premium presentation, true collectibles ressembling some resin models but that can be used like toys and that are much cheaper than resin figures. They only need to mature scientifically to their figures match their ambitious presentations.
Man, after all this long off topic comment I think I deserve from  REBOR a U-RAPTOR for free! Laughing Laughing

Laughing hahaha Roger, after this...for shure you deserve 100% 1 of every model by REBOR for free ...and pleace, one (for free) for me lol!
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 11:23 pm

Roger wrote:
scot(t) wrote:

Man, after all this long off topic comment I think I deserve from  REBOR a U-RAPTOR for free! Laughing Laughing

I understand that it is a marketing strategy. And I understand the motivation behind it. But I don't like it.

This is just a case of preference I believe. I find Rebor's marketing approach extremely off-putting. It just rubs me the wrong way. But I understand that this is my issue. The models themselves are quite nice.

Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 pm

1. Mosasaurus (CollectA)
2. Gastonia (CollectA)
3. Juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex (CollectA)
4. Pachyrhinosaurus (Battat)
5. Tyrannosaurus rex (Carnegie)

Yeah, that’s right, the Carnegie T. rex. One of the most underrated, under appreciated models of 2014.

(Apologies to Battat’s Nanshiungosaurus and Dacentrurus, Papo’s Archaeopteryx and Monolophosaurus, and to Kaiyodo's Capsule Q Prehistoric Marine Reptile series. The Bullyland Lambeosaurus was also good, as was some of the Wild Safari Dinosaurs.)

This was a really difficult list to make. I can't believe that the Nanshiungosaurus by Battat or either of the Papo models didn't make it on my list. The CollectA Mosasaurus was the only model that was on every version of this list that I entertained.
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 am

CollectA Mosasaurus
CollectA Quetzalcoatlus
CollectA Ichthyovenator
Bullyland Lambeosaurus
CollectA Arsinoitherium

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 am

CollectA Ichthyovenator
Kinto Wolly mammoth
Safari Ltd Ammonite
Papo Archaeopteryx
Bullyland lambeosaurus
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 am

HURRAY, ONE more for the lambeosaurus cheers

john2xtheman

john2xtheman

Country/State : u.s.a.

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 pm

5 best prehistoric figures of the year,huh?
Okay then...
Carnegie Collection 2014 Tyrannosaurus rex
Favorite Collection Soft Model Series Anomalocaris canadensis
Battat Terra Cryolophosaurus ellioti
Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum Plesiosaurus dolichodeirus and Pliosaurus kevani

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 2:53 am

Papo Dilophosaurus, Battat Cryolophosaurus, Kaiyodo Plesiosaurus, Wild Safari Monolophosaurus, Battat Pachyrhinosaurus
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 am

john2xtheman wrote:

Carnegie Collection 2014 Tyrannosaurus rex

Yay! Thank you. I don't feel so alone in my admiration for this model. (It was in my top 5 too.)

Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 7:39 pm

It's hard to name those that I like, bcos I dont know that much about dinosaurs and their names... Neutral @

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year   The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The STS 2014 Prehistoric Figure of the Year
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next