Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn

Go down 
+2
NightLioness
Viking Spawn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Country/State : U.S.A. Ohio

Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn Empty
PostSubject: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Well, I finally finished it for now.  Packed with tons of photos and information about cicadas!  I will be adding cicada sound files down the road too!

Enjoy!

GREAT LAKES CICADA PAGE!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LINK:
Great Lakes Cicada Page

Wink

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am

Ooooh, nice! Very Happy When I have more time I will look to it better, but for now: It goes to my faves :3

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:40 am

Amazing work cheers
Right now I don't have time to read it all, but I look very much forward to doing so !

So interesting when you begin to look closer at them Very Happy
I even had no idea that there were several kinds of cicades in Northern USA study

Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 8:41 am

Very nice looking site. Kudos.
I just read the first page: "Introducing the Cicada" and I found a big cliffhanger there.
Just above the first photo, there is the sentence: " Only the males are able to produce sound by vibrating two membranes located" ...... and then, NOTHING!

Where? WHERE are they located?
Tell meeeee! bounce bounce bounce

Laughing

I'll be reading the rest after dinner.

FluffySlipers

Country/State : Wiltshire,

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Book marked it, I'll be back to study later cyclops
Back to top Go down
Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
Very nice looking site. Kudos.
I just read the first page: "Introducing the Cicada" and I found a big cliffhanger there.
Just above the first photo, there is the sentence: " Only the males are able to produce sound by vibrating two membranes located" ...... and then, NOTHING!

Where? WHERE are they located?
Tell meeeee! bounce  bounce  bounce

Laughing

I'll be reading the rest after dinner.

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

And special thanks to Bloodrayne for pointing out the site error. Somehow, the image below got bumped "up" a little too high. I probably accidentally done that during one of my edits. Oops.

My apologies, but at least that was an easy fix. If you stumble across any other issues (or anyone else for that matter too), please let me know. It wouldn't surprise me if something else got overlooked too. Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Fantastic website about these creatures! I haven't read it all at once but I will revisit it for sure. Loved to read the introduction about cicadas.
Please let us know when sounds are available, I'd love to check it.

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Roger wrote:
Fantastic website about these creatures! I haven't read it all at once but I will revisit it for sure. Loved to read the introduction about cicadas.
Please let us know when sounds are available, I'd love to check it.

Will do.  I'm still learning right now.  I'll be recording more this summer too.  

And thank you. Very Happy

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 10:22 pm

I added a brief chorus audio on my site's front page.  It was recorded a while back.  I'll be adding new audio files this coming spring!  Wink

PS:  Also check out my new Mantis site too!  There is a link to it on my cicada page and will post the info here in another thread....  Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Viking Spawn wrote:
I added a brief chorus audio on my site's front page.  It was recorded a while back.  I'll be adding new audio files this coming spring!  Wink

PS:  Also check out my new Mantis site too!  There is a link to it on my cicada page and will post the info here in another thread....  Very Happy

That's great, we can hear some subtle song like birds, are these really birds or just the effect of the chorus of cicadas? Unfortunately I can't listen to insects where I live but when I am in rural areas, I love to listen to the non related European mole crickets sounds. :)

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Roger wrote:
Viking Spawn wrote:

That's great, we can hear some subtle song like birds, are these really birds or just the effect of the chorus of cicadas? Unfortunately I can't listen to insects where I live but when I am in rural areas, I love to listen to the non related European mole crickets sounds. :)

Those are real birds you hear in the background. They are the cicada's biggest predators and will gorge themselves on them when they first appear out of the ground.

That was the only archived sound file I could find which is more than 10 years old. I will be recording new sound files this summer. I'm so looking forward to doing that!

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 11:40 am

Viking Spawn wrote:
Roger wrote:
Viking Spawn wrote:

Those are real birds you hear in the background.  They are the cicada's biggest predators and will gorge themselves on them when they first appear out of the ground.  

That was the only archived sound file I could find which is more than 10 years old.  I will be recording new sound files this summer.  I'm so looking forward to doing that!  

Thanks, the sound file is great and I am sure these birds are quite happy. Laughing

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 05, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm EXCITED and sooooo ready for this!!!!   BROOD V to invade Ohio (my home state) within the next week or so!!!  Camera ready: check!!!!  (This is going to be a busy month for me!!! ) cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

FULL GALLERY:

MY WEBSITE:

cyclops  bounce  Twisted Evil

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 05, 2016 4:45 pm

That must be a very special experience! Please share these great moments with us. I'd love to see your noisy reportage then. Laughing

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Roger wrote:
That must be a very special experience! Please share these great moments with us. I'd love to see your noisy reportage then. Laughing

Oh do not fear! I've eagerly waited 17 years for their return! I plan on taking plenty of new photos and obtaining sound files too!!!! That pic I used in my previous post was from their parents' last visit back in 1999!

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 19, 2016 5:13 am

Still awaiting the arrival of Brood V in northern Ohio.  Colder weather has delayed the emergence which is disappointing.  Sad

In the meantime, I've added approximately 40 sound files to my website and will be adding more in the near future too.  Enjoy the serenade.   Wink

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 19, 2016 9:25 am

Amazing !!!! We don't have them here, but I heard them once in South Carolina.Shocked

Well, and then they are sold in larger pet-shops for feeding insect eating critters Rolling Eyes

Still, I had no idea that they are so interesting and even have different sounds for their mood !
Thankyou for opening yet another window to the magic world of nature for me cheers

Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 5:08 am

Your welcome Susanne! I'm expecting an explosion of them sometime next week! I got my camera and traveling bag ready!!! cyclops

NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 5:22 am

I wish you all the success you need to capture every step they make Very Happy
Think about your battery or your camera please Laughing
(The agony of an empty camera battery during photo-shoots o.0)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 6:36 am

NightLioness wrote:

Laughing Laughing So you tried that too What a Face Laughing

NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 8:34 am

SUSANNE wrote:
NightLioness wrote:

Laughing Laughing So you tried that too What a Face Laughing

Unfortunately, yes silent pale Laughing

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 8:56 am

I have about 16 rechargeable batteries fully charged, a new 66" tripod, audio recording devices, and 4 32gb memory cards!  I hope I'm not forgetting anything......... Wink

NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyFri May 20, 2016 9:07 am

Viking Spawn wrote:
I have about 16 rechargeable batteries fully charged, a new 66" tripod, audio recording devices, and 4 32gb memory cards!  I hope I'm not forgetting anything......... Wink

Nice!! Very Happy Well, some snacks and drinks to keep you hydrated and fed XD Razz

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyThu May 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Updates coming soon with plenty of new images and audio! Stay tuned!!! Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your noisy days with us. I really enjoy also trying to hear the birds, some have calls quite similar to European species. :)

PostSubject: Re: Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn   Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn Empty

Back to top Go down

Great Lakes Cicada Page by Viking Spawn
Page 1 of 1