Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?

Go down 
+2
widukind
TheLastStardust
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheLastStardust

TheLastStardust

Country/State : Netherlands

Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? Empty
PostSubject: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Hello all! :3

I am thinking about this for awhile now, and i think it would be really cool to collect animals in scale. Very Happy
But i don't know where to begin..? I mean... wich are the best brands/animals to begin with if you have.. for example, mostly Schleich..? scratch
I know this is a hard task but also a challenging and fun one, I hope someone can help me a bit  Rolling Eyes I'm not the best in Math but i know that for example the Safari LTD Wildlife wonders elephant is in scale to most Schleich/safari/papo or...?  scratch

Thank you and i'm sorry if there's allready a topic like this, I couldnt find one!

-Stardust  Like a Star @ heaven

http://stardust-at-dawn.deviantart.com/gallery/60947663/FigurePhotography
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 6:00 pm

My local collector friend collect all in 1:20. He have any old Lineol, any Schleich and some smaller animals by PV. I am sure it isnt all 1:20 but he say some animals could be a little smaller or bigger :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
TheLastStardust

TheLastStardust

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 6:01 pm

widukind wrote:
My local collector friend collect all in 1:20. He have any old Lineol, any Schleich and some smaller animals by PV. I am sure it isnt all 1:20 but he say some animals could be a little smaller or bigger :)

Thank you! cheers That helps me a lot! :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Nardien, although we already discussed about it before, it is a question that is more or less transversal to several collectors so it is not a problem to bring it back.
Andreas explained it in a simple and effective way. It depends how seriously you want to take the scale. If you want to keep it with rigor, it will be hard to find figures for many species depending of the scale of your choice. It is because the real proportions between animals is much more dramatic than what we see in toy shape.
The Safari Wild Life Wonders African elephant is officially a 1:24 figure, to put a meerkat in that scale you needed one with 1cm. Laughing
The first thing you have to do is to determine which scale is better for your taste, the 1/15 of most major brand wild cats, the 1/20 of zebras, after doing that choice, you can work with the best approach even if it is not exactly correct. It works because there are individuals of the same species with different sizes. Let's suppose you'll choose Schleich zebra, the Safari WW elephant will work nicely with it even they are not exactly the same scale, though, you have to find lions smaller than those from major brands or choose the smallest of them. Small animals in that scale will be a real trouble as I exemplified with the meerkat but again you can find the better approach. You don't have a 1cm meerkat but you can choose the smallest among the available ones or in some species use youngsters when they're similar to their parents.
If you ever start your collection, I am sure you can open a topic or use this topic to build your collection and we will support you with suggestions for sure. Very Happy
A last alternative is collecting homemade figures, most sculptors work at the same scale, but much probably it will cost a fortune. affraid

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Hurraaay for Roger and Andreas !!! cheers

I sat for a long time and speculated when I first saw your question, but couldn't think of anything sensible to write geek Laughing

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 9:17 am

You know i havent a knowledge about scales because it isnt interesting for my collection. But my local friend collect about 60 years and he have a lot of figurines.

And was Noahs Pals not in 1:20 too?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 pm

widukind wrote:
........ And was Noahs Pals not in 1:20 too?

1 : 24 Very Happy

TheLastStardust

TheLastStardust

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you so much everyone, especialy Roger !! Very Happy This sure helps me a lot! cheers
I might open a topic or indeed use this one if i ever start a scale collection! <3
First I need to save up money for that WW Elephant Laughing

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 8:58 pm

Companies could make it easier by stating the scale. Some do for a specific theme then forget about all the other stuff they make!

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 9:26 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Companies could make it easier by stating the scale. Some do for a specific theme then forget about all the other stuff they make!

The problem is that even when brands announce a scale, it is not necessarily accurate, far from it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?   Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..? Empty

Back to top Go down

Collecting animals in scale... where to begin..?
Page 1 of 1