Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets) Empty
PostSubject: Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)   Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 am

Review of the complete set of Spiders by K&M - International, Bulk Sets (1997). I was completely unaware of this set until Roger pointed them out to me on the Sales and Trade pages on the STS forum, and Sebastian on that forum was nice enough to sell them to me.

There are 6 figures, 5 of which are I believe 'unique' figures (only representative of their species). They are typical K&M tube-sized figures. They are marked with a common name; the Latin names are of my assigning.

On to the figures:

1. desert tarantula, Aphonopelma chalcodes. One of the unique species and an animal I grew up with in Arizona. The tarantula in the Safari LTD Venomous Creatures TOOB is probably better attributed to A. hentzi.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. black widow, Latrodectus mactans. This is not a unique figure, having been made by Safari LTD (Smithsonian and Hidden Kingdom Insects), Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (Venomous Spiders), Play Visions (Habitat Earth: Tarantulas and Spiders), Club Earth (Spiders to Go), and Discovery Channel (Deadly Kiss: Poisonous Animals), and I am sure many others (not to mention four other species in the genus I have!).

3. African baboon spider, Pelinobius muticus. Another unique figure and the only African theraphosid I am familiar with! Sculpt is very similar to the desert tarantula, above.

4. spiny orb-weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis. The coolest one in any of these spider sets! I have a confession to make, I have often thought about pitching this species to Safari, namely because it occurs in southern FL (Safari is based out of Miami, FL). And I also secretly wondered if it would ever be a Spiders TOOB and if so, would this show up in it. And there was one all along!!!!

5. Mabel orchard spider, Leucauge venusta. Not only is this a unique figure, but I believe the only figure of a member of the family Tetragnathidae (long-jawed orb-weaver); well, it's my first!!!

6. St. Andrew's cross spider, Argiope keyserlingi, an Australian orb-weaver (how did the Yowies miss this one?)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)   Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 5:18 am

A very rare set too :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)   Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets) EmptyFri Aug 25, 2017 7:54 am

The Gasteracantha spider is too cool!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)   Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets) Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Spiders (K&M International - Bulk Sets)
Page 1 of 1