Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

caracal's collection

Go down 
+26
bmathison1972
Jill
George
Joliezac
Advicot
Kikimalou
sunny
Bonnie
Taos
RtasVadumee
spacelab
costicuba
Steve170
rogerpgvg
Tiermann
SUSANNE
75senta75
Pardofelis
landrover
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Megaptera
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Roger
Caracal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

caracal's collection - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Love the Musk Oxen!!I had the Bighorn sheep as a youngster and remember repainting it into a Dall's Sheep!

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyThu Oct 13, 2022 11:27 pm

Oh you think they are Bighorns?.. Why not?.. I thought they were Mouflons.. So I could repaint them as mouflons, Bighorns or Dall's sheep.. :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 12:30 am

Caracal wrote:
Oh you think they are Bighorns?.. Why not?.. I thought they were Mouflons.. So I could repaint them as mouflons, Bighorns or Dall's sheep.. :)

Those species are all mouflons. I agree you can paint them as different species, even as a urial or Argali. Obviously the horns will probably match some better than others but that is really hard to determine.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 10:39 am

When I was a young collector-player, these Prior mouflons seemed rather strange to me for the only mouflons I had seen by these times in the zoo of Montpellier (or shot by hunters in my village too!) were Corsica mouflons, rather short in body-shape. Then, later, they made me think to Argali whose body proportions seem closer.. :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks to your post, I realized the mouflon page on TAW is outdated. Not being a scientific source, we use Wikipedia to keep some consistency between the editing work of each editor.
Mouflon and European mouflon are now considered distinct species being the former from Asia and wild while the latter is from Europe and feral. It has been a big troulbe to find the right identification for each mouflon figure. When the brand does not identify it and there is no geographic reference, they all go to the mouflon page. Laughing Though, a good number of these figures are specifically sold as European mouflons so it is important to open a specific page for them or to rename the mouflon page to European mouflon because it is what they were supposed to be initially. Not only the Prior model is hard to identify, this Manurba is another example and some look like goats like the Miniland or Funrise.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 pm

..and the first Prior version who look like.. Takins! Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Indeed! Laughing Do you have a close up picture where I can see it on a side view?

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 4:45 pm

Here it is:

.. a new species of mouflon?.. :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 5:56 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 2:59 pm

OH, thank you, Alain! It is not absolutely obvious it is a takin but it surely looks more like a takin than a mouflon.
If it is a wild species, it deserves to be studied, probably one of those obscure Asian caprids. It is actually a pretty model.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 5:46 pm

Thank you for clarifying that the models were Mouflons.I just assumed they were Bighorns when I was younger!

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 7:49 pm

But maybe they are! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySat Oct 22, 2022 5:33 pm

Caracal wrote:
Here it is:

.. a new species of mouflon?.. :)

Roger wrote:
OH, thank you, Alain! It is not absolutely obvious it is a takin but it surely looks more like a takin than a mouflon.
If it is a wild species, it deserves to be studied, probably one of those obscure Asian caprids. It is actually a pretty model.

Well scratch I can't see anything obvious on this one Laughing I have it for a long time and for me it is still a great miss or a great mystery Wink

No wild caprinae have horns pointing completely forward, takins are no exception.

My best guess would be an odd Domestic ram with horns like this one or that one
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Is it known if this misterious sheep was sold together with wild or farm animals?
Considering it is a domesticated one, we have a huge array of breeds to investigate. affraid

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptySun Oct 23, 2022 8:59 pm

This figurine belongs to a long line of wild animals offered as primes in boxes of rusks (1 per box). I didn't like too much ruskes but I swallowed many of them at each breakfast to get other figurines!
As there were only wild animals, I think they are supposed to be mouflons! The mouflons of the second serie are far more realistic (see aboveon the previous page). :)

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 4:27 am

Caracal wrote:
thank you Simone! :)

Schleich way to accuracy:

1-leopards:

2-jaguars:

is you more yellow next to the jaguar 2002 is not leopard?
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 9:32 am

Leoo Past wrote:
Caracal wrote:

1-leopards:

2-jaguars:

Very Happy You're perfectly right, it's the 14 311 leopard released, like the 14 312 jaguar on its right side, on 2003!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 2:00 pm

Caracal wrote:
This figurine belongs to a long line of wild animals offered as primes in boxes of rusks (1 per box). I didn't like too much ruskes but I swallowed many of them at each breakfast to get other figurines!
As there were only wild animals, I think they are supposed to be mouflons! The mouflons of the second serie are far more realistic (see aboveon the previous page). :)

The sacrifices we make to earn a few figures. Laughing
So it is officially a wild animal, confusion between mouflon and mouton perhaps.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 4:18 pm

.. maybe mouflons were not well known in Macau! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 6:02 pm

Caracal wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
Caracal wrote:

1-leopards:

2-jaguars:

Very Happy   You're perfectly right, it's the 14 311 leopard released, like the 14 312 jaguar on its right side, on 2003!
beautiful all those that leopard is my favorite
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2022 2:54 am

Caracal wrote:
..and the first Prior version who look like.. Takins! Laughing

ah they are so beautiful!! those elegant legs, and black spiky horns!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2022 5:12 pm

Very Happy Thank you Annette!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 pm

I think I would agree with Roger! Smile Smile
I remember getting bags of made in Hong Kong models when younger and they quite frequently mixed up wild and farm animals!!!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2022 5:37 pm

Sometimes those themes are interchangeable. Look how much a British Soay sheep looks like a wild/feral mouflon.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2022 7:13 pm

Many thanks for your replies Taos and Rogério!  Very Happy

..sure Soay Sheep are survivals from iron ages, when the european sheep had not yet wool.. and corsica mouflons are from Neolithic domestic sheep too!

But on my french forum, searching on Prior primes post, I found that some domestic animals have also been released: one horse, two sheep (male and female) and one pig! I had never seen them before and never found them in the numerous ruskes boxes I, and my comrades, used to buy .

here is the sheep male (the ewe has no horns):

(picture from le-ludoprimophile on french forum "Soldat plastique")

So, since these two sheep belong to the same Prior first serie, we can think these strange yellow sheep are mouflons of a yet undidentified species! And moreover, I must add that these moufflons are ewes since there also were mouflons males!

here is one:

(from Le-ludoprimophile too)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

caracal's collection
Page 16 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next