Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Empty
PostSubject: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 pm

I was visiting TAW and found casually this page: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Kaiyodo_cQM_Okinawa_Red_Milkweed_Beetle that shows an image a very well done red blister beetle of the genus Synhoria, however is depicted as a milkweed longhorn beetle (Tetraopes tetrophthalmus) that is an absolutely different insect. Please can somebody correct this error on TAW?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Good catch, Isidro!

Just to clarify, the beetle illustrated on that page is the Kaiyodo Cissites cephalotes (some authors use the genus name Synhoria, but the figure was marketed as Cissites). It is a blister beetle in the family Meloidae.

In English the name 'red milkweed beetle' is generally reserved for members of the family Cerambycidae in the genus Tetraopes.

So, all that needs to be done, is change 'Okinawa Red Milkweed Beetle' to 'Cissites cephalotes'. Or, if you want to use common names, you can say 'Okinawa Red Blister Beetle' (in Entomology, common names are usually useless anyway and many of us don't use them at all).

@Roger can tend to this!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 6:51 pm

Oh, Cissites cephalotes is the name that I was searching into my brain, but I couldn't find it! So I searched a bit in Google and found Synhoria, tough is not a name that I remember, I tought this the insect in question. Thanks for refresh my memory with the correct name! :)

Really surprising that these two genus are different, being so similar. But hey, maybe is a case of convergent evolution, such as happens in Meloe and Berberomeloe (very similar appareance but belonging to different tribes) :-)

Yes, Okinawa red blister beetle would be an appropiate substitution title for the TAW page :) The scientific name that I wrote is because is just the one that TAW says for this figure (click on the common name for go to the species page and here it appears). By other hand, Tetraopes tetrophthalmus is an American species and no not occurs naturally at Okinawa island :-)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks a lot for pointing it, Isidro and also Blaine for your imput. Actually, corrections are very important for TAI once we are just a little number of editors working with loads of pages and pictures. We often cannot check if species are correct and we assume things as we find it.
There are several more errors, so I may recycle this topic to motivate people using the forum to help editors fixing what is not correct. :)

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 pm

I have another doubt, Roger: the Toy Animal Wiki is acronymized TAI? I tought it should be TAW, but I've seen writen as TAI in a number of occasions...

Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Pardofelis, if you study Toy Animal Wiki carefully, you can find much more errors. It is very good resource (esp. after closing CollectorQuest) but you can not trust everything you read here Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
I have another doubt, Roger: the Toy Animal Wiki is acronymized TAI? I tought it should be TAW, but I've seen writen as TAI in a number of occasions...

TAW stands for Toy Animal Wiki while TAI stands for toyanimal.info, the address of the website. We used to use TAI for a long time but maybe TAW is more correct. As it is a website without any marketologic intension, , we never gave much atention to it.
Please let us know other mistakes you find, it is good to have some people checking the work that a few editors spend lots of hours and hours working without any finantial compensation, only to give a good source of information to other collectors of toy animal figures.

jarda wrote:
Pardofelis, if you study Toy Animal Wiki carefully, you can find much more errors. It is very good resource (esp. after closing CollectorQuest) but you can not trust everything you read here Laughing

Jarda, I know there isn't any kind of depreciation in your comment. Afterall, it is a fact. We can't trust everything we find at the wiki, there are a few good reasons. One of them is that we use many other online sources that we cannot trust either.
The other important point, is that the project is too ambitious considering the little number of people working for free on it. However, there are much more correct informations than mistakes and it is, in any way, comparable to CollectorsQuest. Toy Animal Wiki provides much more and more complete information about this subject than CQ. CQ was a good site at its time because we didn't have anything decent to compare. You provided, for instance, some precious informations about Play Visions, what you provided was far more than what we could find on CQ and now what you find on TAI, is far more than what you provided. If you are not a editor/contributor, it is a pity to our community of collectors once I am sure you could improve it a lot with your knowledge. Though, you can use this topic to share with us what you find wrong, I am sure one of the editors will give its precious time to fix it.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyThu Apr 11, 2019 8:03 pm

People that does titanic encyclopedic work for free demonstrates true love and passion for the subject of this work. A thing that must be applauded Applause Applause Applause

(Since I do a similar thing, I can understand very much your proud about your useful website) :)

P. S. I decided to check which figures I have that are not illustrated on TAI. So I can take photos of them if you want for use on your website:

CollectA's Leopard seal
Papo's Whale shark
CollectA's Sperm whale (my model is different to the one shown in TAI)
Kaiyodo's Wild Rush serval
Kitan Club nature techni colour Deep Sea set Comores coelacanth
Kitan Club nature techni colour Deep Sea set Giant oarfish
Kitan Club nature techni colour Deep Sea set Opah
Natural History Naturally Adorkable Tibetan sand fox
CBIOV takin
CBIOV finless porpoise

Back to top Go down
Wienerwald

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyThu May 30, 2019 8:58 pm

I guess that this "Cape buffalo"

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Pfeiffer_Cape_buffalo

is a domestic water buffalo bull like this one:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Water_buffalo_bull%2C_near_Mehsana%2C_Gujarat%2C_India%2C_4.jpg
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 am

Wienerwald wrote:
I guess that this "Cape buffalo"

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Pfeiffer_Cape_buffalo

is a domestic water buffalo bull like this one:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bubalus_bubalis?uselang=de#/media/File:Water_buffalo_bull,_near_Mehsana,_Gujarat,_India,_4.jpg

Of course it could be a  domestic water buffalo. When I bought this model years ago I thought I was buying a Hausser water buffalo. I discovered lately that The Pfeiffer company ( and later Hausser ) named it Cape buffalo on their catalogues, that's the reason why I entered it as an African buffalo like this one Very Happy

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki IMG_4706
Photograph ©2015 by Brian Cohen.
Back to top Go down
Wienerwald

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 10:48 am

... so they made wrong horns on their Cape buffalo:

"The adult buffalo's horns are its characteristic feature: they have fused bases, forming a continuous bone shield across the top of the head (...)" (Wkipedia)
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 am

I was just playing around looking for some paleozoic critters, and stumbled upon the Fantasy Creatures page. I went ahead and looked at European dragons, since I have several of them. The Schleich dragon listed as Antylar is actually a limited edition version of the dragon Faraun; the regular release was white. Antylar is a different sculpt, and also had a limited colorform as well as a regular release to the best of my knowledge. I have both, not in box although I did purchase the Antylar NIB. I can take pictures of both along with some of the other dragons if wanted this weekend. Unless, Roger, you don't want me saturation bombing you with more photos? Laughing

Here's an old photo that shows the regular release Faraun (white) and regular release Antylar (blackish), along with a juvenile dragon named Nugur- hatchling on the right, teenager (?) on the left. The teenager originally came with a rider, which I do not have (I want to surgically remove the tack molded on the figure!). I can take individual photos of the complete figures I have.
3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki IMG_0046_zpsytsdmoug
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 am

Wienerwald wrote:

"The adult buffalo's horns are its characteristic feature: they have fused bases, forming a continuous bone shield across the top of the head (...)" (Wkipedia)

You are right and that's the problem with vintage brands (and not only with vintage brands). For example Starlux made a brown and white Malayan tapir with a South american tapir shape... What to do? Since now we let it in the Malayan tapir page.

So... Ladies and gentlemen, what to do exactly with this buffalo?
Back to top Go down
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

PostSubject: AAA Animals Correction   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 am

Dear Roger, Well, I've noticed that some of the AAA Animal entries are incorrect. Good examples include AAA Otter Pup looking Left, and Right, and the various other AAA otters we already have listed. So my question is: Could it be possible to clarify whether the AAA otters listed are river otters or sea otters? I mean they are gray, but what if someone gets a river otter that is gray, or looks some what like the AAA otters we already have? What then? I'm just asking, from the point of view of an editor. Whatever this is, none of it is anyone's fault. I'm just pointing out things which would make TAI better in the long run. Anyway, if you want pictures of the AAA Otter pups looking left and right, then let me know. Also, I just ordered a AAA Devilfish large, and a AAA walrus, so now I have 111 AAA figures. In other words, my collection is growing. Aschuck P.S. Do you want Pictures of the Devilfish and Walrus too?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 am

aschuck wrote:
Dear Roger, Well, I've noticed that some of the AAA Animal entries are incorrect. Good examples include AAA Otter Pup looking Left, and Right, and the various other AAA otters we already have listed. So my question is: Could it be possible to clarify whether the AAA otters listed are river otters or sea otters? I mean they are gray, but what if someone gets a river otter that is gray, or looks some what like the AAA otters we already have? What then? I'm just asking, from the point of view of an editor. Whatever this is, none of it is anyone's fault. I'm just pointing out things which would make TAI better in the long run. Anyway, if you want pictures of the AAA Otter pups looking left and right, then let me know. Also, I just ordered a AAA Devilfish large, and a AAA walrus, so now I have 111 AAA figures. In other words, my collection is growing. Aschuck P.S. Do you want Pictures of the Devilfish and Walrus too?

Hello Anna. Sorry for taking so long to reply and for not understanding completely your observations.
Why are these entries not correct? Do you mean the trio of grey otters already listed are not river otters but sea otters instead? They are listed as river otters and it looks correct to me. The proportionally long tails and their poses are more consistent with a river otter.
About the otter pups looking left and right listed but not yet photographed, I can't remember seeing these before and I can't find them among my notes. If you have them, what makes it wrong based on the way they're listed? Could you please send to me pictures of these two help clarifying about otters AAA released?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 10:58 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Wienerwald wrote:

You are right and that's the problem with vintage brands (and not only with vintage brands). For example Starlux made a brown and white Malayan tapir with a South american tapir shape... What to do? Since now we let it in the Malayan tapir page.

So... Ladies and gentlemen, what to do exactly with this buffalo?

My reply may sound not conclusive but my point of view is like this:
- When a figure is ambiguous as it happens with the Starlux that has the sculpt of an American tapir and the color of a Malayan tapir, I think we should choose according with what the brand presents as a final product. It seems evident that the figure intends to be presented as a Malayan tapir even if it is sculpted like an American tapir. Apparently we will have the same problem with the newly released Papo hyena, even if the sculpt may look like a brown hyena or so, it is obvious Papo wants to release a spotted hyena.
IF the features of an animal figure are consistent with a certain species, not exactly ambiguous, but it is presented as another species, as it happened with the Schleich Emperor penguin chicks , I defend that we should list them according with the correct species identification even if it is not presented like that. Good to remember that Schleich fixed it later.
About this buffalo, if the brand presented it among African animals, I believe they intend to use it as a Cape buffalo. If they use it indistinctively and the features fit correctly with a domestic water buffalo, so it should be listed like that.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 5:03 pm

some organizational corrections to TAI:

1. The carabao is currently listed as a cattle breed under Bos, but it the domestic form of Bubalus (water buffalo).

2. the Ongole cattle is listed with miscellaneous cattle breeds, but should be linked to the zebu, since like the Brahama, it is a domestic breed of B. taurus indicus.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 11:18 pm

This pied kingfisher (https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Pied_kingfisher) is actually a crested kingfisher
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 5:52 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
This pied kingfisher (https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Pied_kingfisher) is actually a crested kingfisher

The job is done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 2:48 am

I was just looking around the TAI and caught this:

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Sawfish

The K&M Sawshark is listed as a Japanese sawfish...it is definitely a Japanese Sawshark. It is marked as such.

Thanks!

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 am

sbell wrote:

The K&M Sawshark is listed as a Japanese sawfish...it is definitely a Japanese Sawshark. It is marked as such.

Thanks!

The job is done, thank you Sean
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
sbell wrote:

Thanks!

The job is done, thank you Sean

No problem. Just happened to stumble upon it!

3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 am

https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Kaiyodo_Furuta_Chocoegg_Bell_Horned_Frog

this should be C. ornata, not C. cranwelli
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 5:45 am

Indeed Blaine, the job is done Very Happy

Roger wrote:
About this buffalo, if the brand presented it among African animals, I believe they intend to use it as a Cape buffalo. If they use it indistinctively and the features fit correctly with a domestic water buffalo, so it should be listed like that.

I'm sorry Rogerio for the late answer. The brand didn't present it with the African animals, It called it "Cape buffalo" on their catalog.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm

On this page: https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Giant_Pacific_octopus

The M&B/Schleich and Papo models are common octopus, not Giant Pacific.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   3 - Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 1 of 27Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next