Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D

Go down 
+3
Roger
pipsxlch
SUSANNE
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D Empty
PostSubject: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 9:38 am

Yesterday morning one of my eldest friends and I went for a day in Skandinavisk Dyrepark , about 1/2 hour's drive from where I live.

It was raining when we left, but we agreed to go there, because we could always just go home again.
But when we arrived, the sun came out, and for the next many hours, there were only a few drops of rain sunny

The place is in many ways unusual:
It is 100% privatley owned, and the mission is to show people Scandinavian animals ( present and previous) in environments as close to nature as possible.
There is even a building showing facts about mammoths, wild horses, and giant deer, but we didn't go there this time.
Very few people work there full time, because there are usually no stables to clean, and most animals eat grass, but students of biology are fighting to get to work there for pocket money.
There is a long trail through a meadow, where all you can study is wild birds, wild plants, insects, and decaying trees .
It was fascinating to see children being completely absorbed in a butterfly, an ant thill, or some wild flowers Very Happy

We had a wonderful day, and walked and walked, because the larger animals live in huge fields.
The more nervous ones, like moose, roe deer and Przewalski horses have the possibility to retire into areas where they are hidden from the public, but it seemed that after months without visitors (Quarantine), they were as curious to see us as we were of seeing them Laughing

I planned to take pictures to show you, but as always I often forget to take photos when it is really interesting Embarassed

But I got a few , - at first the Przewalski, with THREE foals  cheers
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The first years they were kept in an area some distance away from the public, but now they weren't really scared of us  Very Happy

After this we saw the wolves, but of course (  Embarassed ) I was so absorbed I forgot to take pictures  Rolling Eyes  Laughing

Then a wonderful flock of fallow does  drunken
They are surely not afraid as long as you do not try to touch them
The path goes through the middle of their field,
- the wooden fence is to keep the visitors out of their grass, but the deer just walk under it.

At the other side a couple of fallow bucks still had velvet-covered antlers

...very useful for scratcing your own back  Laughing

The male moose also had velvet on his antlers, but I completely forgot to take his picture because of these :

Hey, an extra ear .... Shocked

Yes ! There were TWO calves  cheers

In a large meadow, the red deer can keep the royal distance which they prefer

Good there is a little zoom on my new camera !

The sikas are quite shy. They, too have plenty of grassy land,
but it seems they prefer to hold their siesta in a sandy area.

Always some of them kept an eye on us.

And then the Polar bears and the musk oxes, - the latter had retired into the shade of their stable.
And again , the enormous, white bears were so exiting that I forgot...  Embarassed

The momma Polar bear had two cubs this winter.
They were not out in the large area yet, so we didn't see them.
But two young males kept walking over to sniff in their direction, so it may have been them the cubs shouldn't "meet"  Suspect

Some other male bears were kept away, but here the babies got the large run  cheers
Two brown bear sisters had 3 cubs this winter, and nobody knows - or cares - what cubs belong to what mother  Laughing

Full speed ahead !!!!

The mommas try to take a rest

Immediately the little monsters try to pull the ears off each other !

Hey ! This is too wild. A mother to the resue

one of them escaped mom's lecture in good behaving  Laughing  Laughing

After having admired the vipers, the red foxes, the Polar foxes, and the pine martens, we went on to the tremedous aviary of the eagles !

They are Steller's eagles, as it is not allowed to keep white-tailed eagles in captivity in Denmark

They are not tamed, but when there is no Corona, people are allowed into the aviary,
but only if they promise to sit completely still and not make any sounds.!!
some fish are let out in their pond, and you can see the fantastic sight of this enormous bird in action.

Look, one of them is all brown ! His name is Legolas.
He and his brother Gandalf come from Berlin zoo , and their mother is also brown !!!

Then we had to hurry past the wild boars and homewards because we both have dogs who must be hungry,

That's all, folks, sorry for all my chatting lol!

pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 11:14 am

Thank you for letting us come along on your trip! That was fascinating! cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 1:12 pm

We don't need to go to one of these famous African National Parks to have a perfect day!
Everything you describe and show is really marvelous and you even witnessed some very special momments.
Thanks Susanne for taking me with you to this adventure! flower

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Exactly because of your chatting , this topic is very interesting to visit Susanne :))
And because of your chatting , we understood for some animals, that you saw...but we didn`t see on photos .. Laughing lol! I am joking of course , I completely understand you, that when you see something beautiful , you prefer to watch it and not loosing any second with taking photos :) I am the same..
But still you made some very beautiful photos for us cheers
Thank you for that !
And like Roger said : Thank you for taking me with you to this adventure! sunny

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 5:21 pm

It looks a pleasant outing. May I say these animals seemed quite easy and relaxed, although they are enclosed but in a comparably spacious enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 9:30 pm

This compensates for I was supposed to visit my closest zoo this summer, very sadly they're struggling financially (they have received over £1 million)

Great photos, I especially liked the moose and bears

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 11:17 pm

Thankyou for all your kind words cheers

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D EmptyWed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 am

Looks like a wonderful day out! Smile Smile

PostSubject: Re: A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D   A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D Empty

Back to top Go down

A place with only ( almost) Scandinavian animals :D
Page 1 of 1