Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hollow models in two sizes ... and more

Go down 
+13
Birdsage
Advicot
Taos
WILLYBACOMAN
sbell
Tiermann
landrover
bmathison1972
Roger
Duck-Anch-Amun
widukind
SUSANNE
costicuba
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

Hollow models in two sizes ... and more Empty
PostSubject: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 7:00 am

Hello all,
at the request of Roger, I took some photos of models, which we agreed to call : Nayab models.
They are hollow and it comes in two sizes.

I don`t have the whole serie , also some models are only the smaller version.

Also on my models, on the bigger ones , there is a tag with the name of the animal and also ''made in China''
On the smaller models it`s written only : ''made in China''

Let me start with the Civets , since the discussion starts from this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I really like these koalas ... especially the smaller one. :

Lynxes :

Beavers :

Raccoons :

Red pandas :

The bigger one with the tag : ''Little panda''  Very Happy

A charming sloths :

And now, models which I have only as smaller versions :

Squirrel :

Maned wolf :

..Is that Aye-aye .. ? :

Ok, I am done with these pairs ... but I have some more animal models, which looks very similar , so maybe they are also Nayab ..
They are also hollow models , with tag : Made in China''
I will show them also here .. and we can decide if they also belongs here Wink

Two lions ( one of them I have from Susanne  Very Happy  ) :

An interesting wild boar :

A cheetah :

And a bit funny elephant :

That`s all from me :)
If other members have some models of this line too, maybe it will be nice to share them also here Wink

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 8:27 am

Great photos and interesting topic  cheers

I have most of the large models too, and always thought they were Wild Republic scratch

It will be interesting to see if somebody know more about them Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 am

Any figures I see the first time.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 12:35 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Great photos and interesting topic  cheers

I have most of the large models too, and always thought they were Wild Republic scratch

It will be interesting to see if somebody know more about them Very Happy

Nayab still is a mystery cheers
Wild Republic sold some of those figurines in Polybacks and Buckets. I´ve sended Roger my Wild Republic catalog from 2004 as pdf and he will confirm that some of those shown figurines (thanks costicuba) are sold by Wild Republic.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks again Kosta! I immagine all the effort, patience and dedication to take all these pictures! cheers
This topic, for me as a TAW editor, is much more useful that you ever could guess. At least, it helped me to take a decision about the way I will list these figures.
They are Nayab, we know some of them from official pictures on Nayab website, unfortunately they are not available anymore as I mentioned on genets topic.
Though, they were also sold as Wild Republic and most of these large models, especially the extralarge ones, are all known from Polybags. Only the larger genet I don't know a polybag to put it.
These figures are all from the same manufacturer, it is obvious. They're likely also not manufactured by Wild Republic or they'd be marked K&M Int. They can also be found sold as other minor brands or even unbranded.
Editing coherence suggests that these figures should be listed as Nayab with the Wild Republic Polybags linking directly to the Nayab pages. We did it with ELC that used AAA figures and at least one of ELC sets mixes AAA with ELC figures.
However, there is already a huge good work on TAW about Wild Republic Polybag figures and it will be painful to rename everything to Nayab and fix all links. These are also best known as Polybag figures among collectors so there isn't anything wrong on it.
So, those we know, through official sources, namely the 2004 Wild Republic catalogue [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] gently provided, being part of Wild Republic Polybags, will be listed as Wild Republic models.
Those we can't find a Wild Republic set to list them, will be listed as Nayab Large Figures.
I think that is the best option considering all is done already.
There are many other constrangements regarding this subject, namely the XL lynx, it is an Eurasian lynx on Kosta's pictures and it is marked (Felis pardus), and the WR Polybag version is in a North American set, thus a bobcat or Canada lynx still with the same scientific name that is wrong to these species. I suspect the WR version is differently painted. Thus, as this mould is used for two distinct companies with different painting and representing different species, I may list these twice.
I mirrored this topic on Wild Republic section on forum, so it could be accessed through Nayab and K&M/Wild Republic threads.

As my post goes tooo long, I won't tell to which Polybag each figure belongs. I will only tell that the lion, cheetah and elephant are from the African Polybag.

I will be back on this topic once a few figures I haven't found yet their correct place and I hope other members can contribute with more pictures and informations. Thanks!

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 6:21 pm

despite being very 'chinamal-like' it is neat some of them have the Latin names on the underside, including the Castor fiber (I was not aware of Eurasian beaver figures)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 2:46 am

Thank you everybody for your comments :)

And thank you Roger for all this information.
Yeah, I am done with my job taking photos .... but now, your job is much much bigger , with all this research for information, working on TAW , to put them most correctly ...
So, thank you very much for doing that for us ! Very Happy
Yee, so I was right abaout the last models, that they are also for this topic cheers

I know, many collectors will be not so excited of these Hollow models ... most of them doesn`t look nice....especially the bigger ones ( some smaller models are nice.. like the Koala).
To be honest, I keep all these just in one bag :)
But I also think, that these Polybag, Hollow models, are some how interesting and also they have their part from our hobby ... beeing sold all over the world.
So, thank you again for your time Roger , for the job you need to do ... it is good to have them on TAW :)

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 am

Very interesting topic and great job :Kosta and Roger. cheers

Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 pm

An interesting topic.

Roger from the TAW editing perspective. Rather than moving pages I would link to the existing pages from the Nayab directory using
[[wild republic animal page link|animal name]] and then on the individual model page add a new line for manufacturer.
|- Manufacturer
| [[Nayab]]

It is after all well known that some brands like Wild republic buy from various manufacturers over time. So not an unreasonable way to do it.

Back to the topic on hand - I like the sculpting of some of these but the line at the heads bothers me. I am sure it is because of manufacturing process, but it's just one of those things that irks me.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks Kosta for your words and also Fernando! Very Happy
At STS all animal figures are interesting regardless of their quality and we migrated this concept to TAW. I think there are a few very good models among these hollow large ones. Especially a few of the smaller versions, not because of their size but because of their poses. It is evident these pairs were sold in boxes as I mentioned before, larger and smaller figure seems to adjust their poses in a "rectangular" way. The larger model uses often a more hrizontal posture while the smaller a more vertical posture, often they have almost the same height.

Tim, I agree and I use this mehtod already in several pages. Namely the ELC section where a few figures point directly to the corresponding AAA page or just a few hours ago when I redesigned the Wild Republic Large (solide) models. A big part are already linking to the corresponding AAA figure, it is only missing the reversing table links. I did it even in a somewhat radical way once I am linking the Wild Republic 64412 to the 96703 AAA Leopard! Laughing Painting on catalogue is not the exact same but how can we find an exact match. Also, how do we know how were these AAA figures sold, which brand?
I only didn't use the crossing layout with Wild Republic Polybags because the majority of the models were already listed as WR Polybag figures. Renaming all of them is painful. Also, we don't have official pictures from Nayab covering all these models. We suspect these hollow are all Nayab but some are maybe not. For example, the salamander of the Wilderness 1 Polybag is not a hollow figure and there are other examples or polybags with rubbery smaller models. How can we be sure these are Nayab?
We must always be criterious using this crossing, let's take this example, some K&M Bulk figures are Wing Mau models, though, in this case, I think they are correctly listed as K&M once they are marked K&M and it is the most determining information for a collector. The same applies to Schleich, Mojö and Papo models made by Maia & Borges, those marked with the brand name should be listed separately. Easy rule, list them as they are marked.
Though, those hollow polybag models are not marked at all and without a complete official source, it is not a problem that they are listed as they are best known among collectors. Also, I don't know other brand listed on TAW, besides Wild Republic, that uses also these moulds. Concluding, any layout is fine to me.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 23, 2020 1:23 am

Kosta, here is the larger version of your aye-aye, yes, it is marked with the scientific name of that species. It is a fact that no other animal looks like an aye-aye but they couldn't have made these hands more different to a real one than they did. monkey
This picture is from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], a forum member and TAW editor.
I think all known aye-aye figures are now listed at the wiki.

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyTue Jun 23, 2020 2:16 am

Great job Roger ! cheers
Thank you for sharing also here :)
You are right about the hands ... so strange choice..

Roger wrote:

I think all known aye-aye figures are now listed at the wiki.

All 4 of them Very Happy And I have 3 of them in my collection cheers

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 3:40 pm

Not sure about all, but at one time the large and small pairs were sold together in bags. I got the beaver, genet, wolf and squirrel that way

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 pm

sbell wrote:
Not sure about all, but at one time the large and small pairs were sold together in bags. I got the beaver, genet, wolf and squirrel that way

I remember that. Do you still have them? I'd love to know what is marked on large versions of the squirrel and wolf. study

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

I remember that. Do you still have them? I'd love to know what is marked on large versions of the squirrel and wolf. study

I don't think I do but I can check. If nothing else, both would be in my database, so at least the squirrel's given name should be there. I'll have to go hunting

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Okay, apparently these figures were expunged from my database, but I have a record of the squirrel species--it was labelled Callosciurus erythraeus, the red-bellied tree squirrel (labelled on the underside of the tail) or Pallas's squirrel. I actually found the large one!

I believe it was only on the large figures, not the smaller associated figure--and not on the later toob-size versions that show up in Bitty Buckets and such

It's also where I got the label "Indian Civet" for what is being called a genet--that's the label on the large figure (probably a 'small Indian civet', but no distinction was made).

The bags were marked Galaxy Toys, but it was likely just one of many repackagings--although given the name markings, it may have been the original.

I found a few more details on old backups of the database,
Also, I couldn't find the large dog, but I know why it was tricky to identify--it was labelled "MEYERS ASPARAGUS". Not exactly helpful. It is possible that it might be buried in the yard somewhere as an outdoor toy (that's where I found the squirrel) but so far no luck finding it.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 1:30 am

Many thanks Sean! Your database is pricelesss! Now you're posting, I remember everything as it was yesterday. Especially the asparagus thing, that was so funny. Laughing
I knew the squirrel was not a very common species but as there is another species known as red-bellied squirrel, something was not working. The large model is also part of the Wild Republic Polybag of Great Rocky Mountains. I know we did it in the past but I have to check which species it intends to represent in this polybag once the mentioned species is from Asia.
All the 24 extralarge models, marked with species name, have a corresponding smaller figure. These are not marked but they represent the exact same species of the larger ones. There is some crossing between the smaller bulk figures and also their minis but not an exact match. For example, the spotted skunk and the pangolin are represented in all sizes.
We are aware of the small Indian civet being marked like that but we are assuming it as a common genet, though, it may change, of course.

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 2:21 am

The figurines sold under thename of Nayab, and we only know this name from here actually, because our members do research, are sold under many different brand names, so just keep it simple...
I think we will never know exactly which company is exactly producing them...
Even going back to the 1960's and 1970's, all of those copies are a mistery...

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptySat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 am

Willy, you are right and Nayab is the most painful section to be worked on TAW. We can see in their range moulds that are older than the own company. We find among them Breyer, AAA, most of the major brands, etc. They are the producers of the biggest range of knock-offs we know and I was "officially" informed by another company that most of the Nayab figures listed on TAW are actually from the company that contacted me. That's the reason why I originally listed many Nayab figures according with the label they are best known among collectors. For example, most of these models pictured in this topic were originally listed as Wild Republic once they are known among us as Polybag figures.
Since they are listed on Nayab website in a very comprehensive way and considering most are sold under other labels, Tim, suggested to cross links from these companies to the pages of the original manufacturer. As long as we don't have an official vidence they are not Nayab manufacturing, the most efficient way to list these figures is doing it according with the official pictures of the sets found on Nayab webpage. If we ever find they're not Nayab, it can always be fixed.
One thing I am sure, these models sold by Wild Republic are not from their own manufacturing once they are not marked with K&M Int. Also, how to explain some incoherences in their Polybags sets where many figures are marked with scientific names of species that do not ocur in the geographic areas mentioned. See the set of the Smooky Mountains above with a squirrel that is from Asia or the North American Polybag where the lynx, badger and beaver are marked with the scientific names of the Eurasian species.
Lynx and badger show clearly they were indeed moulded over the Eurasian species.

About the connection between the small+mini models and the hollow large ones. It is also evident for me that they belong to the same manufacturer despite being made of different materials. I could give several examples but check here the large squirrel (smaller of the hollow large ones) and the small squirrel (larger of the small bulk figures). Shoud I say all are Pallas's squirrels then?

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 am

Ah, that is very long ago that i saw one od Tim's pics haha.
Well, there you go, some companies just copying without that the original maker even knows it...
And i don't even know if they would be able to put the copiers before judge for their misabuse.
and yes, Wild Republic was known as a subbrand from K&M, or maybe even the other way around, who knows.
but honour should come to those who deserve it... Applause

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 am

Sorry for another dissertation, but actually, the mistake with the name marked on large wolf is an interesting detail. It hardly could happen if the figure was designed by a company of a country using Latin alphabet.
It is in my opinion, clearly a transliteration|tradution mistake. Only possible from a language with a different alphabet. Otherwise, how is it possible to explain a wild canid marked with the name of a plant?
We know they're manufactured in China, it is written on figure, but it corroborates the thesis that these models were also designed in China and not designed in USA or other Western country.
As I'm convinced as most people that it is a maned wolf, I have a little theory.

The name of the plant, Myers Asparagus is not a Latin name but a common name.
Scientific name is Asparagus densiflorus.
It is also known as foxtail fern
Foxtail? Yes, maned wolves have tails that look like the tails of foxes.

The scientific name of the maned wolf is:
Chrysocyon brachyurus
brachyurus means short tail.
Maned wolves ocur in Latin America, namely Brazil and also the Spanish talking countries around.
It is known with many different names, often the name zorro is used in these Spanish talking countries and zorro means fox.
Hard to understand the Asparagus, though, even if my theory sounds more like Asperger, I think there is a link. study

Here the XL wolf from Lea's collection. OK, legs should be dark and the end of the tail white but.. these figures were never too accurate.
Here Wikipedia's picture

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:

and yes, Wild Republic was known as a subbrand from K&M, or maybe even the other way around, who knows.

We know, Wild Republic is a brand of K&M International. That is in their official website. K&M is a company and they created a brand for their animal themed toys called Wild Republic.

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 am

It very likely could be a maned wolf. Or, perhaps a weird attempt at a red wolf.

It doesn't really look like any actual species. But maned wolf is probably the best guess.

Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am

sbell wrote:
It very likely could be a maned wolf. Or, perhaps a weird attempt at a red wolf.

It doesn't really look like any actual species. But maned wolf is probably the best guess.

It IS ment to be a maned wolf yes.
I saw you are interested in freswaterfish, where is a very big part of my interest, life and business to, so tropical freswaterfish, aquariumfish.
I am one of the biggest private sellers in my country, i am an international author on aquariumfish(although i didn't wrote much the last years), i do give lectures now and then, and i wrote the course and was before class for all the sellers of aquatic animals in my country.
I am about 44 years in this hobby. Very Happy

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:18 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
sbell wrote:

I saw you are interested in freswaterfish, where is a very big part of my interest, life and business to, so tropical freswaterfish, aquariumfish.
I am one of the biggest private sellers in my country, i am an international author on aquariumfish(although i didn't wrote much the last years), i do give lectures now and then, and i wrote the course and was before class for all the sellers of aquatic animals in my country.

I think I've seen that... you've been in the fish almost longer than I've been alive! I know I've seen a lot of changes in the last 20 years, can't imagine the last 44!

Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 am

sbell wrote:
WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
sbell wrote:

I think I've seen that... you've been in the fish almost longer than I've been alive! I know I've seen a lot of changes in the last 20 years, can't imagine the last 44!

True my friend, and not all changes were neccesarily good, specially now with all the stuff that is going on in the world today.
i guess we have to face new standars in life... Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Hollow models in two sizes ... and more   Hollow models in two sizes ... and more Empty

Back to top Go down

Hollow models in two sizes ... and more
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next