Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium

Go down 
+2
Advicot
tjjtjjtjja
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tjjtjjtjja

tjjtjjtjja

Country/State : China/Shanghai

Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 12:38 am

Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium, all 8 + 4 types,  2015.4
01. Eudyptes chrysocome
02. Manta birostris
03. Lates japonicus
04. Chelonia mydas
05. Neophocaena phocaenoides
06. Lagenorhynchus obliquidens
07. Anarhichas orientalis
08. Macrocheira kaempferi
SP1. Cephalorhynchus commersonii (Only sold in Sendai Umino-Mori Aquarium)
SP2. Carcharias taurus (Only sold in Aqua world Oarai Aquarium)
SP3. Takifugu rubripes (Only sold in Shimonoseki Aquarium)
SP4. Rhincodon typus (Only sold in Osaka Aquarium KAIYUKAN)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by tjjtjjtjja on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 am

Also an AMAZING set

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Brettnj

Brettnj

Country/State : USA/New Jersey

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 2:03 am

I noted it somewhere else but I remain perplexed at why this set drew so little attention.

I have all but the secret whale shark (which I'm hoping to get for a reasonable price at some point).

It's the first finless dolphin, first Aquarium Commerson's, and the first manta--a pretty iconic species--beyond the Aquatales secrets which I thought were a little sloppy in terms of the paint, with improvements on several other species and the so cool pufferfish.

And the new bases are a sort of lateral move (except for that on the wolf fish which I don't love) in my eye from the bottlecaps. And the prices were very good for at least the basic 8 in Japan.

Last edited by Brettnj on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brettnj

Brettnj

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 am

Dirk...how/where does the word/name Sendai fit into this set's name? Thanks. Brett
Back to top Go down
tjjtjjtjja

tjjtjjtjja

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 2:38 am

Brettnj wrote:
Dirk...how/where does the word/name Sendai fit into this set's name? Thanks. Brett

Sendai Umino-Mori Aquarium. I should edit my post.

Brettnj

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 2:41 am

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:08 am

These bases indeed look more natural than the bottlecaps. I have the green sea turtle and it is very beautiful. It looks like I should try to get the finless porpoise and Commerson's dolphin too.

Brettnj

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:16 am

When it works, I often display bottlecap figures without the caps.
Back to top Go down
tjjtjjtjja

tjjtjjtjja

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 am

Brettnj wrote:
When it works, I often display bottlecap figures without the caps.

Emmm, I don't understand why some people don't like bases like bottlecaps, I think it may be a cultural difference? At least most of the Chinese or Japanese collectors (I contacted) pay attention to maintaining the integrity of the model. There is also a lot of information on the bottlecap, with the name of the species and the name of the aquarium on sale. Especially the CAPSULE AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION 1~6, if a whole set of figures have the same aquarium name on the bottlecap, then it will have a higher collection value, and the common version does not have the aquarium name on the bottlecap.

Brettnj

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 am

I certainly like and have all of the bases and keep them bagged for future use when I don't use them in displays, which often I do.

But sometimes, depending upon how someone chooses to show off their figures, the bases can sort of alter the appearance of the display as a whole.

Imagine how this display--specifically the portion at :57--would differ if every figure were on a bottlecap base. Not necessarily worse or even bad, but with a different character. At 1:08, the row of figures on top of the case v the rows with bottlecaps inside of it. Not qualifying, just observing a difference.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And certainly anyone who designs/constructs dioramas would not want bases on figures displayed therein.

But certainly I'd never buy figures without them.

Also, ha ha re: Emmm... I feel and appreciate your skepticism... ; )

Last edited by Brettnj on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 am

Like Brett, I would always want to have the bottlecap, because it is part of the original figure. But when I display my figures, I see them as a diorama (even though I don't have vegetation etc.) and seeing them that way, I feel it is a bit odd to have bottlecaps. More neutral bases are OK, but in real life animals rarely sit on bottlecaps Very Happy. I prefer to see them not as individual figures but as part of a larger display where the animals "interact" with each other. When they are on their individual bases, then they are more separate from each other.

Perhaps more than culture, I wonder whether the way we grew up with animal models plays a role. I used to play with them as a child. It's difficult to play with them when they have a bottlecap, and even though I don't play with them anymore, it still doesn't feel quite right. I suppose arranging them in a display is my way of playing with them now.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:38 am

Also a great serie

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 am

I have the wolffish and crab (although the plastic rod on my crab so it sits loosely on the base...)

I love figures on bases, especially smaller animals (invertebrates, small mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians). But I prefer natural bases. For non-arthropods, I would prefer figures that don't have a bottlecap, but for those that do, I keep the bottlecap because I like to keep the integrity of the figure!
Back to top Go down
Brettnj

Brettnj

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 am

I love the crab sculpt. Looks like it's swimming. But funny, one of the extremely few rods in my collection that broke as well...
Back to top Go down
tjjtjjtjja

tjjtjjtjja

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium EmptyFri Jul 17, 2020 12:42 am

The base sold now has been replaced with a cyan base.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium   Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo AQUARIUM FIGURE COLLECTION - Japanese Aquarium
Page 1 of 1