Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 0:42

Hello friends!
Here we have a big reveal, 2 different versions of Safari's old orca calf. I thought they were the same figure at first, and I almost put the extra up for trade! But at the last moment I realized that these were in fact 2 distinct versions. And without further ado, the models themselves!
On the left is the 2006 updated version (a more slender body, a higher degree bend to the tail, squarer eye patches, shinier black finish) and the older 1996 version on the right (thicker bodied, tail lowered, rounded eye patches, matte black finish).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Newer version has a slightly more open mouth.

Here you can see the body shape difference.

Underbellies and stamps

Older on top, newer on the bottom.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 8:00

WOW ! Thankyou Applause Applause

They are so alike ! I am sure I do not even have no 2 either, because I didn't know they are different Shocked
This is surely helpful, and I can see Roger already updated TAW cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 9:21

Interesting to see the differences

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 13:39

Many thanks Paige for opening this topic! Incredible how the old orca calf illuded us during all these years. Despite all the effort on TAW to make Safari section as accurate as possible, some models are still missing and not all information is precise. Safari is the widest range of all companies listed on TAW. I suspect there are a few more like these to be found. Very Happy

SUSANNE wrote:

They are so alike ! I am sure I do not even have no 2 either, because I didn't know they are different Shocked
This is surely helpful, and I can see Roger already updated TAW  cheers

I updated thanks to Paige, I never noticed it before. Though, Paige also informed me that your version is actually no 2 and I am fixing it too. Paige will provide pictures of no 1. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 14:09

Roger wrote:
Many thanks Paige for opening this topic! Incredible how the old orca calf illuded us during all these years. Despite all the effort on TAW to make Safari section as accurate as possible, some models are still missing and not all information is precise. Safari is the widest range of all companies listed on TAW. I suspect there are a few more like these to be found. Very Happy

SUSANNE wrote:

This is surely helpful, and I can see Roger already updated TAW  cheers

I updated thanks to Paige, I never noticed it before. Though, Paige also informed me that your version is actually no 2 and I am fixing it too. Paige will provide pictures of no 1. Very Happy

Great !!! cheers cheers
Thanks a lot again Very Happy

Yes, Safari is always full of surprises, - and as they have often re-used item numbers, it good to have a whole flock of super-detectives round the world Applause Wink

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 20:05

Interesting info, and figures

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyWed 15 Jul 2020 - 23:13

Thanks everyone! It is a bit frustrating that Safari's past is so entangled by multiple rereleases, remodeled moulds, and recycling of ID numbers. But then again, it gives me a hobby. Wink Perhaps it is just because there are so few characteristics on this species that makes it hard to differntiate but in the end, these are both still scarily similar to each other.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 8:33

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thanks everyone! It is a bit frustrating that Safari's past is so entangled by multiple rereleases, remodeled moulds, and recycling of ID numbers. But then again, it gives me a hobby. Wink Perhaps it is just because there are so few characteristics on this species that makes it hard to differntiate but in the end, these are both still scarily similar to each other.

And...do you remember, that before the birth of TAW there was nowhere on the net to find info Very Happy
It is not so many years since they began to make consumer's catalogues, and only since 2016 they are marked with with year of publishing.
At least the last years they have marked which are new models Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 17:11

Oh of course! I have a few of the older Safari catalgoues and they drive me crazy for that reason. I remember my first Schleich catalog that had *new* marked next to figures and I was so excited for something so simple...

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 17:33

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh of course! I have a few of the older Safari catalgoues and they drive me crazy for that reason. ........

That reminds me : We I need to make a page on TAW, showing the front pages of the Safari catalogues with year bounce bounce

GudrunOrca

GudrunOrca

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptySun 11 Apr 2021 - 17:54

This is such an interesting revelation! Though what I think has happened here, is that they used the mould of the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection orca baby and rereleased it in 2006. It is shaped more realistically, proportions are more accurate. It also seems like they remodeled the 1992 model by making its mouth open, as opposed to closed (which I actually prefer: I rarely see accurately modeled mouths on orca figures. Often they’re made to look more dramatic with too much red and the teeth in the upper jaw visible, when these are obscured by the upper lips and only visible when you look up into the mouth... (okay, end of rant 😅))

Here’s the TAW page of the MBAQ orca calf for reference: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What do you think? 😇
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround EmptySun 11 Apr 2021 - 21:27

Undoubtfully the MB figure is quite similar to the 2006 model.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround   Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Orca Calf Comparison/Walkaround
Page 1 of 1