Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection

Go down 
+3
Pardofelis
Advicot
bmathison1972
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection Empty
PostSubject: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Today I am showing the complete set of Wing Mau snakes. Most, if not all, of these figures were also produced for Club Earth as part of their To Go series. There are 12 species in the set, all representing North American species. On thing that makes this set neat is that it is dominated by colubrids, which usually get ignored in toy form because most are are not venomous like the elapids and vipers nor gargantuan like the constrictors and pythons.

All species are marked with the 'XX' Wing Mau logo and the common name in English. They are roughly 13.0 cm long, not stretched out, on average. They are all also unique sculpts, meaning they did not take the same sculpt and paint it different colors to represent different species (even though there are similarities in poses).

1. desert patch-nosed snake, Salvadora hexalepis hexalepis.
Despite the detail in these small snakes, this figure is not sculpted with the characterstic nose patch.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. western blind snake, Rena humilis.
This figure actually comes stretched out like all the others, but I contorted it myself to this pose.

3. yellow-bellied water snake, Nerodia erythrogaster flavigaster.

4. eastern ribbon snake, Thamnophis sauritus sauritus.

5. Arizona coral snake, Micruroides euryxanthus.
This figure replaces the Play Visions version in my collection! I know, it is surprising to replace a PV figure, but the Wing Mau figure has a much better length-to-width ratio of the body! This is a species I saw in the wild back in Arizona.

6. California kingsnake, Lampropeltis californiae.
So, two things about this figure. First, it is stamped 'desert kingsnake', which typically refers to L. splendida. Secondly, this figure comes in two color forms. The other color form actually better resembles L. splendida, but the version I have here looks more like L. californiae. When these figures were first produced, L. spendida and L. californiae were subspecies of the common kingsnake, L. getula (and some authorities probably retain the old system). The face should have more yellow and the rings should go to the end of the tail.

7. northern pine snake, Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus.

8. eastern copperhead, Agkistron contortrix.
The figure is marked 'southern copperhead'. This figure would be much better if the head was the proper shape; it is a bit too elongate for this species.

9. blacktail rattlesnake, Crotalus molossus.
I normally don't alter figures, but this one I did slightly. The black base of the tail before the rattle was missing, so darkened it up a bit with a Sharpie marker ;-)

10. rubber boa, Charina bottae.
Like the western blind snake (above), I contorted this figure into this position. Looks better to me :).

11. western smooth green snake, Opheodrys vernalis blanchardi.

12. southern ring-necked snake, Diadophis punctatus punctatus.
I always liked ring-necked snakes! On this figure, the yellow ring is a little farther down the body than it should be, but still easily recognizable as this species.

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 10:57 pm

What a lovely set Blaine, I might see if I can get hold of some. The ring necked snake reminds me of the JARU figure I have

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 11:55 pm

Really nice and realistic snakes!

bmathison1972 wrote:
which usually get ignored in toy form because most are are not venomous like the elapids and vipers nor gargantuan like the constrictors and pythons.

Same reasons for being usually ignored in zoos and reptile houses, sadly. Despite being much more diverse and hence having a bigger array of superbeautiful species that I would wish to see and more exciting than most viperids, elapdids and boids.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 1:47 am

Lovely set! I'd like to find a rubber boa sometime as we have those where I live. I am a sucker for rattlers too. Congrats!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 1:11 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 2:57 pm

They are beautyful !!!

We only have two kind of snakes here in Denmark.
One, - quite harmless, fortunately, lives in a heap of twigs I make for the hedgehogs.
It is a large, beautyful grass snake ( Natrix natrix), and I see him/her now and then .
She/he probably lives from small fish and frogs in the lake Very Happy

I don't know if the American blind snakes are the same as our "blind worms", but the ones we have are not snakes, and they can no way curl up like that scratch

Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Probably what you call "blind worm" in Denmark is Anguis fragilis, that is not a worm nor a snake and (unlike most true worms) is not blind. The species mentioned before is a true snake (hence absolutely unrelated with Anguis), and it's blind and can curl up like that.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Ofcourse, 12 nice snakes and complete lot. cheers cheers

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 7:22 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Probably what you call "blind worm" in Denmark is Anguis fragilis, that is not a worm nor a snake and (unlike most true worms) is not blind. The species mentioned before is a true snake (hence absolutely unrelated with Anguis), and it's blind and can curl up like that.

Thankyou, yes, - our "blind" critter is actually a lizard.
My Siamese cats used to bring them into the house, but fortunately they ( the cats) didn't seem to harm them - I heard they can shed the tail , like some lizards can, and they never did that.
I always walked very far from the house to let them loose, and hope it was not the same one they ( the cats) cought each time Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection   Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection Empty

Back to top Go down

Wing Mau Snakes- the COMPLETE collection
Page 1 of 1