Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!

Go down 
+15
rogerpgvg
widukind
landrover
HKHollinstone
lucky luke
Taos
A-J
costicuba
pipsxlch
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
SUSANNE
Advicot
Bonnie
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Bonnie wrote:

I have just looked at your dog models and they really are AMAZING! So much detail and I would love any top tips you have! Very Happy sunny
thank you Surprised  well, I can say what everyone says it just takes time and practice Wink
But I have a little video of the (time consuming...) technique that helps me out for accuracy. You can find it here if you're interested.

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

WOW! Applause Applause Applause The methods you use, and the detail, and everything and the end result is just so realistic! And all that fur- must be so time consuming! And I like your idea of having a wire armature and foil underneath as one of the problems I had was that as time went on my dogs started to lose shape and 'sink'. Another problem I had was that as I sculpted the fur, when I held it my fingers would then flatten it out, losing some detail. I would love to know how you avoid this!
And all that fine detail- I find it so tricky to do!
Thank you so, so much for sharing this, you have so much talent! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 am

A-J wrote:
Bonnie wrote:

I have just looked at your dog models and they really are AMAZING! So much detail and I would love any top tips you have! Very Happy sunny
thank you  Surprised   well, I can say what everyone says it just takes time and practice Wink
But I have a little video of the (time consuming...) technique that helps me out for accuracy. You can find it here if you're interested.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Exactly for a video like this I was talking about.
Great job Anne cheers

Bonnie, the wire armature also helps, to make your models more correctly in size you want.
Like you said, your first dog went bigger ... This is usually happens, when you start sculpting something part after part..
And if you make the head a bit bigger, then you also make the body a bit bigger...and then the legs...
And then your model becomes bigger than your expectations.
When you start first with wire armature, you can make more easy the size and proportions .. also to prepare the posture you want,
or to change it easily before starting with the clay.
Also like you saw on the video, Anne is using also foil before the clay, to get the shape, which helps also, to save of the clay material and using less of it....especially when it is expensive Wink

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 10:40 am

Thank you so much for this Kosta, that definitely makes sense and a wire armature and foil will be so useful I am sure! I am making the next model today so I'll give it a try, I'll just have to see if I have any wire first! And a very good tip for saving money too! Thank you! Very Happy sunny
You seem very experienced with this- do you also sculpt? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Bonnie wrote:
Another problem I had was that as I sculpted the fur, when I held it my fingers would then flatten it out, losing some detail. I would love to know how you avoid this!

I usually try to do the fur details on the underside/hard to reach places of the sculpture first, then I place it on a movable surface so I can move the surface, and thus the sculpture, without touching the sculpture. So I usually add the final fur details last to the places where I touch the figure the most. But I still struggle with smudging parts that were already finished from time to time.

I hope that helps.

Looking forward to your next dog sculpture bounce

Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 5:49 pm

You are welcome Bonnie :)
Bonnie wrote:

You seem very experienced with this- do you also sculpt? Very Happy

:) Actually yes, I do have some experience with sculpting ... I graduated Art high school , with sculpture : 5 years of my life :)
But with sculpting animal models I still don`t have much experience... Till now I mostly enjoy the plastic models
and the homemade models from the other artists...
So far, I just made one more serious custom of one Papo hyena model this year.
You can see the project HERE :)

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 11:21 am

Thank you so so much A-J that is such good advice and I'll definitely try it in future! Very Happy Very Happy cheers And a movable surface- such a useful tip! Thank you!!cheers cheers
And Kosta WOW you have a lot of experience!! Which explains why your hyena was so absolutely AMAZING! You even managed to change the entire pose, and with what you called 'cheap clay' make something that is better than any hyena I have seen in model form!! Applause Applause Applause
I would love to see more, as I'm sure everyone would! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 2:46 am

Thank you for your nice words Bonnie and thank you for checking my Hyena topic :)

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 pm

We now have the next breed... the beautiful and elegant Afghan Hound. It was originally bred to chase mammals in the mountainous areas of its native Afghanistan, everything from fox and hare to deer, gazelle, jackal, wolf and even snow leopard. They are descended from the saluki and were prized by their tribes, who decorated them once a year with necklaces and flowers. With its long flowing coat and prancing gait, they really do catch peoples' attention, but owners need to be aware of the grooming and exercise involved before taking on this breed.
I tried this time with an armature and found it worked much better, as they both kept their shape, so thank you everyone for the tips! Very Happy
This is the armature:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]jax teller wallpaper
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]cloud final fantasy wallpaper
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]lit wallpapers for girls
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I realised that I have missed a couple of breeds, so next time we may go backwards in the alphabet!
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

They are both really amazing! Can you show me a comparison with some Schleich dogs please? :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Thank you Adam Very Happy !
Yes of course- which Schleich dogs would you like me to compare them with or any?
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 pm

They look lovely cheers and they seem to be very happy to be part of the gang Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Thank you so much A-J Very Happy ! Your advice really helped!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Are these ones you’ve done since you bought the clay? That was fast work! They’re really good! I especially like your first one, very cute face. The afghan hound you’ve captured it brilliantly cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Thank you so much Harriet sunny ! Yes these are from the clay you so kindly recommended, it is so good! I have been working on them all day for the past few days which is why I have managed to do a few Very Happy And I feel honoured to be praised by such a talented sculptor Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy ! The next one I'm working on has very short fur- any tips for this? Would it be just lots of shallow short strokes? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 8:53 pm

Bonnie wrote:
Thank you so much Harriet sunny ! Yes these are from the clay you so kindly recommended, it is so good! I have been working on them all day for the past few days which is why I have managed to do a few Very Happy And I feel honoured to be praised by such a talented sculptor Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy ! The next one I'm working on has very short fur- any tips for this? Would it be just lots of shallow short strokes? Very Happy
Well I’m very impressed! Going through the whole alphabet will certainly make you perfect at making dogs! You’ll be better than me with all this practice!!
I’m sure there are different techniques to doing short hair on a dog, but yes short shallow strokes as you say would do it - try to do slightly different gentle angled strokes in the same direction as the hair would grow, if you see what I mean. That makes it more realistic and not just a load of straight short lines. I’m still learning in doing fur/hair, there are some amazing sculptors out there that make it SO real you have to look twice. You could experiment on a piece of clay first.

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 pm

I don't think anyone could ever be better than you at sculpting! Very Happy
And that is such a good idea, to do strokes more at an angle- so more curved lines in the direction of its growth rather than straight? And I'll definitely experiment on clay first! Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 9:07 pm

Bonnie wrote:
I don't think anyone could ever be better than you at sculpting! Very Happy
And that is such a good idea, to do strokes more at an angle- so more curved lines in the direction of its growth rather than straight? And I'll definitely experiment on clay first! Thank you so much!
ah, there’s loads better than me! That’s right, you’ve got it! Curved is the word!

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 9:09 pm

Perfect, I'll give it a try this time! Thank you again! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 12:32 am

Very Happy I can't believe you made these 2 new fantastic models so quickly! Sculpting and painting!!.. You have gold fingers Bonnie! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:27 am

Wow oh wow! Wonderful hounds!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 am

These Afghan Hounds are soooo charming.
Especially the adult one is full of life .
And your models already have very charming style, which makes them easily recognizable :)
Applause Applause Applause

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am

Applause cheers flower
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 10:08 am

Thank you so so much Caracal, Paige, Kosta and Luke! sunny
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Wonderful models!! Applause Applause

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!   Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonnie's A-Z of Dog Sculptures- Update Abruzesse Sheepdog!
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next