Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?

Go down 
+6
Bonnie
Tupolew Tu-154
costicuba
Roger
Taos
Saarlooswolfhound
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  Empty
PostSubject: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 10:32 pm

I originally had this model from childhood and her poor bobtail broke off at somepoint. I tried to fix it a few different ways, each to no avail and thus decided to replace the model. When I bought her brand new, she was still in production, I was a little disappointed to see that her painting had been updated and thus she didn't match the little foal I had. Being a tad bit obsessive it bothered me enough to decide to keep an eye out for an older variation which I recently purchased. She came in the mail today and I was surprised to find that... its stamped and clearly sculpted to be male (although technically its a gelding rather than a stallion as the stamp claims). I checked my newer replacement and the stamp has removed the word stallion and other identifying characteristics. Wink

I swear my original mare WAS a mare, not a stud. Can anyone confirm this? Were there 2 off white colored versions originally (a stallion/gelding and also a mare), and then an updated whiter colored mare who got paired to a new stallion (which I don't have for comparison, but is a different mould)? Or am I misremembering my original mare (a possibility since she had a foal I just remember using it as a mare for it...)?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not the best quality but you should see the upper model just says clydesdale and has no sex characteristics, the bottom has the words clydesdale stallion and is male.

Maybe catalog photos circa 2004 would help? The furthest back I have is about 2011 I think...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 10:53 pm

My model is from 2004 and says stallion but its a geldinge:) .Also the foal that I have with it says its a colt and is also 2004.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 11:15 pm

Thank you Taylor. The wiki shows two color variations, but are they both mares? Or one a stallion/gelding and one a mare? You can't quite tell from the angle of the photo.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 12:40 am

Paige, Pictures on TAW are from Susanne but I built the tables according with what I have found from catalogues.
On 2006 catalogue, the Clydesdale is sold as a mare. Apparently it changed at a certain point, probably 2008 when many things happened. I will study it better and try to figure out what to put on TAW about it.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 1:37 am

Well, here I am again although I am not sure I am replying to what you want to know. Is it a genital question? Embarassed Wink
This model was released in 2005, I didn't have this (next) picture when the page on TAW was created.
Safari models from these years, are marked with the year previous to their releases.
On picture below, I think the figure does not present genitals but it is sold just as a Clydesdale. 2006 catalogue shows it being marketed as a Clydesdale mare and 2007 catalogue shows it again as a Clidesdale and I think we can see on 2007 picture that it is a male.
I will remove the word "Mare" from the wiki page and maybe we can work together something to turn the wiki page elucidative to those who visit it.

2005 Safari Ltd catalogue

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 am

Roger I think you did answer the question. The gelding that Taylor and I have must be from either the earliest version or a special run. As for his genitals they are relatively discreet, as you can see from my first comparison photo the left is the gelding and the right is the mare version, and until you flip them over its not obvious which is which. Catalog wise what you've shown makes sense, I only remember it being marketed as a mare, but again I don't have early catalogs.

My question remains though, does anyone have a mare with the darker coloration? Yellow socks and darker coat as I remember mine being? Because if not my old one that is gone must've been a gelding too and I am remembering incorrectly.

As for the wiki, perhaps we can make a note somewhere that it was marketed and sold as a stallion/gelding and a mare at different times? I am happy to provide a photo of my two models for comparison.

As a last note, the horse in both catalog photos I have not seen the color variation for. None of my models I have had had a white nose, just the blaze up the front it's face, and the socks are higher up the legs than mine too.

Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 3:27 am

I don`t have this nice looking model and I can`t help with exact information.
I just checked MPV, were, they still sell this model in Safari Antique Corner and it is described as mare.
Here is the Link and on the stock photos, it looks like mare.
My thoughts are these :
maybe first in 2005, this model was sculpted as stallion/gelding ( and the name on the catalogue is just Clydesdale )
But because Safari made also a foal, they decided to make the model a mare .
And then on 2008 , they made a new model - Clydesdale Stallion.

Watching your photos Paige, to me the stallion/gelding model looks with older style of colours and painting. Maybe it is the first , original model... scratch

Maybe Susanne can help here :)

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 3:55 am

Wait what? Safari stallions have no balls?

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 4:02 am

Thank you Kosta! I bet Susanne can teach us too. :)

Tupolew Tu-154, in this case no it does not... stamped stallion, but it is definitely a gelding.

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 am

They are both very beautiful models and I'm sorry that I can't help more than that! Very Happy All I can say is that like everyone else, it could be a change due to age? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 10:21 am

I have the 'mare' which in my collection is a gelding and I have the foal too, my figure is stamped Clydesdale mare

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 12:40 pm

I think the 2007 catalogue picture shows it is a male even if it just refers to it as a Clydesdale.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 6:31 pm

This is my model of the adult and the foal.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 1:45 am

Thanks for your pictures Taylor. It remains still a little confuse to me.
Only 2005 and 2007 catalogues show it without the word "mare". 2006 and 2008 up to the most recent catalogues, show it again as a mare. Do you have any idea when did you buy your models?
However, I am convinced Taylor's models are earlier than Paige's.
It can give an explanation. Taylor's model is marked stallion and it was probably supposed to be a male initially. Not long after, they introduce a Shire stallion and they start displaying it on catalogue together with the Clydes as they were a family. Clydes painting was updated to match the Shire, they reduce white noticiably. Thus, it was convenient to use the Clyde as a mare. These are very similar breeds and they surely found it useless to make two different families. For general market, they work perfectly as a family. Maybe this picture of the 2013 catalogue illustrates what I mean. However, it does not explain everything.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:25 am

My very original mare I would have bought in 2005/2006, so very early run (and I obviously don't trust my memory on the sex for the model, but I'm thinking it must have been male), my "new" one I bought directly from safari last year I think, this gelding I bought off ebay last week, no idea what year it hails from.

I think you've got the story right Roger, at least until we get more details from other owners of the model.

Taylor, are your horses a yellow-white? Or a cleaner white? My "old" one is a yellowish off white.

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:30 am

Tupolew Tu-154 wrote:

Lol, American mothers have a real phobia of exposing their innocent angels to things like genitalia. As an American based company, it stands to reason Safari would play to their core audience.
Check out some of the comments on the dogs in this Amazon ad for Chinamal dogs- parents are incensed the male Chihuahua has boy parts lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:12 pm

Roger-Sadly I really can't remember when I bought my model but its a good number of years ago!
Paige-the white in my adult horse is a less intense white that the white on the foal.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Roger just made me aware of this topic cheers

Ohh, I love this kind of challenge Laughing

The model was launched as just Clydesdale in 2004, and was a gelding the first years.
But in 2009 the real stallion ( full stallion ) was launched, and the poor gelding changed into a mare.
In a way it was very lucky, as he had a foal already in 2004 affraid  lol!

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 2:02 am

Thank you Taylor.

Of course Susanne has the right answers! Thank you all for helping with this conundrum. sunny

Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 am

pipsxlch wrote:
Tupolew Tu-154 wrote:

Lol, American mothers have a real phobia of exposing their innocent angels to things like genitalia. As an American based company, it stands to reason Safari would play to their core audience.
Check out some of the comments on the dogs in this Amazon ad for Chinamal dogs- parents are incensed the male Chihuahua has boy parts lol. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know. Schleich shows all genitalia at their animals and some american mothers are gone mad. lol!

sortepletter

Country/State : Niedersachsen Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 5:37 am

I never read anything about american mothers going mad, especially as the genitalia on most Schleich animals are just suggestions of them or are nonexistent altogether
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 4:02 am

sortepletter wrote:
I never read anything about american mothers going mad, especially as the genitalia on most Schleich animals are just suggestions of them or are nonexistent altogether

Then look at their horses. Twisted Evil

sortepletter

Country/State : Niedersachsen Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 4:26 am

I did. Two little dots for a mare and a sort of "triangle" for the geldings Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?    Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari ltd. Clydesdale mare... or stallion?
Page 1 of 1