Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Old figures, what is the brand?

Go down 
+2
rogerpgvg
NightLioness
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

Old figures, what is the brand? Empty
PostSubject: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I have found some very old figures that I don't know the brand of.
Maybe it is very simple and TAI has all the information...
But my knowledge about Vintage figures is so limited, that I don't know where to start.

They are made of a strange type of hard plastic?
Would love to know the brand and how old these figures may be.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]image share

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 pm

The elephant and ostrich are Clairets. They are normally marked F. Clairet in a small font. The others are probably also from French brands. Not Starlux, but perhaps Acedo, Cyrnos or JIM. JIMs are normally also marked.

It looks like the camel has the acetone disease: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Disinfect the others (I usually put them 1-2 mins in very diluted bleach) and keep them away from the camel. It looks like the ostrich and giraffe may be infected too.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
The elephant and ostrich are Clairets. They are normally marked F. Clairet in a small font. The others are probably also from French brands. Not Starlux, but perhaps Acedo, Cyrnos or JIM. JIMs are normally also marked.

It looks like the camel has the acetone disease: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Disinfect the others (I usually put them 1-2 mins in very diluted bleach) and keep them away from the camel. It looks like the ostrich and giraffe may be infected too.

None of them are Clairet.

The ostrich is a Starlux 1953, the young elephant and the giraffe are Jim, the armadillo is a Prior. I can’t help now for the bear, the camel and the black panther.
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 5:35 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:

Eekk!! O.0 Thank you for noting that!! I will put them in a diluted bleach bath then.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm

the black panther is from Acedo. They had the same mold for panther and tiger that's why this panther has side whiskers!

Christophe, the young elephant is from Acedo too.. :)
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Sorry, my bad, I got it all wrong Embarassed. At least they are French Smile
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

None of them are Clairet.

The ostrich is a Starlux 1953, the young elephant and the giraffe are Jim, the armadillo is a Prior. I can’t help now for the bear, the camel and the black panther.

WOW. I don't know these vintage brands, but looking at TAI I would call them Clairet too. Either these companies have copied one another or TAI has errors?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 10:05 pm

The Clairet young elephant and ostrich are different... Even on TAI Wink

TAI has one error on the Clairet page, too much crocodiles, one of them isn't a Clairet.

Alain, I agree for the young elephant... My mistake.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes, they are different on TAI. I was looking at the Clairet book by Alain Thomas and Daniel Trombetta (do you have it?) and the pictures are a bit less clear. Excuses, excuses ...

We had some discussion about the crocodile, but its identity didn't get completely resolved, even though we seemed to agree that it isn't Clairet: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 12:09 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Yes, they are different on TAI. I was looking at the Clairet book by Alain Thomas and Daniel Trombetta (do you have it?) and the pictures are a bit less clear. Excuses, excuses ...

We had some discussion about the crocodile, but its identity didn't get completely resolved, even though we seemed to agree that it isn't Clairet: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You don’t have to feel sorry. You tried to help as I would try if I had found this topic without replies. I’d surely give my best too and the result would probably be worse. Laughing
Fortunately our friends that are very knowledgeable about French vintage companies found this topic. cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 am

rogerpgvg wrote:

As CrocRoger said, you don't need to excuse yourself, be helpful to each other is STS philosophy since the beginning.

Yes I have the book, I will try to complete my book collection with more obscure brand for Christmas, maybe we will know about this croc then.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am

The mystery for me is that bear which looks like the little Clairet one, I met it from time to time but never found its brand!..

Blaine is not wrong, all these french vintage brands used to copy themselves and above all Clairet (even Starlux at the first generation!), changing just one detail and it's no easy to identify each brand even for us french people.. :)

There is a range of beautiful wild and domestic animals looking a lot to Clairet ones but even better, whose brand is yet unknown. These animals are known above all by cheap bazar copies and some colored originals. I suspect "Parisot" but without any certainty..

What is good to know too, is that most of these brand factories were situated in "Montreuil sous Bois" and it was easy to know all competition productions for each brand!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Do you have a photo of this brand that is better than Clairet? I am curious.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyThu Nov 12, 2020 7:10 pm

.. yes I have some copies I'll show you.. :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Well, this mysterious brown bear would be from Acedo too!.. but I would need to a closer piture to be sure.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Caracal wrote:
.. yes I have some copies I'll show you.. :)

Show them please bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm

.. but you already saw them! ("a mysterious old vintage french brand " in "Starlux and other french vintage brands").. :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? EmptyTue Nov 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Indeed, I thought it was another one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old figures, what is the brand?   Old figures, what is the brand? Empty

Back to top Go down

Old figures, what is the brand?
Page 1 of 1