Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eagle owl & manatee

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

Eagle owl & manatee  Empty
PostSubject: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 pm

Dear collectors!
I want to add an eagle owl to my collection, but cannot decide between the Schleich and Safari models.
For me, the Safari sculpt is worse: the eyes are to round and dont have the characteristic angry expression of these owls. Besides, I dont like the legs...
On the other hand, the Schleich paint is too dark for me.
Im totally confused!!

About the manatees... I wonder if the new Schleich can be used as a different species than the Papo's. And, what about the CollectA's?

Thanks for your opinions!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

I don't understand your issues with Safari's eagle owl. The eyes are the less rounded of all the owls available in the figurine world. So why you say they're too round? I also can't see a problem with the legs...

All manatees done by any brand are Western Indian ones. A brand should say especifically that their manatee is either of the other two species for having more than the typical one in the figurine world. It's more or less the same than with manatees in zoos (almost all are Western Indian, and just only a couple of sites in Japan keeps Amazonian and African).

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 am

Hi Pardo,

About the owl. Ok, maybe is not the roundess of the eyes but the wrinkeld frown. This feature is very distinctive for this species, while the Safari figure is more relaxed. And I want a angry owl ha ha. And for the legs, I think they are very prominent, while in the animal they are much more integrated with the plumage of the chest/abdomen.

And, for the manatees. Why's so? In my opinion if a brand doesn't specify the spieces (and sometimes, even if they do) it is the appearance of the figure, its features, what should make us decide. I don't agree with the rule you mentioned, sorry.
Try to answer this: if Schleich would have marked its manatee as Amazonian or African, would you agree?

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 am

I personally don't think they'd say if it was African or Amazonian as to many children it's a weird unusual animal and just adding a specific species name is unnecessary.

EDIT: After doing a little digging around Schleich purposely meant to make it a West Indian Manatee, as its scientific name is on their website, and this attributes to the species in question.

However Schleich puts the global home of this species in Australia Suspect scratch
No manatees live remotely close to Australia, however dugongs do, but this is a different species.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks Adam!

Actually, after a brief search on the Internet, I think the Papo and Schleich can fit as a West African manatee while the CollectA's can be a West Indian:

West African manatee: more elongated and smaller head,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

West Indian manatee: fatter, bigger head and with the charecteristic moss covering its back,

But, of course, most of you know much more than me!
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 am

Well I have the new Schleich down as an African for that very reason Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 am

Pepi, I had the same problem with eagle-owls as you and could not decide. I decided to go with Schleich, for almost the same reasons you are mentioning.
Also the Safari would be somehow larger than I wanted, compared to the rest of my collection
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 am

spacelab wrote:
Pepi, I had the same problem with eagle-owls as you and could not decide. I decided to go with Schleich, for almost the same reasons you are mentioning.
Also the Safari would be somehow larger than I wanted, compared to the rest of my collection

Oh man, now I was closer to Safari hahaha
About the size, all my owls are a little bit oversized, since I have some Kaiyodos CQM on their way.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm

Pepi wrote:
Thanks Adam!

Actually, after a brief search on the Internet, I think the Papo and Schleich can fit as a West African manatee while the CollectA's can be a West Indian:

West African manatee: more elongated and smaller head,

West Indian manatee: fatter, bigger head and with the charecteristic moss covering its back,

But, of course, most of you know much more than me!

I have the Papo and know well the CollectA.
The Papo looks more like a West Indian oran hybrid between the two species. The CollectA is not a West Indian manatee, it is clearly a "Too shorth body" manatee Wink

For the Eurasian eagle-owl, after years of collecting I still have none. I'm still not able to choose one.
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Thanks Kiki!

I can see the owl topic is also an old topic for some! The thing is that the Schleich is now retired and should decide soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eagle owl & manatee    Eagle owl & manatee  Empty

Back to top Go down

Eagle owl & manatee
Page 1 of 1