Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Joe's collection

Go down 
+13
Burgerenby
Taos
Caracal
widukind
Pardofelis
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
Roger
pipsxlch
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
cmj3
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cmj3

Country/State : Virginia

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Hey I've been posting my collections at the animal toy forum for a bit and now I'm gonna bring up my most current version here.

First here's my Non-cetacean collection
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The top is my marine collection, which includes most of the Non-cetacean Monterey Bay Aquarium collection figures except for the giant squid ( I'll get there). The bottom is a shelf I dedicate specifically for the Carnegie Museum collection. The 2008 Diplodocus is an early birthday present, the mammoth was one I had as a kid, the rest I recently got in a lot.

Here's the rest of my terrestrial animal collection, with the bottom shelf being my Non-Carnegie prehistoric figures.

Now to my most active portion of my collection: My cetaceans. I generally have each shelf lumped up according to phylogeny, but I ended up having to put the Balaenids and Balaenoptera on the top shelf together.

Gray whales and humpback whales.

Now it's time for the Physeteroids

My dolphins, porpoises, and beaked whales

My fossil whales

The Livyatan is most certainly a relatively derived Physteroid, but I didn't have enough room on the main sperm whale shelf.

And last and not least, my Monterey Bay Aquarium display stand! This just arrived yesterday

And no, I didn't move any previously-shown figures around for this. With the exception of the giant squid and the narwhal, I own either 2 or 3 of every Monterey Bay Aquarium figure.

And for funsies, I decided to show off what an actual 1:40 scale collection of marine animals would look like.
Sizes for adult animals

Blue whale: 31.2 meters- exceptional
Sperm whale (bull): 19.4 meters- exceptional
Humpback whale: 14.48 meters- typical
Gray whale: 13.6 meters-typical
Sperm whale (cow): 11.6 meters-typical
Whale shark: 10 meters-typical
Giant Squid: 9.8 meters- above average
Orca (bull): 7.6 meters- typical for the larger ecotypes
Dwarf Minke:7.6 meters-typical
Orca (cow): 6.5 meters-typical
Pilot whale: 6.4 meters-typical
Megamouth shark: 7-meters-technically above the accepted maximum
Safari TOOB dolphins: Range from 2.8-3.8-typical
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 4:17 pm

I always love it when people share their whole collections! cheers cheers
And yours is amazing, so many fantastic models to look at, and all beautifully displayed! sunny
And I even spotted 3 wonderful dogs, including the gorgeous Safari Golden Retriever! drunken I love you
Thank you so much for sharing this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Wonderful collections! Those giant whales are amazing and wonderfully huge!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 5:01 pm

Amazing cetacean collection! Applause
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 5:57 pm

I am glad you decided to share your collection here.
A Safari based collection, it is a long time since I've seen a collection like yours.
You are very young, that is not expectable at all to see Carnegie and Monterey Bay collections in such a young collector's shelves.
I enjoy especially your 1:40 Cetaceans. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 6:13 pm

This is amazing affraid

So beautyful and so interesting ! I even think I spot an retired Papo bay horse Very Happy

What brand is the enormous Blue Whale, please ?

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 6:38 pm

The Aquatic life Very Happy Beautiful Applause

Could you show us some Livyatan pics please ?
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I got hooked on the MBA line at a young age after some trips to either a museum's or aquarium's gift shops.

Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
This is amazing affraid

So beautyful and so interesting ! I even think I spot an retired Papo bay horse Very Happy

What brand is the enormous Blue Whale, please  ?

Yes, the horse is a 2008 Papo Bay

The Blue whale's brand is Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advance
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
The Aquatic life Very Happy  Beautiful Applause

Here. It's from a brand called ''Rheic'' that does 3D-printed polyresin models. It has a few other animals, including the blue whale, Zygophyseter and Basilosaurus. The only one I wanted was the Livyatan. I bought the unassembled option because it was way cheaper and I had the option of painting it myself. I decided to go with a coloration intermediate of sperm whale's and something like a false killer whale.

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:17 pm

The MBA display stand is fantastic. Do I understand correctly that it was actually produced by Safari to show off the MBA figures? What is the large sperm whale on the stand?

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:23 pm

I should also mention that some of these figures have been touched-up or repainted by me.

The smaller blue whale under the Kaiyodo one is Papo's articulated jaw one that I repainted extensively to better match the actual animal, including the baleen. It's ridiculous how good it looks with a better paint job because the sculpt is literally second to none outside of several hundred dollar models.

The giant sperm whale was a nautical sculpture I painted

comparison

The Safari Ltd Bowhead has its eye-rings painted over.

Two of my 3 MBA humpbacks and killer whales were touched up to hide scratches

Last edited by cmj3 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 9:33 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
The MBA display stand is fantastic. Do I understand correctly that it was actually produced by Safari to show off the MBA figures? What is the large sperm whale on the stand?

Yes, the stand was made just for the Monterey Bay line, similar to how the Carnegie collection and the Vanishing Wild Line had their own. However, the Monterey Bay stand is unique as it was a separate mold. All the other stands for the vanishing wild, Carnegie, and Wild Safari are just recolors.

The sperm whale is from a brand call MDS ''Call Me Nautical'' that I got from everythingnautical.com. I got it because I desperately wanted a figure to represent a physically mature sperm whale of at least 16 meters, but nothing could do it. This sculpture was the best compromise. Despite being intended as a simple caricature, it's fairly anatomically accurate in terms of proportions except, for one thing. Its blowhole is two nostrils that are centered rather than being one nostril off to the left.

At the 1:40 scale, it corresponds to a 19.4-meter individual. This works fine as the largest individual to be officially measured was 20.7 meters and museum jawbone specimens of 5 meters or greater suggest individuals of similar size as the jaws take up about 25% of the total length in larger bull sperm whales.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 10:14 pm

What a fantastic collection, especially the 1:40 cetacean display (tough the giant sperm whale is quite distracting, as big as a mature blue whale??). I'm also curious about, what's this thing preserved in alcohol?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 11:06 pm

cmj3 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Here. It's from a brand called ''Rheic'' that does 3D-printed polyresin models. It has a few other animals, including the blue whale, Zygophyseter and Basilosaurus. The only one I wanted was the Livyatan. I bought the unassembled option because it was way cheaper and I had the option of painting it myself. I decided to go with a coloration intermediate of sperm whale's and something like a false killer whale.

You bought it at Lana Time shop ?
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 11:27 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
cmj3 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

You bought it at Lana Time shop ?

Ebay
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Jan 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
What a fantastic collection, especially the 1:40 cetacean display (tough the giant sperm whale is quite distracting, as big as a mature blue whale??). I'm also curious about, what's this thing preserved in alcohol?

As for the sperm whale, as I've noted in the main post and elaborated on in the replies, the model represents an exceptionally large individual, not an average physically mature sperm whale of 16 meters. At 19.4 meters, it's well within the range of the typical maximum lengths of 18-19 meters. While claims of 24 meters are disputed, the longest, officially recorded specimen measured 20.7 meters. This is generally the largest size accepted by scientists. Some aspects of the proportions may be slightly off for the sculpture I'm using, but the overall length is actually accurate when representing the maximum length of male sperm whales. I wouldn't compare it to a mature blue whale as those are still quite a bit larger. Physically mature blue whales in the North Atlantic and the Antarctic are physically mature at around 24-26 meters and around 100 metric tons. Even pygmy blue whales are closer to 21-23 on average.

It just looks large next to the blue whale because of tilting.

The sperm whale is about 48.5cm
The blue whale is 78cm.

The animal preserved in a jar is a spiny dogfish pup.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 12:14 pm

A very nice collection. A special highlight is the Kaiyodo blue whale :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Very impressive collection! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptySat Jan 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Superb collection! Applause Applause Applause

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyFri Sep 03, 2021 8:00 am

What a beautiful ensemble of whales.
Back to top Go down
cmj3

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Hey guys, I'm back. Since last time, I've been working hard to finish up my Bachelor's, and moved from home for the past 4 months to work as a Patient care tech. Now I've moved back and have full access to my collection again. My collection has grown a bit, and I'm not fully displayign all my new stuff yet because I'm getting  a new, bigger shelf this christmas. For now, I'll just give a brief rundown of the more important stuff.

I've been dabbling in creating 1:40 scale homemade models of whales using paper-mache clay and cardboard armatures. Check out this thread on ATB for more.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've of, course, bought the PNSO Livyatan

I've also purchased the PNSO Blue whale!

From the tip of the snout to the notch of the flukes, it's 97.5cm. When compared to the 33.26m female caught in 1926, which some experts propose as the largest reliably measured blue whale within the whaling record, it's closer to the 1:34 than THE 1:35 scale that it's advertised as. It's closer to the 1:27 scale for an average physically-mature Antarctic blue whale of 26 meters (I guess these conversion are pretty easy when the darn thing is nearly a full meter). It's definitely not for my 1:40 scale collection. It's still nice to have though. When compared to my 78cm Kaiyodo MSA blue whale, the PNSO sculpture is less detailed in its sculpt (lacks genital slits and is overall marginally less realistic), however the paintjob makes the mottling of the skin look more realistic. However, the mottling extends into the pectoral fins and head of the whale, which is inaccurate. A major area where the PNSO blue whale shines is the build quality, I.E. the lack of seams. This model cost about $700 when including shipping on Amazon vs the $300-400 for the Kaiyodo model. I would generally recommend the Kaiyodo model, unless the bigger size and lack of seams/gaps is a big enough incentive to drop another $300. Either way, no regrets

I will be updating this page around Christmas to show off my full collection w/ the new shelf I'll be getting

Last edited by cmj3 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 7:59 pm

Wonderful new whales

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 8:08 pm

Very interesting whales. The Pnso Model are expensive, but are very detailed.

cheers cheers

Bonnie

Bonnie

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 8:21 pm

Really wonderful new additions! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

Joe's collection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe's collection
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next