Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Joe's collection

Go down 
+13
Burgerenby
Taos
Caracal
widukind
Pardofelis
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
Roger
pipsxlch
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
cmj3
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Joe's collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 11:36 pm

Great collection. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Country/State : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 12:44 am

Taos wrote:
Great collection. Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Thank you
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 5:13 pm

I really enjoyed seeing your homemade cetaceans on ATF topic you linked. Both fora use the same code, you can easily copy your posts if you wish. Fantastic improvement, if you keep working, you'll surely attain a fantastic level. Those are also good ideas for such giant animal figures.
Is really that what you pay in USD to get those whales? I was not aware theyre so expensive. Shocked
It was also interesting to read your observations about the PNSO model.

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 5:35 pm

Roger wrote:
I really enjoyed seeing your homemade cetaceans on ATF topic you linked. Both fora use the same code, you can easily copy your posts if you wish. Fantastic improvement, if you keep working, you'll surely attain a fantastic level. Those are also good ideas for such giant animal figures.
Is really that what you pay in USD to get those whales? I was not aware theyre so expensive. Shocked

Glad you liked my creations. I feel the Sei whale and Bryde's still need some work, but I'm still very proud of my fin whale, Balaenids, and sperm whale. I feel if I am to go any further with sculpting, I'm going to have to change up the materials I'm working with, specifically the clay. I feel that's what I feel been limiting me.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 5:50 pm

The new PNSOs look great!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 8:28 pm

cmj3 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Glad you liked my creations. I feel the Sei whale and Bryde's still need some work, but I'm still very proud of my fin whale, Balaenids, and sperm whale. I feel if  I am to go any further with sculpting, I'm going to have to change up the materials I'm working with, specifically the clay. I feel that's what I feel been limiting me.

I believe the material you're using for your large whales is quite adjusted and it helped you to find a good way to develope your sculpting skills. Also, some kinds of materials for such big models would result such a huge investment. You started with what gave you more motivation so, you will feel better prepared when using a more noble material.
I don't know how enthusiastic you are about smaller cetaceans, but those could be really good to you start experiencing other materials with more confidence. One thing is absolutely sure, you can't stop doing it, your talent is evident.

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Roger wrote:

I believe the material you're using for your large whales is quite adjusted and it helped you to find a good way to develope your sculpting skills. Also, some kinds of materials for such big models would result such a huge investment. You started with what gave you more motivation so, you will feel better prepared when using a more noble material.
I don't know how enthusiastic you are about smaller cetaceans, but those could be really good to you start experiencing other materials with more confidence. One thing is absolutely sure, you can't stop doing it, your talent is evident.

Thank you. After taking a break from sculpting, I created an excel spreadsheet of all cetacean species that I don't have within the 1:30-1:40 scale. I've condensed the list so species that appear effectively identical in terms of external morphology are counted towards a single model. My next plan is to look towards the larger species of beaked whales. Before then, I'm gonna put some time aside towards doing more research about sculpting. I'm only doing this for species that aren't already being mass-produced. So I won't being doing a humpback whale when the MBA model exists or a blue whale either ( maybe a pygmy blue whale if I'm bored though XD).
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Here's my update for my personal collection.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've decided to drop my cetacean/non-cetacean division of my collection. I've decided to unite all my marine life figures together and organize by scale.

Top shelf is marine life from 1:10-1:30 scale range

Next is 1:30-1:40 scale marine life

Next shelf is for homemade figures and extra marine life at the 1:30-1:40 scale

Next shelf is for my miscellaneous marine life. Includes figures that are less realistic, larger than 1:10 scale, and my 1:70 scale whale figures.

Next is my terrestrial collection. Upper shelf contains extant species, below is extinct species ( Most carnegie collection)

And lastly, my MBA collection.

Last edited by cmj3 on Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 12:14 am

You have beautiful aquatic animals. sunny sunny

Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 1:08 am

What a gorgeous sea life collection! Those blue whales are simply stunning!!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 7:58 am

Very nice! Grouping them by scales is a good idea, it give the sense of harmony between figures :)
I want that little blue penguin Very Happy

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 9:45 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Very nice! Grouping them by scales is a good idea, it give the sense of harmony between figures :)
I want that little blue penguin Very Happy

Yeah, the original division of my collection was a consequence of my marine life figures initially being really whale-skewed. Now that my marine life is a lot more diverse, and I have more space, the division looked less desirable. Given the current scope of my collection, I sought for a more museum-like vibe.

The penguin is part of the New Zealand Wildlife Figures Pack by Stewart Sales & Services.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 9:50 am

Oh, I tought it was from the Colorata penguin box set?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 11:18 am

Lovely marine collection :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 11:55 am

.. indeed! cheers cheers drunken 

What is this beautiful Basilosaurus please?
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Caracal wrote:
.. indeed! cheers cheers drunken 

What is this beautiful Basilosaurus please?

PNSO 1/35 scale Basilosaurus
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 12:58 pm

OK Thank you cmj3! :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Beautiful display for your impressive collection Applause

Who is it please ? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 26, 2021 10:44 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Beautiful display for your impressive collection Applause

Who is it please ? Very Happy

That is also from the Stewart Sales and Services New Zealand pack
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 4:37 pm

I present the newest addition to my private hall of whales, the Kaiyodo Aqualand AVL 002W 1/35 scale Humpback whale!

Background: The Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advance blue whale is actually a re-issue of an old Kaiyodo Aqualand vinyl garage kit known as the AQL 100W 1/35 scale blue whale.Over the past year, I've been hunting the elusive AQL 100W 1/35 sperm whale.EVERY DAY I look it up on the internet, searching for listings. For months at a time there's nothing, until two weeks ago, a listing was posted for the sperm whale. I set a maximum bid of 80,000 yen.I lost, (2nd place too) but the same seller also had an ongoing auction for the humpback whale, which I won for 64,000 yen.

This is how the model arrived on the 25th. I had to cut the flaps of vinyl from the insertion sites of the all pieces in order to assemble it.

I ended up needing a knife to get the job done. Later, I used a hair-dryer to get the parts to slide in easier and gorilla glue to seal the mouth shut. I then applied epoxy putty around the insertion on the flippers to close the seams (worth it).

Next came the paintjob. Settling on a pattern was challenging due to the great variation within this species.  The model is approx 50cm from snout to the fluke-notch. This places it at about 17.5m at the 1/35 scale. The only humpbacks that grew that large were from the Antarctic. So I used them as the basis for the paintjob. The key difference in the coloration of Antarctic humpbacks is that they have more extensive white coloration on their ventral side. My first attempt was alright, but the glossy sealant I used was excessive and made it look like a rubber toy. I added a new coat to everything with a matte finish and it looks much better with a nice, intermediate luster. For realism, I also ''dusted'' some faint white streaks for a realistic wear on the skin from the cold water.

Here's how the humpback looks next to the MSA blue whale.

This model wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it's easily one of the most valuable pieces of my collection and I'm grateful for it. However, my hunt for the sperm whale rages on! Since the Kaiyodo MSA Blue whale is a re-release of these older kits, I would love it if Kaiyodo did the same for the sperm whale.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 6:25 pm

very beautiful model! cheers cheers 

I hope you will be more lucky than captain Achab! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Gorgeous model, its huge! Humpbacks are my favorite whales and you did an amazing job painting it. I hope you can find that sperm whale!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 6:35 pm

I really enjoyed to read about the background of this model. I love when there are other stories to tell.
You improved a figure that is already very impressive! cheers

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 7:06 pm

Impressive model and excellent paint job. Although I like sperm whales, I think humpback whales look more graceful and their colours are more interesting. It's a great addition to your already amazing collection.

Country/State : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm

I saw your cetacean collection on ATF and it's truly impressive!

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe's collection   Joe's collection - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe's collection
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next