Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)

Go down 
+4
Caracal
Bonnie
widukind
Pardofelis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) Empty
PostSubject: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:41 pm

Hey guys, maybe some of you remember my red-necked avocet:

Pardofelis wrote:

3. The Australian avocet, Recurvirostra novaehollandiae. From the 4 avocet species this is the more attractive for me so it's what I chosen for made Very Happy
Of course, legs are wires, tough bill is made from paste and I fear for a future breakage Sad This model was a bit of disaster because it don't stand. I had to add crude modelling paste under the feet for make them flatter Sad and paint over crude paste! I hope this don't will have bad consequences for the figure in the future...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Until now all my Australian fauna consisted on mammals, so it's nice to start to disversify my Aussie range :)

But I always tought that I made the bill too thick. Real avocets have bills like needles!
So now that I have air-drying paste and so I'm able to modify finished figures, I wanted to change the bill by a thinner one.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Absolutly amazing

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:47 pm

widukind wrote:
Absolutly amazing
Yes definitely agree! cheers cheers
It must be so hard to make something so thin but you did it amazingly! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:54 pm

better like that! :)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 pm

Thanks my friends! Definitely not hard, it's just taking a very small piece of paste and then roll it over a surface! But the result is indeed an improvement :) The only issue is the base of the old bill, that remained and make an irregular surface in what now is the front and throat Sad maybe I should fix it too...

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 6:57 pm

Far better now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 10:17 pm

It is hard to make these figures stand. Even real avocets took centuries to learn how to stand, they have their legs far back under their bodies and a robuste chest, so they were always falling and falling forward. That's the reason why modern avocets herited the crooked beak from their ancestors. geek
It is surely much better, I am surprised you haven't used wire to make the beak. A complete armature could surely help. Then, thin layers of clay only to give the correct thickness to the beak and give to it its shape. I am afraid without the wire it will break easily. Well, it is a redesigned beak and your work is very good. Very Happy

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptySun Jan 31, 2021 10:33 pm

Hey Roger! You always know to put the funny note in your comments Very Happy It reminds me of these tales about why the animals are as they are, ilustrated with an elephant obtaining its long trunk because came to drink and a crocodile caught it by the nose and was pushing.

Wire to the beak? Absolutely no! First, when I did the bird I only had thick wire, about 1 mm diameter. Now I have a thinner one, but it's the same. With wire I could do the main of the bill but never a tapering end - unless I spend many hours using a file for sharp the wire tip, and even then the result would be probably more ugly.
About resistance, also don't worry. WePam (the paste of the new bill) is much less brittle than SuperSculpey (the paste of the old bill) because the finished result is more flexible.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 1:09 am

Laughing Crocodiles are defintely important animals regarding the evolution of the species. elephant
Nice to know about the wire and clay. There are loads of things to take in consideration when sculpting a figure. I admire all of you who are able of making animal replicas.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 am

Surely an improvement, - but the old one was gorgeous also Very Happy

Roger wrote:
It is hard to make these figures stand. Even real avocets took centuries to learn how to stand, they have their legs far back under their bodies and a robuste chest, so they were always falling and falling forward. That's the reason why modern avocets herited the crooked beak from their ancestors. geek .....

lol!

Of course !!! That was how it happened cheers

lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Very Happy Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)   Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) Empty

Back to top Go down

Updated Australian avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)
Page 1 of 1