Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)

Go down 
+19
pipsxlch
Kikimalou
landrover
widukind
Farm collector
spacelab
lucky luke
Pardofelis
Seeway
Advicot
Caracal
Taos
rogerpgvg
A-J
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
Roger
Bonnie
SeanieP
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) Empty
PostSubject: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm

So after collecting as many African Animals and Diorama scenery for the last 5+ years, I am finally starting to put it together. I would love to know how much I spent over the years on everything! Or maybe I don't!
I have two large 5 x 5 tables and one 2 x 4 table that will hold the diorama. I put all my scenery on top of them today to take inventory. I have a lot of stuff--probably too much. That is a start. As you will see in the photos below all my scenery products and my animal collection. I love herd animals but I know I cannot put a wildebeest migration in the diorama--take up too much space. I also know I cannot use all the animals at once but at least I can trade them out back and forth. There will be 4 part ecosystems of the diorama: plains/savannah, jungle, dry/semi desert and a small Maasai village w/ huts and boma. I have a safari truck as well as the Schleich plane that I hope can hang over the plains. I hope take photos as I go through steps to create this. Big undertaking but I am excited.

Animals
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schleich River set (updated with painting and scenery)

Scenery inventory (trees, rivers, bushes, grass, rocks, sand, hills, etc.)

Last edited by SeanieP on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:12 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Ohhh wow this is going to look amazing!!! cheers cheers cheers
Your collection is stunning- so big, soooo many models! And all the plants and scenery- I can't wait to see! Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
SeanieP

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Bonnie wrote:
Ohhh wow this is going to look amazing!!! cheers cheers cheers
Your collection is stunning- so big, soooo many models! And all the plants and scenery- I can't wait to see! Very Happy bounce

Thanks. My wife says the area looks like a part of Hobby-Lobby. I think I have too much stuff so I will cherry pick the best scenery to use.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Shawn, the huge project is starting! It is really exciting. It is a pity you won't make a wildebeest migration, if it is too big, you know which animals to use to help you reducing it a little. Wink Oh, the MAsai village is a fantastic idea! bounce bounce bounce

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 pm

This is an amazing looking project, oh my goodness!! Shocked Such impressive scope for a personal project. I can't imagine how much time and energy and skill has already gone into it and will go into it. The talent and creativity of this hobby continues to impress me at every turn. Will you have it permanently on display in your home? What a fun room to be in!

Last edited by Jill on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 11:44 pm

Hurray!! I am so excited for you and cant wait to see the end result!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SeanieP

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 am

Roger wrote:
Shawn, the huge project is starting! It is really exciting. It is a pity you won't make a wildebeest migration, if it is too big, you know which animals to use to help you reducing it a little. Wink Oh, the MAsai village is a fantastic idea! bounce bounce bounce

I could probably make a big one across the plains as I can take animals on and off. And take photos for the great migration.

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 7:23 am

So exciting bounce I love dioramas, though I don't have enough space to make my own at the moment. I'm really looking forward to seeing how yours is going to be build cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 am

SeanieP wrote:
Roger wrote:

I could probably make a big one across the plains as I can take animals on and off. And take photos for the great migration.

Especially when they're crossing the Mara river. Laughing It is better that you focus now in your projects, they will require a lot of time and patience. :)

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 1:15 am

I have added on the green insulation to the tables today. I will put the grass mats on tomorrow as the base floor of the diorama. But I have a lot more scenery materials to act as the various floors of the diorama but this is grass matt is a good base and for the plains. It is after the wet season so not too dry yet.  I have also added the map (Eastern Africa) of where I am trying to replicate in a smaller area. So if you see no meerkats or springbok, it is because I am not including South African animals, for example. However, I may be stretching the boarders with some of my animals such as African Water Buffalo and Fennec Fox (though I do include Northern Sudan where he can be found).  Rolling Eyes  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 2:12 am

Lots of hard work and I always wondered how these were made. Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see more.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 7:47 am

Very exciting! bounce
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm

What a fantastic project, I am looking forward to seeing the finished diorama (and actually before it is finished too)! What are the trees that you have? I am never going to make a diorama like you, but even on a simple shelf it would be nice to have some trees.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 pm

Sooooo longing forward to this bounce bounce bounce bounce

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 11:18 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
What a fantastic project, I am looking forward to seeing the finished diorama (and actually before it is finished too)! What are the trees that you have? I am never going to make a diorama like you, but even on a simple shelf it would be nice to have some trees.

Thanks, The big trees under the table are Schleich Acacia and Baobab trees. Others are from railroad diorama hobby stores.

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 pm

Here is the green grass matt as the base of the diorama.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 pm

What a wonderful project! I am impatient to se the result! I have a similar one but at 1/32 scale because I miss place and because I already constitued my herds at this scale. 😊👍👍
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 5:42 pm

I am so very excited to see this diorama progress!!! Very Happy I love you Applause Applause

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 pm

Lush green fodder for your figures. cheers bounce

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 pm

Ah, the Schleich trees. Very beautiful but so expensive.

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Ah, the Schleich trees. Very beautiful but so expensive.

I am finding what I have been collecting over the last 10 years is worth so much now because they do not make them anymore such as the trees adn river/waterfall.

SeanieP

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 2:02 am

I am using the Schleich River Set as my central part of the Diorama.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 2:42 am

It looks great! Excellent and realistic alterations.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 8:14 am

A good start! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm

A beautiful set, this is definitely one of the best made by Schleich! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)   After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked) Empty

Back to top Go down

After 5+ years, I am finally starting the Eastern African Diorama (Updated July 5 with chimp troop and desert/jungle worked)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next