Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Found at an antique store, identification?

Go down 
+4
Bonnie
widukind
Kikimalou
Jill
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Found at an antique store, identification?  Empty
PostSubject: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyTue May 04, 2021 11:59 pm

I went thrifting/antiquing yesterday with no luck, except for seeing these guys and being curious if anyone could tell me what they are. I'm so sorry for the photo quality. They were behind locked glass and more expensive than it was worth asking someone to get them out for me just for photos, but they looked interesting. On the top is that really cool camel of course, but in the box are very geometric stylized animals. All I could recognize were a goat with a bell around its neck and a tiger. I could not find anything that seemed to match these on TAW. No visible stamps on the camel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And then I saw this one, and thought of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], so I thought I'd share it, too! :) No stamps on this one either.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:36 am

The ones in the box are Celluloid animal toys, probably from USA or Japan. They are often expensive. I can't tell the company. At what price are they sold?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Thanks! What makes them different and more expensive? These were $35 for the box, so maybe a normal price after all.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 4:35 pm

As Kiki said, vintage stuff, that i have mostly seen from Japan

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 7:55 pm

Wonderful, wonderful finds! cheers
And what a beautiful, beautiful celluloid collie- I'm so glad you remembered my love for this breed and showed him here, what a proud and gentle face this model has! cheers I love you I've actually never seen it before, but he/she is just wonderful, especially with the lovely flowing fur- very similar to the real Bonnie! Very Happy
I really hope someone may be able to tell us more about them! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Jill wrote:
Thanks! What makes them different and more expensive? These were $35 for the box, so maybe a normal price after all.

35$ is a good price for the box. These toys were produced between WWI end's and 1960's I think. The Celluloïd is the first "plastic" ever. It is a highly flammable material so the production collapsed when more modern plastic were discovered. I can't tell for the world, but I know that French manufacturers like PetitColin produced dollsand also some animal models, US companies did the same and I know that some sought after were produced in "occupied Japan".
So they are old and highly flammable, it explains why somemodels aren't cheap.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed May 05, 2021 11:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you for the information! That's very interesting, and almost makes me want to go back and get a better look at them . . . but they are too large for my current collecting goals, so maybe this time, I'll let them pass. But I appreciate you explaining, there is so much to learn.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I thought the same thing about the coat and face (though that eye painting does make him look a little deranged, haha). If it was smaller I might have brought it home. :)
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 12:02 am

Nice animals, especially the dromedary.

Some animals of this box, are of celluloid, but the dog, ...I think that the material of this collie is not

celluloid. It is made with two parts, ensambled. It is plastic made in China.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 2:27 am

How can you tell celluloid from anything else visually?
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 4:06 am

This material is a mixture of nitrate, cellulose, and other components.

The hot mixture is poured into molds and when it cools, it hardens.

The figure does not bend, nor does it allow twisting.

if you put pressure on it, it breaks, because it is not elastic

This dog is elastic, therefore it is not celluloid.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 8:19 am

landrover wrote:

I was sure you would have something to tell about this cheers I think you have some celluloid animals in your collection. maybe you could open a new topic about this kind of toys ? Very Happy

Jill wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you for the information! That's very interesting, and almost makes me want to go back and get a better look at them . . . but they are too large for my current collecting goals, so maybe this time, I'll let them pass. But I appreciate you explaining, there is so much to learn.

Jill, if I can give you any advice for your collection, it's not to miss out on crushes. The guy who is telling you that made a lot of mistakes.
If you feel attracted by models that are not part of your goals, your goals are the wrong ones.
If these models are rare vintages, do not hesitate because this may be the last time you see them, especially at this price.
A collection is a living process that evolves over time, if tomorrow or in ten years these toys no longer suit you, you can always find another collector who will be happy to buy them back from you.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 3:54 pm

landrover wrote:

Thank you so much for explaining!

Kikimalou wrote:

Jill, if I can give you any advice for your collection, it's not to miss out on crushes. The guy who is telling you that made a lot of mistakes.
If you feel attracted by models that are not part of your goals, your goals are the wrong ones.
If these models are rare vintages, do not hesitate because this may be the last time you see them, especially at this price.
A collection is a living process that evolves over time, if tomorrow or in ten years these toys no longer suit you, you can always find another collector who will be happy to buy them back from you.
And thank you for experienced advice! It is nice just to know something as simple as whether something is priced well or not, that is a learning curve for which I have little reference yet.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:05 pm

Well, I couldn't help it! After work today I went back to see if I could at least see what else was in the box. 14 animals total, including four horses, which really won me over! And then they told me it was on sale, less than $30 . . . . so, I brought them home. Laughing Very different from anything else I have, but really beautiful, and so much more delicate than I expected. All of them are made in Japan. Thank you all for explaining what they were for me! Now I just need to find where they are going to live, because I hate to just box them up!
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 07, 2021 12:13 am

Jill wrote:
Well, I couldn't help it! After work today I went back to see if I could at least see what else was in the box. 14 animals total, including four horses, which really won me over! And then they told me it was on sale, less than $30 . . . . so, I brought them home. Laughing Very different from anything else I have, but really beautiful, and so much more delicate than I expected. All of them are made in Japan. Thank you all for explaining what they were for me! Now I just need to find where they are going to live, because I hate to just box them up!

WOW.....Congratulations.

Now those animals have a better home... Applause Applause

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 07, 2021 8:00 pm

Jill wrote:
Hurray, I'm so glad you've given them a new home! cheers sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 21, 2021 2:49 am

well done on getting them !
kikimalou said it perfectly - 'If you feel attracted by models that are not part of your goals, your goals are the wrong ones.'

the angular goat looks rather interesting ! do you have photos of all of these treasures ?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 21, 2021 4:08 am

Thank you! Yeah, I have carried those words with me and repeated them to myself a few times since then. Laughing Very good advice!

Here's a group picture!

And here's the goat. :)

These two are my favorites:
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 21, 2021 4:17 am

wow they are amazing !
the goat is cute and I love the expressions of the 2 cows at the back. They look angular as well. The horse ? with the blanket is really lovely. I like the colours used.
I see there is also another goat, more realistic. What an interesting lot indeed !
I wonder if they all started their life together and are firm friends and have stayed together for decades ?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyFri May 21, 2021 4:39 am

The two gray cows, the two dark pink horses, and the goat all seem to belong together, they are all very angular/geometric.

sunny wrote:

I wonder if they all started their life together and are firm friends and have stayed together for decades ?
That's a delightful thought. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm

It seems I missed this topic. I am not knowledgeable about these models but their charm is unbeatable. such a crazy camel. Laughing

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 6:04 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 1:03 am

Here are the individual photos for the unknown maker page of TAW, for whenever, if desired! I had two of some, and for the sake of my own collection pictures I included both in the shot, so if I need to retake them with just one I can.

They are all marked Japan or Made in Japan. Some of them have a little "clover" or what looks like crosshairs symbols, too. I don't know if any of that is important to include.

Tiger - Ando Togoro

Lion - Ando Togoro

Bear - Ando Togoro

Hippo - Ando Togoro

Camel - Ando Togoro

Horse with blanket - Ando Togoro

Horse - Ango Togoro

Goat - Ando Togoro

Cow - Ando Togoro

Horse - Sekiguchi Japan

Goat with bell - Sekiguchi Japan

Cow - Sekiguchi Japan

Last edited by Jill on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 2:14 am

Hi Jill

Just noticed this comment:

"They are all marked Japan or Made in Japan. Some of them have a little "clover" or what looks like crosshairs symbols, too. I don't know if any of that is important to include."

Please take pictures of any symbol. I have a couple of books which include symbols from Japanese companies that produced toy cars from tinplate and they also made accessories from celluloid. May help to ID the manufacturer and worth a try.

If your clover leaf has five sides and a 'Y' in the centre then they could be made by Yonezawa.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 2:26 am

Thanks, Chris! That would be amazing. Here's the two my models have:

The three leaf clover

And the "crosshairs" circle with a cross in it
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am

Ando Togoro is a plus symbol inside of a circle
Sekiguchi Japan is a 3 leaf clover

Please check yourself in this Celluloid Dolls page.

Let me know if you think they match and obviously it is wonderful also to have Chris opinion on it.

PostSubject: Re: Found at an antique store, identification?    Found at an antique store, identification?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Found at an antique store, identification?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next