Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]

Go down 
+5
pipsxlch
Roger
George
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] Empty
PostSubject: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 10:46 pm

I thought this might be appreciated here, where we have so many hyena lovers. Very Happy I wouldn't consider this fully complete, if I were doing it for, say, publication or as a commission . . . but I am just doing it for fun, so I am calling it finished, because my eyes and fingers hurt. drunken

Historically, I'm a canvas painter, but that's enormously expensive, time consuming, and space dependent. My attention span and my tiny living space and my budget all mean I have transferred almost entirely to digital painting. You can't beat the clean up or the storage! Or the eraser tool!  

This specific painting was done as a companion to a novel I'm working on (very, very slowly). It's a fantasy piece, as is likely easy to guess considering this hyena is a main speaking character. I know it looks like here that I have just made another "evil" hyena, but don't worry hyena fans, I haven't! I just wanted to paint an eerie image of her.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Jill on Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:20 pm

Holy moly, that is truly a work of art! So much detail, how many hours would you say it took? And writing too! Sounds like you have an excellent artistic mind set. Wink

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:24 pm

Wow, absolutely fantastic rendering of texture and lighting there (love the eye shine!), not just realism but really dynamic composition, I give you a round of applause! You can really tell you've come to digital from an already-skilled painter point of view, this would easily pass for an oil painting in the way you've handled the colour application.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Thanks so much guys! I don't usually have the energy for a piece this detailed, it's nice to have something a little bit more polished. :) I wish some of the background colors had held up against compression, but I always re-learn the hard way about dark paintings and PNG.

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
how many hours would you say it took?
Probably 4? 6? I work very sporadically, jumping between YouTube and what not, and just whenever I have the brain space for it, so who knows, really. More than 2, less than 8. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 11:49 pm

Professional is not a good word when we talk about Art but what you did is of a superior artistic level. I am truly impressed! cheers

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 3:42 am

Wow, that is amazing! The little saliva drip... Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 4:27 am

Thank you both so much! :)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 11:18 am

This is absolutely amazing! Shocked cheers
The details, the realism, the expression in his face, all beautifully captured with so much meticulous texture and and stunning tones! Applause cheers
It is wonderful to see another talent that you have- I would love to see any more that you do! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Thank you, Bonnie! Very Happy I hope to do some more characters from the book (in hopes of inspiring myself to finish it, haha), so if they turn out, I'll certainly share them here.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 8:54 pm

I made another to go with the first, another character from the same story. This one was "easier" in some ways because it was a less complicated image, but because of that, it was also more difficult to create the sense of drama I wanted. But anyway, a little opossum!

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 pm

This is stunning once again, you have managed to create the sense of drama perfectly which is definitely an achievement for an opossum which is generally seen as a cute animal! You are so talented, what an amazing work of art! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Really stunning! Firstly, wonderful species choice. Those eyes are so realistic and the texture/proportions are spot on! This is some amazing digital art skill, I am sure your physical material work is superb as well!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 4:31 am

I see lots of possums, and it looks wonderful- and somehow wise (something I never associated with real possums). cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 8:26 am

This is amazing !!!! Shocked cheers

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am

I love it! Great use of light and I like your composition choices a lot too! Very Happy
The possum has the cutest nose ever Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 am

Thank you all so much!! :)
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 1:42 am

I was digging around in the files from my old computer and found the content from a digital adoptable I used to run. If you're unfamiliar with what that could possibly mean, it's just templated art recolored and distributed to collectors - not unlike collecting animal figures, just strictly digital. Adoptables have a wide range of how interactive they are, and mine was VERY interactive. You could "breed" and "compete" with your digital creatures, there were accessories you could apply, and I created an entire (fake) color genetic system for every species. There were six species, three that exist in real life and three fantasy species, and within each species there were multiple breeds. It was a GIANT part of my life for many years, ha! I even had a staff! I was the artist, but they ran events, built the interactive website, organized the numbers, and simply helped me distribute and keep track of things. It was pretty fun, but I eventually got too overwhelmed and the person who ran our website and image host had to step down, which meant the adoptable could no longer function. Plus I no longer has Photoshop, and Clip Studio doesn't work quite as well for my existing temples. (Also, even my new computer lags HORRIBLY when I try to open these giant folders, ha!) But looking back at the art was great fun, I thought maybe I'd share some of it here, since it IS animals - domestic and fantasy animals, anyway.

This is one of the horse breeds. All the breeds were invented, but I did pull heavily from existing breeds in many cases. There was a baby, an adult female, and an adult male for every breed. Plus there was the option to create mixed-breed linearts, so "mutts" that resulted in a completely new set of drawings. Looking back on this, I am shocked I managed to run it as long as I did, this was so much work. Laughing

This was easily one of the most popular lineart sets, because it's very dramatic and flashy! Everyone loves long manes and tails and thick feathers! Me included, which is why I drew them, haha. (Two of the male, because his lineart set is one of my favorites and it's hard to see the details in some colors!)

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:02 am

This breed is an older set of lines, and therefore has significantly more anatomy problems (the foal is quite lumpy). I got better at drawing horses as time went on. You can also see that the genetics I invented allowed for unrealistic colors like lavender . . . and then sometimes I just went off the rails and did something like copperhead snake patterns on a horse.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:37 am

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:44 am

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:51 am

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:59 am

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 3:11 am

Alright, I cannot possible show you all of them and expect anyone to look at this many digital horses, so here is just a smattering from the rest that I happen to like:

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 4:42 am

Jill wrote:
Alright, I cannot possible show you all of them and expect anyone to look at this many digital horses, so here is just a smattering from the rest that I happen to like:

aah you are SO talented Jill ! well done !
(and funny you should post all of this now because I have just discovered Gimp. I used to use Photoshop many years ago and then stopped using it. And now I've found a free version ? or something similar)

there are many here that I LOVE! -
and particularly this one with a feather in their tail !! Gorgeous!

what were your canvas paintings of ? do you have them online somewhere ?
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 8:26 am

These are awesome, I cannot begin to imagine the amount of work it must've been to run the entire project but the art stands alone as evidence of all the effort and skill put into the drawing side.
My absolute favourite is the pinto in the first post, but there's so many stunners here, and I really like your line-art style as well as the colouring, the soft shaggy detailed strokes for feathering and manes & tails are so nicely done.

They're so beautiful, and I'd happily look at as many more as you'd like to share Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]   Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22] Empty

Back to top Go down

Animal digital paintings [updated 4.17.22]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next