Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities

Go down 
+10
Caracal
JamesPanda
widukind
landrover
Jill
pipsxlch
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
ikessauro
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ikessauro

ikessauro

Country/State : Brasil

Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities Empty
PostSubject: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Lots of pictures, so hold on!

So I have been hunting down a few old Safari rarities, reptiles and amphibians mostly, but some invertebrates and fish too. I had shown here in the forum previously the Timber Rattlesnake by Safari.

More recently though, found a lot on eBay that had the infamous Rhinoceros Viper and had to bid on it. It was a large lot that also contained what seemed to be a variant of the Timber Rattlersnake, whith a more subtle and realistic paint job, which I had never seen before. I bid mainly because of the Rhino viper and won the lot. What a surprise to find out that the variant rattler seems to be a knockoff. The size and details are the same as in the Safari model, but there is no markings on the underside, like Safari's original piece. The fake one seems to be made of a softer rubber, while the Safari version is a more rigid plastic, way less bendable. As you can see, the fake one has the rattler broken in half, which I intend to restore, as well as the paint job. A weird and unique adittion for sure. Also, check out below other critters I found on my hunt for old Safari pieces.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Safari's
Knockoff??

A few beauty shots of the Rhino viper, she deserves it Very Happy

Also, completed my set of deep sea fish

Manage to score these two as well, the Horned Frog being one that I really wanted to get

I can't remember if I shared this one here

And this glow in the dark coral snake

Of course, the impressive Nile Monitor, now keeping company to my Emerald one

And last, but not least a few Smithsonian Insects
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickkrol
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 5:00 pm

very nice! Chinese knockoffs of Safari figures are becoming increasingly common. The public aquariums in both Chicago and here in Utah sell them, unfortunately.

With regards to the Smithsonian Insects, I am still missing the adult monarch. let me know if you see it :) Thanks
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm

First off, HUGE congrats on these amazing rarities! The rhino viper especially. Secondly, very curious copied snake. I have noticed an increase in knock offs of all sorts. A very nice rattler anyway. Applause cheers

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 7:00 pm

Those are fantastic additions. Can't you pretend your monitor is a dinosaur and review it on your Youtube channel? It would be fantastic to see you handling such a large figure.
Yes, let me focus on your monitor because the Gila monster you already presented before.
This version you're presenting remains a mistery to many of us. It is on TAW identified as a Desert monitor, even if we miss the picture and I hope you allow us again to use yours. Though, I believe we assumed it was a Nile monitor because Safari sold initially the Emerald green monitor as a Nile monitor and the old version of this mould ended Known as the erronious initial denomination of the 2nd version. Confuse? Yes, we discussed this figure before on forum and it was also discussed on ATF and Andre is right, the mould is not of a Nile neither an emerald green. My opinion is also that the original version tries to represent a juvenile common water monitor (Varanus salvator). Unfortunately the older picture of this monitor I know is from a 2006 catalogue and it was already the 2nd version but identified as a Nile monitor. It would be fantastic to know how Safari marketed this particular model, maybe just monitor since it is what is marked on it.

ikessauro

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Roger wrote:
Those are fantastic additions. Can't you pretend your monitor is a dinosaur and review it on your Youtube channel? It would be fantastic to see you handling such a large figure.
Yes, let me focus on your monitor because the Gila monster you already presented before.
This version you're presenting remains a mistery to many of us. It is on TAW identified as a Desert monitor, even if we miss the picture and I hope you allow us again to use yours. Though, I believe we assumed it was a Nile monitor because Safari sold initially the Emerald green monitor as a Nile monitor and the old version of this mould ended Known as the erronious initial denomination of the 2nd version. Confuse? Yes, we discussed this figure before on forum and it was also discussed on ATF and Andre is right, the mould is not of a Nile neither an emerald green. My opinion is also that the original version tries to represent a juvenile common water monitor (Varanus salvator). Unfortunately the older picture of this monitor I know is from a 2006 catalogue and it was already the 2nd version but identified as a Nile monitor. It would be fantastic to know how Safari marketed this particular model, maybe just monitor since it is what is marked on it.

I can review it for sure, but I assure you guys know more about it than me, it seems. Mine was bought used in a toy lot, did not have the original tag. I have been hunting down old safari catalogs to find more about these obscure models, but have not had any luck finding catalogs between 1995 and 2005 specially. I'll see what I can find out about the model, do some research on monitor lizards and if I find any interesting info, I will review both versions of it in my channel.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 4:19 am

Congratulations on the superb finds! cheers
They are all lovely!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 4:25 am

These are all really, really cool! And so big! I love love the monitor and the gila monster. Congrats on finding some hard-to-find treasures!
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 4:36 am

Very nice animals, especially the deep fishes.

congrats. cheers cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 1:54 pm

So unbelievable figures. Toooooooo sad that they are sooooooooooooooo huge

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 10, 2021 8:00 pm

widukind wrote:

Despite the size and since I am convinced it is a Philippine water monitor, formerly classified as a subspecies of the Asian water monitor, I suspect you don't have this species in your collection yet.
Here a picture of the real animal from Reptile Database project.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Roger wrote:
widukind wrote:

Despite the size and since I am convinced it is a Philippine water monitor, formerly classified as a subspecies of the Asian water monitor, I suspect you don't have this species in your collection yet.
Here a picture of the real animal from Reptile Database project.

You are right with the specie in my zoo. But the size is to much for my shelves Wink

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

JamesPanda

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 7:36 am

Love the deep sea collection and the monitor is stunning.. Love monitors and mainly because the Bengal Monitor species is seen commonly in my local region where I live, and they even come visit me inside my home sometimes as do other reptiles 😁. Brilliant find with all the figures. The Monitor is a treasure island catch 👍🏾

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 am

JamesPanda wrote:
Love the deep sea collection and the monitor is stunning.. Love monitors and mainly because the Bengal Monitor species is seen commonly in my local region where I live, and they even come visit me inside my home sometimes as do other reptiles 😁.  Brilliant find with all the figures. The Monitor is a treasure island catch 👍🏾

James, having a Bengal monitor as a visitor must be a tremendous experience. Even if it is relatively common for you, it is absolutely fascinating to most of us. Where I live now, the only reptile I remember entering the house I live was a Moorish gecko, a 14 cm long creature. Laughing If it was a 1 metter or 1,5 metters monitor lizard, I would become delirious.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Ha ha it's the same here! :)

Wonderful 1/1 models ikessauro!! cheers cheers drunken

Living in Brasil, you maybe could shot them in the "Wild"! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Laughing Here is my picture of the gecko that visited my house.
Do you think our friend James will be impressed? Laughing

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Brilliant photos of your visitors! I agree, a monitor coming indoors sounds fantastic to those of us who don't have them as native neighbours. All we get coming inside my home are spiders, and on one memorable occasion, a jackdaw Laughing

stargatedalek

stargatedalek

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 8:22 pm

Even a bootleg of that rattlesnake is incredibly impressive. I've been scouring the internet for one ever since you showed off that first one some time ago.

ikessauro

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 6:54 pm

A new information has come up and I'm not sure what to make of this. I was looking for a few items I still don't have when I found this lot on eBay.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It contains the same "knock off" Rattlesnake I show here. The funny thing is, it does have the Safari Ltd markings on the bottom! So mine could end up being a original piece after all! But why it is not marked is still a mystery to me.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 pm

The large snake is marvellous. Applause

pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 12:07 am

Maybe the knockoff is from the beginning of the company and they weren't stamping them, or for some reason a mold missed getting the proper stamp?

I have a Safari hypacrosaurus, same mold as the Carnegie one, but different paintjob (it's that heavy enamel seeming paint they used in the early 90s), no Carnegie and if I remember right no year, though it does have Safari- and stamp is rotated on the figure compared to the Carnegie one. So it seems they do have inconsistencies in stamping.

I agree with Fernando, marvelous snakes!
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyTue Mar 22, 2022 11:59 pm

I'm pretty sure the "knockoff" is a legit Safari.  I have seen that paintjob before.... I think it may have been the first Rattlesnake version they released.  I could be wrong, but I could swear there are three different versions of that figure, with one being a Timber Rattlesnake, one being "The Rattler," and one being a Diamondback.

Also, this may have been one of the figures produced by AAA and distributed by Safari, which was common in the 90's. Much like the coiled cobra in basket, which I'm pretty sure what actually produced by AAA. Those lacked the Safari stamp entirely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
ikessauro

ikessauro

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 3:30 am

sphyrna18 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the "knockoff" is a legit Safari.  I have seen that paintjob before.... I think it may have been the first Rattlesnake version they released.  I could be wrong, but I could swear there are three different versions of that figure, with one being a Timber Rattlesnake, one being "The Rattler," and one being a Diamondback.

Also, this may have been one of the figures produced by AAA and distributed by Safari, which was common in the 90's.  Much like the coiled cobra in basket, which I'm pretty sure what actually produced by AAA.  Those lacked the Safari stamp entirely.  

You might be right. Safari had 3 versions of the rattler, the Diamondback, the timber rattler and the rock banded rattlesnake. Here is a catalog shot of them. I am still hunting down the original diamondback and rock banded ones. Also, still hunting down the red tail boa too.

Now, that new variant I have seems like the timber rattler in color, but with a more realistic opaque finish. I think it must be a variant indeed.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 8:27 am

ikessauro wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]...

affraid cheers I love you cheers

An impossible dream for somebody living in Denmark, where ANY Safari model is quite rare Crying or Very sad

I suppose the market is too small for Safari to have done any serious sales attempts, and Schleich sits on the perception of toy quality like a bantam brood hen Laughing

ikessauro

ikessauro

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 6:36 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
ikessauro wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]...

affraid cheers I love you cheers

An impossible dream for somebody living in Denmark, where ANY Safari model is quite rare Crying or Very sad

I suppose the market is too small for Safari to have done any serious sales attempts, and Schleich sits on the perception of toy quality like a bantam brood hen Laughing

Well, I live in Brazil, so, not much better than you in this regard. Very Happy One must be willing to buy from the US to get these :/.
Back to top Go down
stargatedalek

stargatedalek

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 6:41 pm

Even in Canada, finding these in the wild appears to be impossible. US Ebay is the only option, and even then I have yet to get lucky and spot any.

PostSubject: Re: Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities   Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities Empty

Back to top Go down

Mysterious Safari Knockoff Rattlesnake and other rarities
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next