Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]

Go down 
+10
Advicot
landrover
Saarlooswolfhound
Joliezac
Megaptera
Roger
George
Bonnie
bmathison1972
spacelab
14 posters
AuthorMessage
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] Empty
PostSubject: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 1:05 pm

My cat thought the blue background I was using was messing with her territory (the whole house) so she destroyed it in 3 seconds. I used the red one, but the result is weird because some pink shadows are appearing in the white parts of the model that are not really there. So don't pay much attention to those..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Compared with the Schleich Poitou Donkey, they are about the same size. Poitou is a tiny bit taller, which is just fine. I was expecting much worse result considering Schleich models are usually in a smaller scale.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 pm

I am planning on getting this one, too, which will replace my current donkey which happens to be CollectA's older version.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Another beautiful CollectA model, what a lovely donkey with a lovely face! Very Happy She has a lot of texture too which really captures that slight fluffiness they can have! Very Happy
Another fantastic walkaround, thank you! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 2:58 pm

I'm actually not as keen on this one as I thought I'd be, knowing CollectA's nice horses and zebras I was expecting great things.
Seen totally side-on, as in the final photo, the head looks very small and lacking depth and strength through the jaw (donkeys have a much more wedge-like jowly face, here's a good clear profile photo example).
The feet also look too big, especially the off hind, which comes with a thicker leg almost as if to allow for it! Laughing
The angled pictures counteract those flaws fairly well, though, it's a sculpt which can be flattered by careful photography.
I don't have a CollectA donkey yet (only the wild ass), and I do like this one more than the previous one so I think I'll get it, but knowing how lively and expressive their horse sculpts are, this feels a bit of a missed opportunity for a really lovely donkey with a nice face. They're one of those animals which have an in-built cuteness when sculpted well - the Mojo and Magpie ones are adorable - but this one doesn't have the right cute chunky head shape or enough expression to strike that 'aww, nice donkey!' note with me.
Maybe I'm being too critical cos I've known and looked after friendly and fun real life donkeys and prefer models which look like my old friends? Perhaps more people see them as placid, serious, working animals and don't want to see a happy face! Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Fantastic walk around and this model is now Wikified. Wink
I think your cat thought you were giving more atention to the blue background during this days than to him so he decided to put an end to it. Also, it was the background you used to photograph dogs and he may not like the idea. cat
At a marketologic point of view, that's the 3rd wave donkey, the one that supposedly contributes to increase the average quality of CollectA's range. I don't have any doubts this model is superior to its predecessor and there are a lot of points I appreciate on it, namely those ears. It is interesting to read @George's appreciations, these reviews are to discuss the models and not only to congratulate the new owner. I will choose between this model and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] even if I have no doubts which foal I will get once Mojö's is unbeatable.
About foals, it is strange that CollectA hasn't replaced them, they have an unforgivable mistake with their hooves, even more strange is that the first wave donkey is still available and it was not directly replaced as it happened with the Beagle or the longhorn bull.
OK, which is the 2nd wave donkey then? It is the African wild ass, I am not surprised if the project was originally devoted to represent a domesticated one but as musual in their 2nd wave, many models moved to more obscure projects, as it happened with the Mountain Nyala, originally projected as a greater kudu or the Baird's tapir originally projected as a Malayan tapir.
I am confident a new foal will be released soon and the old family retired. I am also convinced this model will not have a brown version as it happened with the first rendition.

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 3:56 pm

This one also looks incredible. It's on my wishlist now. cheers
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Won’t be getting this figure but very cute nonetheless! Very fluffy looking, thanks for the walkaround :)
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Very cute model, and a great walkaround!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 5:17 pm

George wrote:
this feels a bit of a missed opportunity for a really lovely donkey with a nice face. They're one of those animals which have an in-built cuteness when sculpted well - the Mojo and Magpie ones are adorable - but this one doesn't have the right cute chunky head shape or enough expression to strike that 'aww, nice donkey!' note with me.
Maybe I'm being too critical cos I've known and looked after friendly and fun real life donkeys and prefer models which look like my old friends? Perhaps more people see them as placid, serious, working animals and don't want to see a happy face! Laughing

Sincerely, I know nothing about equids anatomy and I read with great interest your thoughts. I think your last sentence explains the previous though.
The first thing I appreciated on this model was exactly what you did not like about it. I love the way that this one looks bored/tired/goofy.. and his big belly... Exactly like the real donkeys I'm used to. My wife comes from Santorini and I'm there almost every summer, so I'm a bit bored with the dozens of cute and beautiful happy-faced replicas they sell at gift-shops. So, as far as expression and cuteness is the matter, this one is much much closer to the real ones I see there. It's a "I can be really cute, but I'm too tired now and I don't know what I'm doing here" expression that makes me say "oh, a donkey." Without exclamation mark if you know what I mean.
The feet thing has to be a lens issue, they are not big in real nor different. I can see what you are writing in most of my photos, but it's a camera illusion. The same happens with the poitou if you look again. Wink

Roger wrote:

I think your cat thought you were giving more atention to the blue background during this days than to him so he decided to put an end to it. Also, it was the background you used to photograph dogs and he may not like the idea. cat

Haha, you are funny Rogerio. Also you have a good point to excuse my cat (that is actually a "she"). But the cruel reality is that I complimentary call her a cat. She is actually a black beast. And she has great fun making me mad. Twisted Evil

Thank you all!

Last edited by spacelab on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 8:23 pm

spacelab wrote:
George wrote:
this feels a bit of a missed opportunity for a really lovely donkey with a nice face. They're one of those animals which have an in-built cuteness when sculpted well - the Mojo and Magpie ones are adorable - but this one doesn't have the right cute chunky head shape or enough expression to strike that 'aww, nice donkey!' note with me.

Sincerely, I know nothing about equids anatomy and I read with great interest your thoughts. I think your last sentence explains the previous though.
The first thing I appreciated on this model was exactly what you did not like about it. I love the way that this one looks bored/tired/goofy.. and his big belly... Exactly like the real donkeys I'm used to. My wife comes from Santorini and I'm there almost every summer, so I'm a bit bored with the dozens of cute and beautiful happy-faced replicas they sell at gift-shops. So, as far as expression and cuteness is the matter, this one is much much closer to the real ones I see there. It's a "I can be really cute, but I'm too tired now and I don't know what I'm doing here" expression that makes me say "oh, a donkey." Without exclamation mark if you know what I mean.
The feet thing has to be a lens issue, they are not big in real nor different. I can see what you are writing in most of my photos, but it's a camera illusion. The same happens with the poitou if you look again. Wink

Roger wrote:

Haha, you are funny Rogerio. Also you have a good point to excuse my cat (that is actually a "she"). But the cruel reality is that I complimentary call her a cat. She is actually a black beast. And she has great fun making me mad. Twisted Evil

Thank you all!

Can your wife identify a certain species? In my opinion it could be a Contenin donkey, which is a french breed.
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Well, my wife no way. But I did not mean that the Collecta model is a Santorinian breed, I was talking about Donkeys expressions mostly.
Your choice is a good candidate, but I guess we can find more.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 9:06 pm

Well, the closest I can go for a breed is the Donkey of Amiata.
Always grey coated with a scapular cross  what are relatively common features in many breeds, the most interesting is the black markings on inner legs, very similar to the CollectA model. All other features are present, the same kind of tail, the white around the eyes.
Oh, and these donkeys are described as being neurotic. Laughing

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 11:32 pm

Lovely figure, of course.

Very nice photos. congratulations. cheers cheers

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 4:03 pm

Hmm, I am not as fond as I was with its promo photo, so I think I may give this one a miss as 7 donkeys is enough for my wishlist Very Happy

Great photos, Kostas!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 5:12 pm

Advicot wrote:
Hmm, I am not as fond as I was with its promo photo, so I think I may give this one a miss as 7 donkeys is enough for my wishlist Very Happy

Great photos, Kostas!

I agree it didn't grab me as much as the promo pic, but as spacelab suggested, that could be an affect of the background color. Still, it's better than CollectA's 2007 version, which is the one I currently have, so I will be getting it regardless.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 5:14 pm

spacelab wrote:
Well, my wife no way. But I did not mean that the Collecta model is a Santorinian breed, I was talking about Donkeys expressions mostly.
Your choice is a good candidate, but I guess we can find more.

or why not a Provence?
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Roger wrote:
Always grey coated with a scapular cross  what are relatively common features in many breeds, the most interesting is the black markings on inner legs, very similar to the CollectA model. All other features are present, the same kind of tail, the white around the eyes.

Good idea, Roger Applause
This breed fits even better than the Contentin.

@Blaine: Provence donkeys have a stronger neck, their fur is more shiny and they have stripes on their legs.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 am

[quote="Megaptera"]
Roger wrote:

Good idea, Roger Applause
This breed fits even better than the Contentin.

Thanks Michael, Cotentin could be a good option but these donkeys are quite pale, even the hairy parts and hooves are pale so I thought CollectA wouldn't ignore it if the figure was based in that breed. However, this donkey doesn't show any particular feature that makes us to be sure of what breed it is, I just think it is fun to find a breed for it. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 2:11 pm

A cute donkey figure

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saien

Saien

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 8:15 pm

Wonderful model again cheers Applause

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 8:35 pm

Congratulations with your new donkey Very Happy Applause I like her a lot and will of course purchase her Very Happy cheers

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 2:14 pm

It could also be a Romagnolo donkey:

Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 11:18 am

How excellently and clearly your walkaround photos display! Thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]   Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021] Empty

Back to top Go down

Donkey walkaround - CollectA 88934 [2021]
Page 1 of 1