Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Danish bootleg cartel ??!

Go down 
+6
Kikimalou
Roger
Burgerenby
rogerpgvg
jarda
RtasVadumee
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

A Danish bootleg cartel ??! Empty
PostSubject: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I create this topic to share a little discovery I already made a few years ago and that a recent visit to my favourite zoo reminded me.

That zoo is Branféré, in Britanny, a wonderful and enchanting place where a significant part of the residents are free to wander and whose main focus is the aesthetism of enclosures and the well-being of animals. I may tell you a bit more about it in a "Rtas' zoo pics" update soon but this is not the topic of that current thread.

Indeed, there is a fly in the ointment. The gift shop of that zoo, apart from selling the usual Papo, is offering a few odd figures from an unknown brand that is apparently unknown to the toy nerds we are, yet more than familiar visually...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You all have recognized the mould of the Safari hyacinth macaw, yet the paintjob is a bit darker and the brand indicated on the tag is not Safari but "World Wonders" or "Nature Planet" as the inside of the booklet shall reveal scratch I have to mention that the first figure from this "company" that I bought, in the same exact zoo, was NOT a Safari-looking figure but the exact copy of the sitting hippo calf from Schleich that you can see on that picture :

So this cannot be a European branch of Safari, since they are using the moulds of several dinstinct brands.

The inside of the little booklet, as I said, actually provides us with a trail to follow to solve this mystery...

I visited this Danish website and indeed found the models I own, as well as several ugly copies of other well-known moulds...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Schleich, Safari, CollectA... it seems that no brand was spared ! And considering the poor quality of the paintjob, I cannot believe that this is an official, "respectable" brand : they just look like garbage bootlegs !

My hyacinth macaw is actually one of the "least worst" of the bunch and I'm happy with it as it's a model from Safari that I like but wouldn't have bothered to order online. The baby hippo was a similar case.

Yet, if they are indeed bootlegs, I don't understand how a serious zoo as Branféré could offer them shamelessly to its visitors. I asked the shopkeepers but they told me that they were not better informed than me, and showed a genuine interest to the "real" Safari figures that I showed them on their computer.

So if anyone here has an explanation to give, you're welcome !

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am

Welcome to the planet Earth in 2021!  Laughing  
In my country (Czech Republic) you can find the same figures in most of the ZOOs in souvenir shops as well. I see no reason to get upset, they are usually cheaper and their quality (especially in terms of paint) is improved quickly. For most buyers (parents of children) it's a pleasant situation, minority of buyers with higher demands (usually collectors of branded figures) can choose figures from established "western" companies from the next shelf in the same shop (but clearly more expensive). The situation is similar on sales portals (e.g. eBay, AliExpress, Taobao), I think the strong influence of manufacturers especially from China is cleary visible here. In my opinion, the whole thing has to do with the growing influence of the East in the world economy and the quickly fading West, where is a different perception of the so-called "copyright" that was supposed to ensure for the former superpowers their permanent technological superiority. But that's more of a political topic and STS is not a political forum...
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 am

I am always intrigued by knock-offs. They clearly take away business from the company that originally designed the figures, so if I were such a company, then I'd sue either the company that produces the knock-offs of the shop that sells them. I understand that it may not be so easy to sue companies in China who sell directly to customers, but in this case, the seller is clearly based in Denmark and they even publicise their web address. This makes me think that there is some other reason they can't sue them. Perhaps the knock-off company has a license or perhaps the copyright isn't worth the paper, uh, animal it is written on? I wish we had someone working in the industry here who could enlighten us.

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 8:35 pm

Knockoffs are a double edged sword to me, on one side it is an option for parents and children to access something for a lower price, I also sometimes buy knockoffs for customs and kitbashing, what bothers me however is that the artists who sculpted the original models don't get compensated for such bootlegs, it is plagiarism without consent.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 11:50 pm

They look to me all these more recent Nayab copies of major brand models. We can find the same through several other Chinese toy manufacturers. Considering the goal of this Danish company, I believe they just use figures of a lower price.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 7:47 pm

It's very strange that Schleich threatens to sue people who show web links to photos of future releases, but at the same time, Schleich knock-off figures are commonplace. If Schleich is worried even about links to photos, then I can't imagine that they don't care about knock-offs, but clearly they are completely unsuccessful in suing knock-off companies.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 7:49 am

jarda wrote:
Welcome to the planet Earth in 2021!  Laughing  
In my country (Czech Republic) you can find the same figures in most of the ZOOs in souvenir shops as well. I see no reason to get upset, they are usually cheaper and their quality (especially in terms of paint) is improved quickly. For most buyers (parents of children) it's a pleasant situation, minority of buyers with higher demands (usually collectors of branded figures) can choose figures from established "western" companies from the next shelf in the same shop (but clearly more expensive). The situation is similar on sales portals (e.g. eBay, AliExpress, Taobao), I think the strong influence of manufacturers especially from China is cleary visible here. In my opinion, the whole thing has to do with the growing influence of the East in the world economy and the quickly fading West, where is a different perception of the so-called "copyright" that was supposed to ensure for the former superpowers their permanent technological superiority. But that's more of a political topic and STS is not a political forum...

I can't agree with you Jarda, the whole thing has nothing to do with the growing influence of the East in the world economy and the quickly fading West. The bootleg and knock-off isn't an "Eastern" invention it is as old as the "Western" economy.
It's true for clothes, watches, cheese, wine, colas, everything... and it is true for toys since the beginning. Hausser Elastolin, Pfeiffer were copied by several European companies from Italy to Sweden, the same for Lineol. Clairet was copied by Marx and some Spanish companies. Marx was copied by MPC, another American company. Britains was copied by so many companies based in Singapore and Hong-Kong, wich belong then to the British empire. For some models we still don't know if Blancherie frères copied some Britains or the opposite. Argentine produced Britains hollowcast lead copies from Britains ltd. A funny thing is to look at Hollowcast lead models from France and UK, who copied who ?. Gulliver from Brasil used Spanish and French companies molds to produce his own line. These knocks-off were mainly produced for the Western market by Western companies. It is usual business.
We can see a lot of bootlegs on the web nowadays coming from the same factories that produced the original "copyrighted" items. It doesn't mean we can say it is an "Eastern practice", in this case it is a Swedish one... Nothing new indeed.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am

Burgerenby wrote:
Knockoffs are a double edged sword to me, on one side it is an option for parents and children to access something for a lower price, I also sometimes buy knockoffs for customs and kitbashing, what bothers me however is that the artists who sculpted the original models don't get compensated for such bootlegs, it is plagiarism without consent.

This. That's why I wouldn't buy any bootleg toy. Copyright protects companies, yes, but also in a way, designers working for those companies. Sadly, it's not (always) possible to stop knock-offs producers. Not even in the resin models hobby world Rolling Eyes

From my observations, I can tell that in the model horse hobby collectors generally don't support knock-offs. Perhaps the reason is that they know most sculptors by name, and thanks to social media, people are more aware of the amount of work behind each design.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 6:40 pm

I agree, it's kind of a moral decision whether to get them or not, especially when it's a brand you like and would rather support. I happened to see some knock-off CollectA horses (plain plastic, bad moulding seams, head and neck attached with a join) on Ebay and it was so frustrating cos I could've got them to customise about eight fake models for the price of one genuine CollectA to paint. But I didn't want to give money to someone making knock-offs, cos then their cheating would reward them with profit, so I didn't get the horses.

jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Kiki, I am sure you have way better grasp of historical figure manufacturers than me and you're also absolutely right about the historically "strong inspiration" of some manufacturers by others (e.g. Britains vs. Hong Kong). However, my point is that in the past it was virtually impossible to buy figures made of the same materials, produced in perhaps the exact same factories offered in the same countries, in the same stores (or chains) at the same time.

For example, in Czechoslovakia, where I grew up, you could buy masse animal figures from Durolin, but not the original Lineol. It was the same with plastic figures from Britains, but you could get ones from Hong Kong or Macau very inspired by Britains...

That's the fundamental difference from the examples you mentioned.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 8:14 pm

I believe in the past, in the present and in the future many brands will produce in China or Hongkong. Because it is cheaper. And than, after years , it could be that the copyright is over.

For example the same style for Elastolin, Azur, Prior and Hongkong figures in the past. And by the way, the Elastolin "Birds of the world" was not really the style of Elastolin. And the better figures do not exist as knockoff.

Another example. Schleich had figures made in China and also made in Portugal. Years later we can see some models by M&B.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 9:36 pm

HOLY, HOPPING MACREL affraid

I know Anne Dorthe Hjort very well from about 45 years ago Shocked Shocked
We worked for the same ( American) compagny, and she was ( is ? ) a most fantastic girl : Beautyful fun, a good friend, and very, very intelligent !!!
I just can not believe she has gone into bootlegging Shocked

She worked for Wild Republic for quite a lot of years....isn't that WR plushies ?
So she may well import the plastic models from some chinese compagny scratch

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think your friend may just not be aware that those models are bootlegs at all? Safari Ltd is not that well known in Europe so it wasn't obvious.

widukind wrote:

Another example. Schleich had figures made in China and also made in Portugal. Years later we can see some models by M&B.

From what I have heard M&B owned the copyright for those models to begin with and Schleich bought it for a number of years. After that time passed M&B was free to use the molds again. I think this story was explained on this forum before? It's a different situation than bootleg products made without agreement.

Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 am

Ana wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think your friend may just not be aware that those models are bootlegs at all? Safari Ltd is not that well known in Europe so it wasn't obvious.

widukind wrote:

From what I have heard M&B owned the copyright for those models to begin with and Schleich bought it for a number of years. After that time passed M&B was free to use the molds again. I think this story was explained on this forum before? It's a different situation than bootleg products made without agreement.

There are also a significant number of Schleich bootlegs on this website, and even a few CollectA.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Ana wrote:

widukind wrote:

I know what you mean. But are you sure there is always no agreement? Another example Playvisions-Yujin-Wing Mau. I will not defend bootlegs. But why we always think that there are only agreements with european brands. Why it not could be possible also for chinese manufactures? I know there are many bootlegs too, but sometimes that are not the best figures for the bootlegs. So do you know a bootleg of a figure that you created?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 am

Why do I need to give my point about Bootlegs What a Face , Knocks-off Evil or Very Mad and counterfeit affraid ? Silly macaque can't resists Laughing

Again, these practices are as old as the business and don't just concern the toy world.

My wife worked about ten years ago for a brand of women's underwears. Here is how her boss prepared the “new collection”:
First go shopping in stores and buy the products of the other brands.
Then go back to the office and assemble some sheets of cardboard, scissors and glue.
Then cut the previously purchased underwears in half. Remove material there, add frills here.
Glue the front and back sides thus obtained onto the cardboard sheets. Specify the desired dimensions and materials and ship everything to China.
Discuss the price with the manufacturer and hope that the specified dimensions are respected.
Check the merchandise when it finally arrives and then resell it all in stores like "New collection" ...
Is it immoral ? Everyone will judge… is it illegal ? Of course not, this is business...

Then ? Does this Danish company sells knocks-off, counterfeits or bootlegs ? Is there a difference ?

A counterfeit or a bootleg is not quite the same as a knock-off.

If I steal stocks from Schleich and sell them on my own, it is simply theft. It's illegal.

If I make or have fake Schleich (or Rollex or Nike…) made with the Schleich logo, it is illegal and the seller like me risks big profits and big trouble.

If I make or have unreleased models made with the Schleich logo, that's illegal and both the seller and myself are in serious trouble.

If I make or have copies of Schleich (or a copy of a Van Gogh) made, with a slightly different paint, a slightly different material or a slightly different pose with a different logo, for example Animal Planet (or Kikimalou for the copy of Van Gogh clown ) it is not necessarily illegal.

Anyone can try to make and sell sparkling wine, both bad or sublime. On the other hand, you have to meet a certain number of criteria to call it Champagne and you have to be the owner of the "Veuve Cliquot" House to call it "Veuve Cliquot".

This Danish company is selling Knocks-offs and I'am absolutely not sure it's illegal.

The copyright must certainly relate to the brand but not necessarily to the model.

Is it dangerous for “honorable companies” or not?

For counterfeits and bootlegs this is a problem because it can of course cost money but above all it can affect the reputation of the brand, for example fake Lacoste (with a beautiful crocodile logo  Crocodile ) cut with a billhook in a lower quality fabric ...

For the knocks-off, I think it's different. The families who buy "well established trademarks" for their children are not the same as those who buy "cheaper" toys. Automatic coffee machines and local cafés are no threat to Starbucks despite the price difference. It's the same with toys.

What killed the majors of the twentieth century ? It wasn't the multiple knocks-off, it was the arrival of video games, playmobils and action figures as well as a certain disinterest in small soldiers and "war related" toys. it was also a blow to knock-off makers.

I think the advent of these multiple knocks-offs isnt a bad news for us and for traditional brands: It shows that this market is alive and well and that people are interested in it!

Cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Kikimalou: For the knocks-off, I think it's different. The families who buy "well established trademarks" for their children are not the same as those who buy "cheaper" toys. Automatic coffee machines and local cafés are no threat to Starbucks despite the price difference. It's the same with toys.

Do you think? I agree about Starbucks and coffee machines (and everything else you say), but not sure about the animal toys. I'd think if a child wants an animal toy and there are no knock-offs, they would choose an established brand, because there is no choice. But if knock-offs exist as well, then they may choose a knock-off because they are cheaper (and they'd be able to get more toys).

Recently, I bought a knock-off shark Embarassed because the original branded one was too expensive. Expensive because it is no longer produced and only available second-hand, but still, the price decided.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 11:10 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Why do I need to give my point about Bootlegs What a Face , Knocks-off Evil or Very Mad and counterfeit affraid ? Silly macaque can't resists Laughing

Again, these practices are as old as the business and don't just concern the toy world.

My wife worked about ten years ago for a brand of women's underwears. Here is how her boss prepared the “new collection”:
First go shopping in stores and buy the products of the other brands.
Then go back to the office and assemble some sheets of cardboard, scissors and glue.
Then cut the previously purchased underwears in half. Remove material there, add frills here.
Glue the front and back sides thus obtained onto the cardboard sheets. Specify the desired dimensions and materials and ship everything to China.
Discuss the price with the manufacturer and hope that the specified dimensions are respected.
Check the merchandise when it finally arrives and then resell it all in stores like "New collection" ...
Is it immoral ? Everyone will judge… is it illegal ? Of course not, this is business...

Then ? Does this Danish company sells knocks-off, counterfeits or bootlegs ? Is there a difference ?

A counterfeit or a bootleg is not quite the same as a knock-off.

If I steal stocks from Schleich and sell them on my own, it is simply theft. It's illegal.

If I make or have fake Schleich (or Rollex or Nike…) made with the Schleich logo, it is illegal and the seller like me risks big profits and big trouble.

If I make or have unreleased models made with the Schleich logo, that's illegal and both the seller and myself are in serious trouble.

If I make or have copies of Schleich (or a copy of a Van Gogh) made, with a slightly different paint, a slightly different material or a slightly different pose with a different logo, for example Animal Planet (or Kikimalou for the copy of Van Gogh clown ) it is not necessarily illegal.

Anyone can try to make and sell sparkling wine, both bad or sublime. On the other hand, you have to meet a certain number of criteria to call it Champagne and you have to be the owner of the "Veuve Cliquot" House to call it "Veuve Cliquot".

This Danish company is selling Knocks-offs and I'am absolutely not sure it's illegal.

The copyright must certainly relate to the brand but not necessarily to the model.

Is it dangerous for “honorable companies” or not?

For counterfeits and bootlegs this is a problem because it can of course cost money but above all it can affect the reputation of the brand, for example fake Lacoste (with a beautiful crocodile logo  Crocodile ) cut with a billhook in a lower quality fabric ...

For the knocks-off, I think it's different. The families who buy "well established trademarks" for their children are not the same as those who buy "cheaper" toys. Automatic coffee machines and local cafés are no threat to Starbucks despite the price difference. It's the same with toys.

What killed the majors of the twentieth century ? It wasn't the multiple knocks-off, it was the arrival of video games, playmobils and action figures as well as a certain disinterest in small soldiers and "war related" toys. it was also a blow to knock-off makers.

I think the advent of these multiple knocks-offs isnt a bad news for us and for traditional brands: It shows that this market is alive and well and that people are interested in it!

Cheers Wink

And if the figures are illegal, i can not imagine that there are for sale in many european zoos. If yes, so the control works. The same for some cheap figures (CollectA copies) that are for sale in german discount shops.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 8:52 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Kikimalou: For the knocks-off, I think it's different. The families who buy "well established trademarks" for their children are not the same as those who buy "cheaper" toys. Automatic coffee machines and local cafés are no threat to Starbucks despite the price difference. It's the same with toys.

Do you think? I agree about Starbucks and coffee machines (and everything else you say), but not sure about the animal toys. I'd think if a child wants an animal toy and there are no knock-offs, they would choose an established brand, because there is no choice. But if knock-offs exist as well, then they may choose a knock-off because they are cheaper (and they'd be able to get more toys).

Recently, I bought a knock-off shark Embarassed because the original branded one was too expensive. Expensive because it is no longer produced and only available second-hand, but still, the price decided.

It is only my thought of course.

Nevertheless, there is a lot of Children clothes stores in France, some are expensive and some not, both survive. I have friends who buy Colas and some exclusively Coca-Cola...

I suppose it is the same in Europe, at least in UK, but we have different kind of Toys stores and they are not selling the same kind of toys. Some, like "Le Bonhomme de bois" are selling expensive toys and exclusively Papo models, some like Maxi-Jouets are selling Schleich and more common and less expensive toys (of course some boxed animal figures), you can also find Papo and Schleich in Picwick or Jouéclub stores and also some kind of knock-offs (not in the same alley though).

I have seen moms quickly resting on the display the Papo dinosaurs that their child asked them for at the sight of the prize. I have also seen mothers buy several at once without batting an eyelid. It is an economic question of course but also a question of family tradition.
Even if the children are growing up visibly, there are families who will always buy expensive brand clothes for their dear darlings. These families are enough to support such brands and such stores.

I grew up in a small town of Lille suburbs. Most of my school friends parents were workers in the Peugeot factory next door.
The little soldiers were mostly premiums, made in HK and also some minor French brands.
Because I was an "only child" at the time (my sister arrived for my tenth birthday) I was lucky to have some Starlux, knights, dinosaurs and wild animals of course. I was a bit of a spoiled kid in the neighborhood.

In my class, I became friend with a boy whose father was a university teacher. In his house there was a room bigger than my room called the laundry room (I didn't know what it was then). There was no TV in his house, because dad didn't want to, but a lot of books, on the other hand they went to the cinema every week.
There was a playroom bigger than my room, it was filled with hundreds of Starlux, castles, not a single made in HK, not a single odds and ends.

For me, "prestige" brands and knocks-offs are not aimed at the same audience, like White and Black rhinos, they can live together because they don't eat the same things.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 2:02 pm

Well roared for a Macaque monkey Crocodile Very Happy

We just had a case here in Denmark, where some plates were copied and sold in supermarkeds - or were they copies ???scratch ?

The originals had a special and unusual design with a speical rim on the plates, a special surface and a sort of uneven rock-like pattern.

The shape of the cheap ones were the same, and in the photo I saw, the surface and pattern were almost the same, too, only slightly lighter colour.
They also weighed a bit less.

So even if amateaurs like me could not see the difference, the "copies" were judged to not be copies, according to the otherwise very strict, Danish laws. Shocked

About models :
On several occations children comming here have seen horses from Collecta, Breyer etc, and have shouted : WOW !!! and rushed over to see them.
But when they discover they are not Schleich, they don't like them after all lol! geek

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 pm

😂
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 4:31 pm

I don't like the argument "it's common practice so it's fine". So many wrong things are common practice, I wouldn't even like to start on this. Do we have to agree to it, or think twice before taking action "like everyone else".
So, as a consumer, I wouldn't buy cheap copies of someone else's work. Even if it's "legal" for some reason. As a person who lives from designing toys and models, I feel like copyright is an extremely important tool to protect my work.

For clarification, what I'm talking about here are not objects "inspired in" someone else's works but the situation when the mold is taken or an object is 3D scanned and printed. That's what is considered breaking the copyright in many countries.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Andreas, yes I have seen my works copied and for sale (molds taken from one or two Mojo horses).
Why would I suspect that there is never an agreement between a Chinese company and a Western brand? I didn't say that. Maybe they sometimes have agreements like that, sure. In this case of this particular Danish company selling copies of several different brands, some of the models still being in catalogs of said brands (Safari parrot), I just think it's unlikely. But maybe to find out we would have to write to them and ask.

It's also not realistic to expect that everything that is available in a European shop or a ZOO store is fairly produced. Maybe those figures are not considered bootlegs because the logo is different and that's enough. They must also fulfill safety standards etc, that's what is checked for sure.  

There is also a different understanding of copyright. One of our forum artists and our good friend had sold a one-of-a-kind sculpture to a Chinese collector. She sold an object, an actual sculpture, and NOT the copyright to it. But that man took a mold from it, started producing copies and selling them and what's even worse he was selling them under HIS OWN STUDIO NAME. Without even a mention of her work. A completely outrageous situation. Actually, when the artist found out she couldn't do anything. What he did is not considered illegal in his country. This is not a single story. That same collector did the same trick with a number of European artists. So, yeah, long live the bootlegs, knockoffs, etc. right?
You can imagine it would be painful and discouraging for any artist.

As for the business side of this, it's hard to say if "major brands" sell less because of the cheap copies. I don't have any data about it. I have one observation that may not be super relevant but I thought it's interesting. This summer I visited a Dutch zoo for the first time in 5 years. They used to sell some branded animal figurines like Schleich and Papo. This year all they had for sale were cheap toys, poor quality. Apparently, it is exactly what most people want to buy.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Ana wrote:
I don't like the argument "it's common practice so it's fine". So many wrong things are common practice, I wouldn't even like to start on this. Do we have to agree to it, or think twice before taking action "like everyone else".
So, as a consumer, I wouldn't buy cheap copies of someone else's work. Even if it's "legal" for some reason. As a person who lives from designing toys and models, I feel like copyright is an extremely important tool to protect my work.

For clarification, what I'm talking about here are not objects "inspired in" someone else's works but the situation when the mold is taken or an object is 3D scanned and printed. That's what is considered breaking the copyright in many countries.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Andreas, yes I have seen my works copied and for sale (molds taken from one or two Mojo horses).
Why would I suspect that there is never an agreement between a Chinese company and a Western brand? I didn't say that. Maybe they sometimes have agreements like that, sure. In this case of this particular Danish company selling copies of several different brands, some of the models still being in catalogs of said brands (Safari parrot), I just think it's unlikely. But maybe to find out we would have to write to them and ask.

It's also not realistic to expect that everything that is available in a European shop or a ZOO store is fairly produced. Maybe those figures are not considered bootlegs because the logo is different and that's enough. They must also fulfill safety standards etc, that's what is checked for sure.  

There is also a different understanding of copyright. One of our forum artists and our good friend had sold a one-of-a-kind sculpture to a Chinese collector. She sold an object, an actual sculpture, and NOT the copyright to it. But that man took a mold from it, started producing copies and selling them and what's even worse he was selling them under HIS OWN STUDIO NAME. Without even a mention of her work. A completely outrageous situation. Actually, when the artist found out she couldn't do anything. What he did is not considered illegal in his country. This is not a single story. That same collector did the same trick with a number of European artists. So, yeah, long live the bootlegs, knockoffs, etc. right?
You can imagine it would be painful and discouraging for any artist.

As for the business side of this, it's hard to say if "major brands" sell less because of the cheap copies. I don't have any data about it. I have one observation that may not be super relevant but I thought it's interesting. This summer I visited a Dutch zoo for the first time in 5 years. They used to sell some branded animal figurines like Schleich and Papo. This year all they had for sale were cheap toys, poor quality. Apparently, it is exactly what most people want to buy.

I understand your point. And i will not defend knockoffs. The only what i mean is, i believe we often think it is illegal if it is a bootleg or anything else. But sometimes it could be that is legal, also it is from China.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 pm

Anna, I can’t read someone saying "it's common practice so it's fine”.
Maybe you think that's what I'm talking about, but it's not. I'm just saying that the "western economy" didn't wait for China to play this kind of sport. I don’t think it’s good, on the contrary.
I also think that if these practices are generalized nowadays because it is easier and easier to copy something, it is not necessarily a Chinese initiative. China is certainly the workshop of the world today, that does not mean that the knocks-off’s sponsors are necessarily Chinese.
Remember, a few years ago people were selling so-called authentic "Vienna Bronzes" at high prices using Papo and Schleich molds on the nose and beard of so-called "experts".
There is also the story of resin wolves produced in China which were reproduced in China in PVC and sold for less, perhaps by the same company (this is the only “knock-off” I own Embarassed ) .
I was not talking about the fate of sculptors either, but of companies and of course, for that, I can only base myself on my experience and not on my knowledge of the business. Again this is just a point of view.
I also don't think that everything that is sold in Europe, in stores and in zoos is produced fairly, I'm just saying that we didn't wait for China to do shenanigans.
I also know, like you, that "respectable companies" are quite capable of "taking a lot of inspiration" from work done by STS friends to avoid having to pay the artist. In particular, I remember one very popular model that will never enter my collection for this simple reason.
I understand very well that for artists who give time, energy and talent, the misadventures you tell us about are a tragedy and that it makes you want to vomit. It would even be nice if you could tell us who the guy is doing this.
As to what exactly is a copyright, it's complicated, copyright as practiced in the US is only recognized in the UK and the commonwealth, but not by China ... nor France. In France we use the ”Droit d'auteur" which is recognized by 177 countries including China.
As for me, I swear to you that I do not buy knocks-off, promise Wink , and that I am one of the people who buy expensive trademark toys for his daughter… And cheap clothes! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! EmptyTue Sep 21, 2021 11:05 am

I'm sorry Christophe, I must have misunderstood you. I thought all those multiple examples were somehow justifying the whole thing. But I see now it's not what you meant.

Yes, I remember "Vienna Bronzes". In a way, it was hilarious. I only felt sorry for anyone paying for "Vienna Bronze" and getting metal Schleich.

As for the story with the Chinese collector, it's from a few years ago, maybe he has changed.  I would not like to share his name here and make this story circulating again. We have warned a good number of artists about the whole thing. I can also tell more details in a private message.

Haha, no, no need to promise to buy trademark toys only, it's not like I'm checking anyone's collections for knockoffs Laughing

Andreas, yes, I see what you mean. It's wrong to assume that all those copies are illegal or questionable (like because "they are different enough, as the paint is minimally different etc"). Or to assume it's always Chinese companies doing that. They may have actual agreements to produce those toys. Would be nice if there was any information about it on the box or website.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Danish bootleg cartel ??!   A Danish bootleg cartel ??! Empty

Back to top Go down

A Danish bootleg cartel ??!
Page 1 of 1