Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Knockoff Kaiyodo?

Go down 
+4
A.R.Garcia
bmathison1972
George
Joliezac
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 7:37 pm

I just received a package today that was the Kaiyodo Wild Rush Series, South America. The figures however look a little off to me and the paintjobs aren't as well as some other in person pictures I have seen. I could only just barely identify the word Kaiyodo on the anteater, and it is covered mostly by paint layers. Is this normal for Kaiyodo to not put their brand name on figures or are these possibly knockoffs? I'm unfamiliar with Kaiyodo so I don't know whether the paint job is just less than I expected or if I got a bad deal. The listing said they were Kaiyodo Capsule Wild Rush Series Amazon brand new. It also did not come with any papers as I thought it might.

Here are pictures:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
George

George

Country/State : England

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 7:50 pm

I've just had a look on mine (admittedly I only own four, and not this set!) and the paint over the moulded lettering seems to be much thinner, as the letters don't look nearly as muffled by it as on your capybara example.
The weirdest thing seems to be the jaguar's areas of noticeable over-painting - on his hind leg and shoulder in the photo where he's facing right, and patches around both eyes! It's almost as if the painter didn't like parts of their first attempt and tried to paint over those and have a second go?

Joliezac

Joliezac

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 7:54 pm

George wrote:
I've just had a look on mine (admittedly I only own four, and not this set!) and the paint over the moulded lettering seems to be much thinner, as the letters don't look nearly as muffled by it as on your capybara example.
The weirdest thing seems to be the jaguar's areas of noticeable over-painting - on his hind leg and shoulder in the photo where he's facing right, and patches around both eyes! It's almost as if the painter didn't like parts of their first attempt and tried to paint over those and have a second go?

Yeah I thought the paint on mine were very odd..

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 8:54 pm

the quality does not look typical for Kaiyodo. I have the caiman and the macaw. The caiman is unmarked but the macaw clearly has a rectangular design with the word 'Kaiyodo' in it; also the rectangle is depressed into the figure as opposed to coming out from the figure.
They could be bootlegs, or somebody bought a set and attempted a repaint. The more I look at these, the more I suspect the former.
Also, my caiman has a clear seam where the tail attaches (the caiman comes in two pieces), and yours doesn't have a seam, suggesting a single-piece knock-off, or a very heavy paint application.
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 pm

I just looked at mine and each of them is different. These look like factory look-alikes, not repaints, because of the difference in seams and printing, and the paint application doesn't have the look of personal repaints (for instance the capybara's left eye is applied just below the sculpted eye).

This anteater doesn't have the fine seam where the tail attaches as a separate piece, and the edge of the white striping isn't as subtle. The jaguar stands out the most as different, with poorer painting overall. Mine has finer seams where the front legs join and also a very fine seam where the whole head meets the neck, while this picture shows Y-shaped convex seams on the front of the head and chest area that aren't visible on mine. So it seems like the head on this one was molded as part of the figure while the original has a head molded separately and then glued on. My capybara has very fine attachment seams on the legs and head, and the nails are painted. The macaw and the caiman (like Blaine said), also have tails that attach separately. The neck seam on my macaw is somewhat different. My caiman has painted teeth and only three painted claws on the front and back feet. They all have Kaiyodo standing out very slightly underneath, except in a rectangle on the macaw, and just the copyright symbol and letter K on the back left foot of the caiman.

Joliezac

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 am

Thank you, mine did not come in pieces, as the tail does not come off any of the figures and I see that my figures are missing seams on them. I may just try to return them, as I expected them to be much better.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptySat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 am

Am I wrong or are on the belly of capybara and anteater signs of the word "KAIYODO"? I saw on some Chinese portals such kind of figures (Kenelephant ones). I believe these are Kaiyodo originals taken as "rohlings" for cheaper price and painted somewhere by somebody to be sold as fully finished Kaiyodo figures.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Any time ago i got a horseshoe crab as a Kaiyodo knockoff

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 9:36 pm

the anteater and capybara look to be very worn, with dirty parts, scuffs and scrapes
and the leopard has had noticeable repaint/touch ups
and the alligator has a clean and shiny new lower jaw
the parrot looks in good condition though:)
I think they have had a busy and interesting life before you got them:)
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2021 8:30 pm

I tried to return them but the seller claimed that they were 100% authentic and brand new.. They gave me a partial refund and told me to keep them, so I guess I have these interesting figures in my collection now. The macaw is probably the best out of the bunch and I can photoshop out the seams for when I take outdoor photographs. Probably won't be using the other figures in pictures. Very mysterious what these figures actually are scratch Thank you to everyone who helped me out, I appreciate it! Very Happy Very Happy

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
tjjtjjtjja

tjjtjjtjja

Country/State : China/Shanghai

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 am

This set is pirated in China. I can't confirm whether it is a pirated version just by looking at the pictures, but the paintings of the jaguar and alligator are obviously different from the ones I have seen.

Because kaiyodo’s figures are produced by Chinese factories, it is easy to produce piracy, some of which are unqualified products, and some are remodeled by other factories. These will all enter the market.

There are two points to distinguish whether it is pirated, one is whether the seller can provide egg paper, and the other is the price and painting.

Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Knockoff Kaiyodo?   Knockoff Kaiyodo? Empty

Back to top Go down

Knockoff Kaiyodo?
Page 1 of 1