Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+7
spacelab
Bonnie
Caracal
widukind
landrover
Roger
Kikimalou
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm

It's been a looooooong time I made a new Lineol walkaround.

Toooooooooo long indeed Sleep

I discovered a few pics I made a long time ago about an old hippo, I also dicovered that in august 2020, while I was fighting against Covid at the hospital, my favorite croc Rogério was organizing a Lineol and CollectA hippos battle HERE.

I also discovered the other excellent topic made in august 2020 by my dear Snow leopard Kostas HERE

I love very much CollectA hippo but I found this battle was a bit unfair for the oldest hippo, it's not Rogério fault of course but the Lineol IV he shown us is the lastest version with a minimal painting.

So because I love so much my old Lineol, I would like to show him with the early version painting, I hope it helps to show how magnificent Lineol was and still is.

At the time I made the pics, CollectA hippo wasn't born so the meeting will be with my Papo (early painting too drunken  )

So let's get in the time machine and walk somewhere between 1940 and 1960

I hope you will enjoy Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 am

It is not the figure that is a much nicer version but your pictures are of a much superior quality.
Though, you are right, the prewar version painting makes a huge difference.
Thanks for providing a premium version of the same subject. Your favorite croc just try his best. Laughing Actually I feel quite happy for having one Lineol hippo too even if it is not the best version but I am also happy that a model in such magnificent condition is with you and that you can give justice to this old masterpiece.
Though, is it still the king? hard to choose and compare such different generations but I got completely impressed with the new CollectA. I think it is not possible to make a much better one.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 12:56 am

This old lineol is marvellous figure.

cheers cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 am

Thank you Fernando 😊

Rogério, the reason why I forget to post a walk around was I wasn’t happy with my pics 😂.
You and Kosta made a very good job, I only wanted show the old Lineol at his best.
I can understand synoptic collectors, which you are not, and I have one thing in common with them: models enter my collection to come out some time later. That's all.
I don't think like in Highlander, in the end there can only be one. I can't, it doesn't make sense to me.
I have only one rule, if a model gives you a big emotion every time you look at t it then it is here to stay. If one day I ceased to love a model, the best is to find it a new home.
So I don’t spend my time thinking who is the best, the one who will stay, I’m a lucky guy 😊
I fall in love for the CollectA last hippo, it is a real masterpiece but that does not detract from Lineol and Papo. I still have so much joy in admiring them. Thanks to CollectA I have one more hippo to love that's all.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 8:21 am

A beauty. For a few days i bought a old book about the Berlin zoo. The reason is Lineol.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 8:21 am

A very good reason Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Thank you Christophe for this beautiful walkaround of a beautiful model! cheers cheers
..but I must confess.. I prefer the Papo one.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Wow, Lineol amazes me every time, they made such wonderful models! cheers This hippo is lovely, a great pose and really nice colouring and all presented so well with your excellent photos as usual! flower
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Oct 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you Fernando 😊

Rogério, the reason why I forget to post a walk around was I wasn’t happy with my pics 😂.
You and Kosta made a very good job, I only wanted show the old Lineol at his best.
I can understand synoptic collectors, which you are not, and I have one thing in common with them: models enter my collection to come out some time later. That's all.
I don't think like in Highlander, in the end there can only be one. I can't, it doesn't make sense to me.
I have only one rule, if a model gives you a big emotion every time you look at t it then it is here to stay. If one day I ceased to love a model, the best is to find it a new home.
So I don’t spend my time thinking who is the best, the one who will stay, I’m a lucky guy 😊
I fall in love for the CollectA last hippo, it is a real masterpiece but that does not detract from Lineol and Papo. I still have so much joy in admiring them. Thanks to CollectA I have one more hippo to love that's all.

Your exigence with your own pictures is naturally different. If I used that criteria, I'd never post on forum. Laughing
So I enjoy both sides. Having figures that give me joy regardless of their size, realism or whatever, but I also enjoy to try to find the nicest representative of each species, at least among traditional models from major brands or those that work nicely.
I think it is also a good subject to keep learning and for good discussions on forum as long as people do it without any kind of fanatism. Finding the best hippo figure is like to find the best painting version of the Lineol IV hippo. Just a question of collecting fun.

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 9:40 am

I like these hippos very much and definitely your photos are top quality.
I also like this "collecting" conversation and although it's a bit out of topic I will comment, been a collector from a small kid actually in various subjects.
I always had rules, mostly because it's much more fun to the searching part of it. Also, trying to find the most accurate model in this collecting hobby, pushes me to learn more about the real thing, and learning is always a pleasure.
I have to say though that collecting nowadays is somehow boring and less fun. The web made things much easier and almost a strict "budget" thing, especially in records that was my main hobby for decades. Everything can be found easy and almost nothing can be found in bargain price.
At last, nothing can replace the joy of searching and finding the "jewel" you've been looking for in real shops along with a couple of friends.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 am

I understand, actually I just decided to be off in my own topic Laughing

Rogério, I think the first discussion we had was about accurate (or not) dinosaurs a long time ago Wink

I also like to discuss or reading discussions about the + and - of a model, I can't deny it, there is too much evidence all over STS study

For  years now we met a lot of collectors with so many different ways of doing the job and a lot of them influenced my own philosophy.

Lately, when Blaine started his synoptic collection and Roger developed his collection at 1/32, they got me to rethink my way of collecting. My collection is not at all synoptic but seeing a number of us view theirs in this way has deeply interested me. I collect animals of all sizes, from all eras and from all countries, but issues of scale have always been important to me. I think today I have found a way to reconcile it all.

Nevertheless, for all these years, the collector who has undoubtedly influenced me the most is Susanne, by her simple way of loving her figurines. She freed me from a bundle of cobwebs that hung in my head.
I can always discuss and compare the models between them, it is one of the pleasures of our hobby but I am quite unable to choose the best, the king of all. I still love to discuss about scales. In the end, all of these discussions have very little influence on my choices.

If I had to summarize the situation, I actually practice like Marie Kondo, I look at a model, better, I hold it in my hands, if I feel a real emotion this model is for me, otherwise I go my way or I let go to other collectors who will like it better than me.

Lately Paige and Kostas show their collection in a very original way. That of Kostas challenged me when I saw the camel and the dromedary that he had chosen for his synoptic collection. First I realized that I no longer had any modern camels or dromedaries of this size (although I had quite a few) and that in addition I did not feel much in front of this Schleich and this CollectA . I find these models very very well done, I have no complaints but the desire is not there, it shook me.

I then rushed to TAW to see which modern models would appeal to me. I was very surprised, there are two: The camels of Colorata and Eikoh ...

I don't know if I got old or if everything is fine Laughing

@spacelab: I like your way to be off topic  Wink  I agree with you, that's probably why collecting year's model isn't enough for me, you are right it is only a "budget" thing. I need some discoveries, something I never heard of or something I dream about for a long time and is nowhere to be seen. It is obvious in my new entries.

I also opened a topic about my ultimate wishlist for now  Very Happy

@Bonnie: I'm glad you enjoy watching these old treasures, even older than I am affraid Wink

@Caracal: My favorite is the scratch Kinder for now geek Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Oct 17, 2021 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for this walk around Kikimalou! It's so nice to be able to look at those old models in such great detail. Excellent photos as always. Applause
I really like this old paintwork! It's not only more detailed but has a very interesting hue. it almost looks like from sepia-colored photographs, very appropriate for a vintage model! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 3:31 pm

I love this amazing hippo model as well as this amazing conversation about collecting. It's fascinating how each collector approaches it differently.

I have to agree about the internet making everything almost "too easy" to find. I am a new collector for this hobby, but long time one for others, and the second-hand hunt is virtually nonexistent there. Everything is on eBay or somewhere like that, if you look and wait a little while, and have a lot of money to spend. Still fun in its very different way, especially since I have less time in my life to go to second-hand places. But still, some of the joy of the 'hunt' is reduced, or maybe only changed from how nostalgia remembers it fondly. It has been nice to fill in some of the gaps from my childhood wish lists, though, that I was always completely unable to even hope to find second hand, as limited as that was for a child.

And the hippo truly is a work of art. That back foot tilted up, what a lovely detail! Your photos are nearly as nice as if you hd a museum of your models to walk around in person.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Oct 18, 2021 4:27 pm

If it wasn't for the internet, and I'd only bought the models I'd found in person in shops or on trade stands at horse shows, I'd probably have a grand total of about twenty horses Laughing

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 am

As I showed on my topic, I also have this beautiful and iconic Lineol Hippo model, but like Roger, mine is also the later painted version. And I love it.
But OMG, this prewar version is sooooo beautiful.
Kiki , you are very lucky to have it in your collection cheers
This colouring gives the model much more justise and makes it look`s even more wonderful.
Although, I think this brown colours are not very realistic for the hippo, but Anna said it very well :
''it almost looks like from sepia-colored photographs, very appropriate for a vintage model!''
Thank you for the great walkaround with wonderful photos as always !

PostSubject: Re: The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou   The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lineol IV prewar hippopotamus: a walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1