Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Leyster's Collection

Go down 
+11
Leyster
widukind
rogerpgvg
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Taos
Gecko08
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
landrover
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Leyster

Country/State : Italy

Leyster's Collection - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2022 2:07 pm

There is no official information on the PNSO sculpting team, except that the figures are not sculpted by Zhao Chuang himself, which is more of a real-size sculptor. So somebody in the PNSO team is tasked with the figures. Or so this is what I understood from some posts by Chinese users on DTF.

Here are the photos. I added the right side for good measure, but you'll have to deal with my printer in the background XD :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 11:01 am

Binomial name: Elasmosaurus platyurus Cope, 1868
Classification: Sauropterygia->Eosauropterygia->Pistosauria->Plesiosauria->Plesiosauroidea->Cryptoclidia->Xenopsaria->Elasmosauridae->Styxosaurinae
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Sharon Springs Member of Pierre Shale Formation (present day USA)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2021
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:40, based on a restored skull lenght (dunno how reliable it is, given what we have of Elasmosaurus skull)

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 11:21 am

Thanks for the extra photos you provided. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 10:46 am

My pleasure!

Binomial name: Majungasaurus crenatissimus Deperet, 1896
Classification: Dinosauria>Theropoda>Neotheropoda>Averostra>Ceratosauria>Neoceratosauria>Abelisauroidea>Abelisauridae>Majungasaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Maevarano Formation (present day Madagascar)
Manifacturer and date of release: Vitae, 2017
Sculptor: Cheung Chung Tat
Scale: 1:23 for FMNH PR 2100.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 2:32 pm

These figures by PNSO and the Posto by Safari seem so realistic in sculptings, standings and paintings!.. but they testifie the knowledge of a moment and maybe soon will look less accurate but it's also what makes their epistemologic value! :)
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 4:25 pm

Binomial name: Caudipteryx zoui Ji et al. 1998
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Oviraptorosauria->Caudipteridae
Time: Aptian (early Cretaceous)
Formation: Jianshangou Beds of the Yixian Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2009
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: 1:8 based on NGMC 97-4-A

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 5:08 pm

I owned for a short time the GeoWorld Caudipteryx , it was somewhat silly figure but I always love to learn about different brands. I also owned the microraptor from Safari. Both found two good owners. Apparently, when I reduce my collection, dinos are the first getting extinct. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 10:56 am

The Geoworld Caudpteryx has a nice paint scheme, based on a Louis Rey artwork.

Binomial name: Ankylosaurus magniventris Brown, 1908
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Ankylosauria->Ankylosauridae->Ankylosaurinae->Ankylosaurini
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Ferris Formation, Scollard Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:26 for AMNH5214, 1:32 for CMN8880

It looks like my restriction to post links is over, sohere you can read my review of the PNSO Ankylosaurus.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 11:27 am

Thanks for the link, I find the figure magnificent and it seems it is around 20 Euros what is surely affordable for a dinosaur. Though, what you point about the painting and also the fact it may be hollow, are two relatively discouraging points. Maybe it is like the Papo alligator snapping turtle, hollow with a very thick layer of plastic so it does not feel hollow at all.

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks for the link, I find the figure magnificent and it seems it is around 20 Euros what is surely affordable for a dinosaur. Though, what you point about the painting and also the fact it may be hollow, are two relatively discouraging points. Maybe it is like the Papo alligator snapping turtle, hollow with a very thick layer of plastic so it does not feel hollow at all.
About the hollow thing, don't worry, is just an impression I got because I was expecting a figure of that size to be heavier. I might be miscalculating, however, or it might be of a lighter material than others. It doesn't feel hollow at all except for this weight thing.
About painting, you're lucky: PNSO recently retired the models painted like the one I own and re-released this figure with a painting much closer to the original version. Pictures from a Tieba Baidu user:
The one I own is the greyer one, you can see a clear improvement.

If you have 20 euros left, it's probably the nicest dinosaur you can buy for that sum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Yes, those are good news, maybe they moved to a different factory.
Considering the aestetic part of a dinosaur is also relevant, I think if I ever buy my first PNSO dinosaur, it will be slightly more expensive but I can't think of a dinosaur figure as beautiful as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] flower Though, I am also tempted to get an Eofauna that I think is more like my style but fortunately I cannot afford it, so no dilemas. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:29 pm

Roger wrote:
Yes, those are good news, maybe they moved to a different factory.
Considering the aestetic part of a dinosaur is also relevant, I think if I ever buy my first PNSO dinosaur, it will be slightly more expensive but I can't think of a dinosaur figure as beautiful as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] flower Though, I am also tempted to get an Eofauna that I think is more like my style but fortunately I cannot afford it, so no dilemas. Laughing
Where are you located? Here in Europe Eofaunas aren't that pricey (or, at least, not much more than the PNSO Ankylosaurus and definitely less than other PNSOs)

Binomial name: Dicraeosaurus hansermanni Janensch, 1914
Classification: Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Bagualosauria->Massopoda->Sauropodiformes->Sauropoda->Eusauropoda->Neosauropoda->Diplodocoidea->Diplodocimorpha->Flagellicaudata->Dicraeosauridae
Time: Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Tendaguru Formation (present-day Tanzania)
Manifacturer and date of release: GR Toys, 2021
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:30
You can read my review of this model here.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:50 pm

I'm from Portugal and now that you mentioned, I see Alcaceria, a Spanish shop, is selling the Eofauna Atlasaurus for 26 Euros, it is really less expensive than what I expected. I was convinced it was 40 or more. Though, I can't distract myself and the Konobelodon must be my next goal.
Your reviews are really great, it seems you're not 100% happy with this Dicraeosaurus but it is undoubtfully a beautiful model. GR Toys is another brand I don't have any experience with.

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:56 pm

I heard of that shop from some DT Spanish user, seems great. Alternatively in Europe there is modellpferdeversand, which sells Eofaunas for more or less the same price (Atlasaurus is 27 euros).

Yes, the Dicraeosaurus is one of those cases when a bit more attention might have resulted in a masterpiece, but it's still really nice (and the only Dicraeosaurus around beside the Starlux).

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 6:06 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 12:39 pm

Binomial name: Neovenator salerii Hutt et al. 1996
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Carcharodontosauria->Carcharodontosauridae->Neovenatoridae (?)*
Time: Barremian (Early Cretaceous)
Formation: Wessex Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2021
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:35 based on MIWG 6348
*not sure if the "Neovenatoridae" clade is still a necessity

You can read my review of this model here

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 12:22 pm

I don't know if you are an editor on TAW but it would be great to have your pictures to update the prehistoric pages. You can even add a link, at the bottom of the corresponding TAW page, to your reviews.
Interesting that you put this new interpretation of the Neovenator at 1:35 scale, isn't it from the popular series? It is strange that the Deluxe model is marketed at 1:40 scale.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 12:42 pm

This Dicraeosaurus is very impressive! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 1:14 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 4:34 pm

Roger wrote:
I don't know if you are an editor on TAW but it would be great to have your pictures to update the prehistoric pages. You can even add a link, at the bottom of the corresponding TAW page, to your reviews.
Interesting that you put this new interpretation of the Neovenator at 1:35 scale, isn't it from the popular series? It is strange that the Deluxe model is marketed at 1:40 scale.
In my experience, Collecta models advertised as 1:40 are almost (with the exception of the most recent years) never in 1:40. While, on the opposite, models in the regular line tend to fit better the 1:40 scale.
About the TAW, maybe it would benefit more from someone with a bit more photographic talent than me? XD

Caracal wrote:
This Dicraeosaurus is very impressive! cheers cheers
I agree, it has quite the presence.

Binomial name: Parasaurolophus walkeri Parks 1922
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Neornithischia->Cerapoda->Ornithopoda->Iguanodontia->Dryomorpha->Ankylopollexia->Styracosterna->Hadrosauroidea->Hadrosauridae->Saurolophidae->Lambeosaurinae->Parasaurolophini
Time: Campanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Dinosaur Park Formation (Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Battat, 1998 (reissued in 2014)
Sculptor: Greg Wenzel
Scale: 1:34 based on ROM 768

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 12:35 pm

I think your pictures are more than good for TAW, especially considering that most of these figures are not even there. Laughing
Well, it is up to you and I won't insist.
At least this Parasaurolophus is already entered. I thought those were Dan LoRusso sculpts but it seems I am wrong. Curiously, the interpretation looks quite modern for a 1998 sculpt. Parasarulophus looked then all like kangaroos and this posture is much more common in modern replicas. The color scheme is excessively contrasting but I like the layout. Maybe the PNSO parasaurolophus is my favorite one but I am not that knowledgeable about prehistoric models.

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 10:51 am

Roger wrote:
I think your pictures are more than good for TAW, especially considering that most of these figures are not even there. Laughing
Well, it is up to you and I won't insist.
Well, if you say so I might consider it, I have only to find the time to do it.
Quote :
At least this Parasaurolophus is already entered. I thought those were Dan LoRusso  sculpts but it seems I am wrong. Curiously, the interpretation looks quite modern for a 1998 sculpt. Parasarulophus looked then all like kangaroos and this posture is much more common in modern replicas. The color scheme is excessively contrasting but I like the layout. Maybe the PNSO parasaurolophus is my favorite one but I am not that knowledgeable about prehistoric models.
Diplodocus, Stegosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Edmontonia, Amargasaurus, Ceratosaurus, Maiasaura, "Euoplocephalus" and Carnotaurus Battats are by Dan LoRusso. The others are by Greg Wenzel.

The Battat Parasaurolophus is quite graceful. About it's anatomy, a paper by Bertozzo et al. (2020) suggested there was a nuchal ligament on the neck. Thus atm no Parasaurolophus on the market, and very few Hadrosauroids, are correct to the current understanding.

Binomial name: Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Carnegie Collection of the Safari LTD, 2014
Sculptor: Forest Rogers
Scale: 1:34 based on CM9380, the holotype of Tyrannosaurus and the one housed at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. The skull of the model quite resemble it and, given the partnership with Safari LTD, I think it's a safe bet to indentify the model as this specimen.
An incredibly underrated model, in my opinion. Even with some issues with the proportions (I think the head is a tad too big?), this is a truly remarkable restoration of Tyrannosaurus. I expecially like the smooth skin (Tyrannosaurus scales, if they're even scales to begin with, are incredibly small and basically invisible at that size), the appropriately small forelimbs and the sculpt of the skull, devoid of Jurassic Park -like angry eyebrows often employed to make Tyrannosaurus look cooler.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 12:17 pm

Thanks for providing that information about Battat sculptors, I must add that info on TAW when possible.
I remember perfectly when this T-rex was released. It really never gained special atention from the collecting community. On the other hand, I think 2017 Doug Watson's feathered version was quite discusssed and popular and is today a much more iconic model than the Carnegie one. I only have a tiny T-rex figure and I really don't know, among the afffordable large figures, which one to choose, though, if I wanted two Tyrannosaur figures, one of them would be the Safari feathered one.

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 12:50 pm

Well the WS Tyrannosaurus is a great choice, probably the most iconic feathered Tyrannosaurus model. I would've preferred it without the JP eyebrows, tho. I'm curious of what the rumored GR Toys will look like.

Binomial name: Archaeopteryx lithographica Meyer, 1861
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Avialae->Archaeopterygidae
Time: Tithonian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Solnhofen and Eichstatt Member of the Altmuhltal Formation, Mörnsheim Formation, Painten Formation (present-day Germany)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2017
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:4 for the Berlin specimen

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 1:12 pm

I think the PNSO minis featuring feathered creatures are the most interesting in this particular series. On the other hand, the mini Miragaia is so silly when compared with the standard one.
I am also curious to see what GR Toys can do with their interpretation of a Tyrannosaurus but just see because the final figure will cost around 100 Euros. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leyster's Collection
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next