Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jill's Dingo Collection

Go down 
+5
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
SUSANNE
Roger
Jill
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Jill's Dingo Collection  Empty
PostSubject: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 10:19 pm

Since I have recently decided this accidental focus will be an actual focus in my collection, I think a little thread for them is appropriate. Very Happy

Why I decided to specifically collect dingo figures of all kinds:

1) Arbitrarily one of my favorite large carnivores. An unusual wild canid with a still debated evolutionary history, I think they are both fascinating and beautiful - and often under appreciated.

2) There are not very many figures out there yet. Laughing Many of my favorite large mammals (e.g. okapi, hyena) are so well represented that collecting them feels a little overwhelming just now, and other collectors have such excellent representative collections that I can enjoy looking at those! And my other favorite mammals (e.g. opossums) are so UNDER-represented that there's virtually nothing TO collect. And horses, dogs, and cats are their own separate portion of the collection, so well represented as to be impossible to complete. As for things other than mammals, I cannot choose species, I would simply want to have all the reptile and amphibians there are. Laughing

I have no connection to Australia, so maybe it is an unusual choice! I have never been there, and I may never be able to afford to go. But I do really hope to go someday, especially to the desert center where I once upon a time set a novel I had started to write. That novel led me to several years of research into Australia and especially its aboriginal cultures, ultimately confirming for me that I wasn't the right person to be telling a story about a place that I admired but did not intimately know. So I set the novel aside but retained my appreciation for the wildlife, ecology, and native cultures. The dingo remains my representative of that learning phase. It was a symbolic piece of the novel, and so became even more special to me.

I have yet to ever even see a dingo in person! Several US zoos have them, but none close to me. It's on the list.

One thing I hope to someday see in a dingo figure is more coat color variety. Dingoes come in (at least) three colors - ginger (most common), black and tan, and white (or cream). These are considered the truest dingo colorations, but pure dingoes have also been found in sable, brindle, and "patchy" or bi-color. Historically, those animals have been considered dingo/dog crossbreeds and culled, but a recent study found that all of those colors were found in pure animals. So I would love to see at least one or two others represented!

If you have any dingo figures for sale that I don't have, in any medium, I would be interested in knowing. :)

- - -

Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Wildlife

Easily the most legitimate representative in my current tiny collection. This was a gift from Mitsukuni! I am not nearly as good as many collectors here at talking about the better qualities of realism in a model and how it represents a species, but this one I think does a very nice job. Dingos are lean and rangy creatures, perhaps not as furry as this model appears, but certainly shaped much like this with a high tuck waist and long legs. His face almost has a grin to it, but remains realistic enough to not be cartoonish, and I love the expression. He is the truest and most common coat color - yellow without markings - and they have created the gradual fade here where other models tend to make it a harsh line between the lighter and darker areas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Safari Ltd - The Land Down Under Toob

This little guy was from Paige! There are many color variations of it, I think, and this one is not the flashiest. His round ears are not extremely dingo-y, and his tail seems very wolf or fox to me, but his body shape and legs are good! As tube sizes are my favorite, I am definitely delighted to have him in my dingo family. I hope I can add some of his color variation brothers someday, too.

K&M International - Wild Republic Australia Polybag

One of the first dingo figures I secured. I think this one is great. I love the action of him and the swing of his tail. His coloration is a little less common, as the high white is not usually spread on the face and chest like that, though it is often on the feet and tail tip. The face is often lighter around the muzzle and chest, but not usually crisp edged bright white, only paler cream. His markings are more like the shape of the black and tan markings, and it would be have been neat to see him represent those. His ears are also a little round for dingo, but not unbelievably so.

K&M International - Australian Animal Down Under Nature Tube

To me, this one is shaped the least like a dingo, but I do love him! A long neck and short back on this guy. However, I really love the K&M style of figure and this one is no exception. He looks a little like a fox, but I know in my heart he is a dingo, and so that is enough. Laughing I like that he is distinct in the world of tiny tube sized figures, which can be hard to sift through visually. I think I would have really liked this one in particular as a child and given it a lot of personality, so that's a great deal of appeal as well.  

Yowies US - Animals with Superpowers

I am pleased that the dingo was recognized in this category of animal. Their flexibility was the focus of the "superpower" category, and the card mentions their jaws and neck specifically. But not only do their necks rotate 180 degrees, they can also rotate their wrists and subluxate their hips (unlike domestic dogs). I really like the yowie dingo sculpt. The color is not very exciting, just solid gold, but the thin muscular body and ear and tail shape are really good. He seems to be smirking a little, too.  

Yowies UK - Series 1 (I'm not sure how UK yowies were packaged, if there was a theme for each series)

While this is the least realistic dingo I have so far, it is also one of the most charming in my opinion. He looks a bit like a clay model or something handmade, and they remained true to the type and did not make him look simply like a dog. I think he is a nice version of stylized, not "cartoon" but simplified. His color is nice, too. The correct ginger coat is not really a very easy color to create, at least not when I have painted similar colored animals, and so I think it often comes out very gold or brown.

Albert Heijn - Australian Desert Series

I love this little guy so much! His gait with the low head and long lope combined with the rangy, visible ribs really to me makes it feel like a reproduction of a wild creature. The sculpt is really good for how small it is, and though the color is a very bright yellow, it has some good gradient to it despite the size. And the fact that it is very tiny is all the more appealing to me. This was from a trade with Roy-Swetsie, and I did not even know this figure existed until then. Probably partly what inspired me to look specifically for dingo figures, in the end.

Safari Ltd. - Good Luck Mini

It is hard to critique this little one's accuracy on such an itty bitty scale but I really like him! Mine has legs that came a bit warped, but otherwise he's a really pleasant little guy. It's a really good natural yellow color with a nice soft gradient. Not a particularly interesting pose but I'm sure the size and media limits that. He's actually got better ear shape than a lot of the larger figures and while I don't think he is thin enough with enough tuck to the waist, I mean, again. He is smaller than a thumb tack, honestly he's perfect.

Nayab - dog

Not sold as a dingo but close enough that I am going to adopt him into the family. Since it wasn't meant to be a dingo, I can't judge it harshly, but I do wonder where the idea that any canine with upright ears has rounded ears (except the painted dog) is coming from. In any case, the color and the fact that he is lanky and has a pointed nose, upright ears, and a long not tightly curled tail makes him a dingo for me!

Unknown - wild dog

This guy was another gift from Mitsukuni, and I don't think it's meant to be any specific canid. It could as easily be a coyote or jackal or even a fox, or as Paige has pointed out a dhole, but here we'll assign him the title dingo especially since he is yellow. One that has perhaps have a very messy meal with all that red!

- - -

This collection is a work in progress!

Last edited by Jill on Mon May 06, 2024 10:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Sep 11, 2022 11:06 pm

I am so happy you opened this topic and it will help us to find dingos for you.
There aren't many to collect but their popularity is increasing so the goal is to find those we already know.
Please try to get the Southlands before it turns impossible to find.
I think I have the small S&N, let's hope I don't forget it when I'm back Lisbon.
Some dingo figures really look like other canid sculpts recycled as dingos but that's also an interesting point. Though, some are undoubtfully dingos as it is the Safari and Yowies USA models for instance.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 am

Lovely collection Very Happy

I did not know there are so many models of dingos, - and you even don't have the new one from Schleich Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 10:34 am

Nice dingos, my favourite IS the small K&M figure

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Sep 12, 2022 4:04 pm

Roger wrote:
I am so happy you opened this topic and it will help us to find dingos for you.
There aren't many to collect but their popularity is increasing so the goal is to find those we already know.
Please try to get the Southlands before it turns impossible to find.
I haven't found any for sale yet, but I do hope to come across one eventually!

Quote :
I think I have the small S&N, let's hope I don't forget it when I'm back Lisbon.
Thank you for thinking to check, no problem if not!

Quote :
Some dingo figures really look like other canid sculpts recycled as dingos but that's also an interesting point. Though, some are undoubtfully dingos as it is the Safari and Yowies USA models for instance.
Do we know of any that are a duplicate sculpt yet? I haven't seen anything on the ones I have that aren't dingoes, but I sure don't know all the canine figures out there!

SUSANNE wrote:
Lovely collection Very Happy

I did not know there are so many models of dingos, - and you even don't have the new one from Schleich Very Happy
Thank you! He's definitely on my list!

widukind wrote:
Nice dingos, my favourite IS the small K&M  figure
Thank you, that is a very appealing little figure!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 12:14 pm

Jill wrote:
Roger wrote:

Do we know of any that are a duplicate sculpt yet? I haven't seen anything on the ones I have that aren't dingoes, but I sure don't know all the canine figures out there!

No, I don't really know molds being used for dingos and other wild dogs but it wouldn't surprise me if a few of these were used to represent different species.
What I know is this Toy-Mate figure we listed on TAW as an African wild dog and it can be used as anything else. Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 5:36 pm

Very very nice collection! As a wild canid lover dingos hold a particular interest because of their tricky classification.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2022 8:46 pm

I read this wonderful topic from top to bottom, it's really interesting to see your views on each figure and amazing to see your dingo collection- I am so excited to see how it grows! cheers cheers I think it's a really nice idea to focus in on a species you love and collect as many representatives as possible of it- it's why I love collecting dogs and I originally almost did it for dingoes too as I think I've told you before, but then I decided to give myself a bit more of a focus! Laughing
I really love the Safari one especially- and now know who to go to if I ever find any spare dingo figures! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 6:49 pm

Thank you Paige and Bonnie!

Roger wrote:

No, I don't really know molds being used for dingos and other wild dogs but it wouldn't surprise me if a few of these were used to represent different species.
What I know is this Toy-Mate figure we listed on TAW as an African wild dog and it can be used as anything else. Laughing
Oh that's a great weirdo! That whole set is fun. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 1:06 am

It has been a very long time since I added a dingo to the family! I keep getting distracted, but I have not actually abandoned them. Today is a special day because I have added the SMALLEST dingo out there to the pack.

Safari Ltd. - Good Luck Mini

It is hard to critique this little one's accuracy on such an itty bitty scale but I really like him! Mine has legs that came a bit warped, but otherwise he's a really pleasant little guy. It's a really good natural yellow color with a nice soft gradient. Not a particularly interesting pose but I'm sure the size and media limits that. He's actually got better ear shape than a lot of the larger figures and while I don't think he is thin enough with enough tuck to the waist, I mean, again. He is smaller than a thumb tack, honestly he's perfect.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 1:37 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 3:42 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 7:25 pm

This good luck mini is impressive, so many details on such a small thing Shocked
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 pm

Just making something recognizable at this size with this rubber material is something to be praised.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 pm

Nayab - dog

Not sold as a dingo but close enough that I am going to adopt him into the family. Since it wasn't meant to be a dingo, I can't judge it harshly, but I do wonder where the idea that any canine with upright ears except the painted dog has rounded ears is coming from. In any case, the color and the fact that he is lanky and has a pointed nose, upright ears, and a long not tightly curled tail makes him a dingo for me!

Last edited by Jill on Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 12:12 am

It is a dingo, Jill even if it is part of a Farm series. I also asked a experienced dog collector who identifies it also as a dingo. ... and if it is not, it would be part of my collection if I was a dingo collector. If I'm not wrong, it belongs to a Farm set which has an ostrich on it.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:38 pm

Great looking Dingo!!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:15 pm

Absolutely inkown dingo dog for me, nice catch Jill Applause
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 5:42 pm

Thank you all!

Roger wrote:
It is a dingo, Jill even if it is part of a Farm series. I also asked a experienced dog collector who identifies it also as a dingo. ... and if it is not, it would be part of my collection if I was a dingo collector. If I'm not wrong, it belongs to a Farm set which has an ostrich on it.
Perfect, I am glad he has been officially approved, or at least generally accepted as true! Razz Ostrich are somewhat common farm animals in the US at least, though the emu is more common, and certainly not familiar enough to include in the standard Barnyard Play Sets, ha!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 6:41 pm

That's an approval like this. What iis it? A dog, for sure. What sort of dog? I don't know, eventually a dingo. Will Nayab use it as a dingo if a custommer asks for one dingo at this size? For sure. They did it with the large Spitz and turned it into the Wild Republic polybag dingo.
I've read here about Farms using ostriches but not emus but in any case they are completely atypical.
Here is th official photo of the set which this dog belongs to.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Mar 31, 2024 10:05 pm

That is a bit of a strange farm, just a little sprinkling of exotics to keep it interesting I guess. Wink
Back to top Go down
thefaintsmile

thefaintsmile

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 am

Hey there Jill! How big is the Wild Republic/K&M Dingo? Can you snap a picture of it next to the Safari version? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 pm

thefaintsmile wrote:
Hey there Jill! How big is the Wild Republic/K&M Dingo? Can you snap a picture of it next to the Safari version? Thanks!
Quite big!

Back to top Go down
thefaintsmile

thefaintsmile

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 12:17 am

Damn, I was really liking the pose and sculpting, but it's definitely too big for my purpose.

Jill wrote:
thefaintsmile wrote:
Quite big!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jill's Dingo Collection    Jill's Dingo Collection  Empty

Back to top Go down

Jill's Dingo Collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next