Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+2
bmathison1972
Kikimalou
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 4:09 pm

TNG is a Chinese toy manufacturer that has recently made a name for itself with good quality prehistoric animals. The quality is undeniable but so is the controversy over the "ethics" of the brand.
Indeed, one can criticize TNG for "imitating" resin models or toys from other companies. This is obviuosly the case at least for Elasmotherium, Quetzalcoatlus, Monotherium and Cryolophosaurus.
This is also the case for the Stegodon which is directly inspired by the resin model by Studio Dinone.
I don't know if all this will have consequences on the future of TNG but let's focus on our Stegodon.
Although TNG doesn't specify the precise species of its toy, this is not the case of its "model" from Studio Dinone which represents a Huanghe Flumen Stegodon, a "Yellow River Elephant". Its fossil was discovered in southern Gansu province in China.
It is therefore one of the largest Stegodon, S. zdanskyi which measured 3.87m high. This therefore places our TNG just below the 1/40 scale (1/39.9 precisely).
Stegodon appeared in the Miocene and became extinct in the Indian subcontinent, mainland Southeast Asia and China by the end of the Late Pleistocene epoch, while Asian elephants, which existed in sympatry with Stegodon in these regions, are still extant.
Stegodons are known to have the same kind of teeth with plate-like lophs as modern elephants. Nevertheless, what is obvious aren't the teeth but the huge pair of tusks the animal presents to us.
Our friend already had the honors of Youtube as well as a topic on STS but I couldn't resist the pleasure of taking the newcomer under the spotlight and inflicting one more walkaround on STS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With his Buddy from TNG, the woolly Mammoth

With the Eofauna Konobelodon

With a contemporary of the Miocene, the PNSO deinotherium

With another contemporary, from the Pleistocene this time, the Asiatic elephant Britains which survived it... the elephant, not the Britains of course
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 4:23 pm

Mine arrived in the mail a couple days ago!

BTW there is no controversy over these figures. TNG worked directly with the artists that made the original sculpts, in an attempt to make cheaper PVC options available for people that do not want to buy high-end sculpture. They are not knock-offs!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 pm

Ok, but what about the quetzalcoatlus wich look a lot like the GRtoys one ?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 4:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

I don't know; I only know about this Stegodon and the other mammals
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 4:48 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I don't know; I only know about this Stegodon and the other mammals

Even in their official booth photos, TNG manages to slip in extant animal toys that are clearly Schleich. I would like to imagine that the German brand granted them molds of old models but I still strongly doubt it.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 5:38 pm

Very nice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 5:52 pm

This is such a drool worthy model... So many lovely details and features. Congratulations Kiki!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyThu Apr 06, 2023 6:29 pm

I've never heard of this brand before... These figures are beautiful! I love how it sizes with the konobeladon cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Apr 07, 2023 1:54 am

Great topic, Christophe. I love this fever around non mammoth elephants. Laughing
I enjoy so much to witness the diversity among proboscidians through the use of excellent toy animal interpretations.
Despite being at a smaller scale, it is a good candidat to join the EoFauna line. cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyFri Apr 07, 2023 8:43 pm

Thank you all Very Happy

Jolie, this is a brand new brand Laughing  I hope it will show us more beauties every year Very Happy

Rogério, even at 1/35 this guy would represent a 3m40 high at shoulders animal. Wink  I hope we will see more Proboscidians but also smaller ones like Moeritherium and kins.

I also have a secret hope to see some "ancient whales" from Pakicetus, Ambulocetus to Dorudon bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou   The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

The TNG Stegodon: A walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1