Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!

Go down 
+23
Stripedhyena
Saarlooswolfhound
Numa
Bloodrayne
Balaenoptera
Sergey
molla.nasreddin
Katy Leven
Bonnie
sunny
bjarki12
Brandubh94
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Taos
widukind
Joliezac
landrover
lucky luke
Caracal
Kikimalou
Ana
Jill
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 17, 2023 9:56 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 17, 2023 10:35 pm

Great family 😊 No CollectA ?
If you have time could you show a comparison picture of the Safari Ltd and the Southlands Replicas ? 😃
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 18, 2023 12:19 am

Thank you everyone!

Kiki, I haven't caught up on CollectA releases yet, but the new Koala is on the list. I will try to do some walkarounds of those two. I will be traveling the middle of next week for 7 days so it may be a while before I can get it done. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 18, 2023 12:32 am

Possums from down under. :)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fun fact, possums are only pregnant for about 17 days! Seems like a short time, but remember that they are born very "prematurely" compared to other mammal species.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 18, 2023 4:48 am

Kind of makes you wonder what makes placental 'better'/more successful than marsupial. Seems delivering early enough to avoid maternal harm/death (including being slowed up by a big belly) would be a plus. Since it generally seems best for a mom to survive to deliver again than for a baby to survive only a short time without a mom- or both to die, being able to unload in times of great danger would seem adaptive.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 18, 2023 10:22 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thank you everyone!

Kiki, I haven't caught up on CollectA releases yet, but the new Koala is on the list. I will try to do some  walkarounds of those two. I will be traveling the middle of next week for 7 days so it may be a while before I can get it done. :)

Don't worry, as said the sage to Tom Selleck (can't remember the movie) "The ox is slow but the mountain is patient"  Wink

No possums from America ?

pipsxlch wrote:
Kind of makes you wonder what makes placental 'better'/more successful than marsupial. Seems delivering early enough to avoid maternal harm/death (including being slowed up by a big belly) would be a plus. Since it generally seems best for a mom to survive to deliver again than for a baby to survive only a short time without a mom- or both to die, being able to unload in times of great danger would seem adaptive.

It is not known whether being a placental mammal is a decisive advantage over marsupials. The disappearance of the latter from the northern hordes in South America is perhaps due to contingency rather than to an "a priori" superiority.

In Australia, marsupial predators suffer from competition from cats, but the kangaroos have a good laugh about it.

This is a bit dated but you should re-read Stephen Jay Gould's "Panda's Thumb", I think there is an essay on it.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 19, 2023 1:49 am

Thank you, Christophe, I haven't read that one but I have enjoyed Gould's writings. I shall look for it.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptySat May 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Love the possums! Especially the little curly-que in the nayab's tail.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptySun May 21, 2023 9:57 am

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyMon May 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Man, I fell behind! While on my trip, since I should have a little extra time, I will do a few more frequent uploads to catch up.

Next are wombats, common and southern hairy-nosed respectively.

Fun fact... wombats have cube shaped feces. This is a result of how digested waste dries out inside their colon as well as the structural features of their colon (2 "sides" are non flexible, while 2 are flexible = creating the distinctive shape).

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 23, 2023 7:37 am

cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 23, 2023 8:44 pm

Thank you my friend! Very Happy

Next is Numbats! Here are my two.

Some fun facts, they eat termites and don't chew them, thus they do not have "proper" teeth (with cusps etc.) only blunt pegs. They also do not have a proper pouch for babies, only skin folds that sort of cover their suckling young (like other dasyurid/carnivorous marsupials).

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 23, 2023 9:39 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 23, 2023 10:37 pm

Nice pair, I prefer the Yowie but the Nayab isn't too bad, it's time to add the S&N Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyTue May 23, 2023 10:53 pm

That reminds me! Kiki, I do have (a) oppossums (the Safari transporting babies) but it will be presented with North America when I get to that category.

Thank you both!

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyWed May 24, 2023 10:05 pm

Wow the yowies usa numbat is marvellous cheers cheers

I want it .

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 25, 2023 7:09 am

Thank you Fernando!

Now my group for the platypus, perhaps one of the strangest animals ever! Fun fact, look up some of its extinct ancient relatives... you won't regret it :)

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 25, 2023 8:00 am

So many nice figures

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 25, 2023 8:06 am

Great family 🤗 the bigger one is a AAA ?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 25, 2023 10:34 am

Great to see comparisons from such an extensive collection!

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyThu May 25, 2023 3:55 pm

Thank you everyone! Kiki, the biggest one there is a nayab/wild republic mould (unsure which brands sold this figure). My only AAA is the puggle on the far right, bottom row.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 26, 2023 1:23 am

Echidna! A super strange animal in more ways than one... I think my favorite "fact" to share here is that they have very odd skeletons! Right up there in weirdness to the manatee skeleton for me!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 26, 2023 8:01 am

Indeed it would be fun to watch how a Paleoartist would sculpt a model based on the skeleton view only. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptyFri May 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Thats always a fun thing to ponder, looking at the skeleton for any animal and imagining how it may be reconstructed in the future. Look at Iguanodon for instance! Or Spinosaurus... bith have changed radically over time.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 EmptySat May 27, 2023 5:11 am

I missed a group of macropods... Quokkas!

My "fact" for these guys is thay, as cute and cuddly as they often appear, and despite being known as one of the "happiest" animals in the world, quokkas can still bite! It is probably best to just admire them from afar. Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   3 - The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next