Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!

Go down 
+23
Stripedhyena
Saarlooswolfhound
Numa
Bloodrayne
Balaenoptera
Sergey
Nasreddin
Katy Leven
Bonnie
sunny
bjarki12
Brandubh94
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Taos
widukind
Joliezac
landrover
lucky luke
Caracal
Kikimalou
Ana
Jill
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 12:45 am

Lovely turtles

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:21 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thank you everyone! @Kiki, I agree with your IDs but didn't feel comfortable enough to label them that myself. I guess the better label would have been "models not on TAW and ones I am uncomfortable to label myself". Palmface

The main problem with them is to identify the brand, if you have time to make some pics for TAW, I would add them. Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
And now, a rather small group for my collection (12 portraits altogether). Another group I know less about and so... I have a question. Is the term "Chelonians" or "Testudines" better for this group of turtles, tortoises, and terrapins? When I was in school both were used and the group was explained as being rather mysterious in its provenance due to the lack of fossil evidence to explain its evolution. Any info someone can share with me is appreciated.

In French we also have the two words to define this group, as far as I understand, Chelonians (order Chelonii) is used in the classic classification and Testudines in the phylogenetic one. What was very disconcerting for me was to discover that in English there were three terms for Testudines, turtle, tortoise and terrapin. In French we only use Tortue (where the word Turtle comes from), we have the Terrestrial turtles, the aquatic turtles and the marine turtles Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:25 am

I found this:
"Chelonians is a more general term used colloquially to refer to turtles, tortoises, and terrapins, Testudines is the formal taxonomic classification for the order to which these animals belong."

So they're basically the same.
In Portuguese language we also use both but we don't have equivalent words for turtle, tortoise and terrapin. We call most of them as tartarugas and we use cágado for a few freshwater species. A good example is the European pond turtle which is also known in English as European pond terrapin and European pond tortoise. So, these we can tell for sure they don't have a defined scientific meaning, somewhat like frogs and toads.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 10:49 am

Thank you everyone. So the words are essentially interchangeable, but Chelonia is the more correct.

Green Sea Turtles!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These guys are the largest hard-shelled turtles. They are unique amongst sea turtles because they are more herbivorous (eating seagrasses and algae). This is actually how they got their name; their diet makes their fat green! So it wasn't their shell color at all!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 5:36 pm

Curious fact: "I used to think that vegetables were called 'greens' because children turn green whenever their mothers put them on their plates. ;P
i would love to build a trio at 1:15 scale with the green, hawksbill and loggerhead.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 1:04 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 pm

Thank you everyone. :)

Here is a double post for missing yesterday. More species of sea turtles and some unidentified ones.

For sea turtles in general, their eggs' sex are temperature dependant. Cooler temps will produce more males, warmer will produce more females. If the nest is in an area with a high enough temperature swing, the clutch will be better mixed between the two sexes. Most females nest at night but Kemp's ridleys often nest during the daytime.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 11:27 pm

I missed these! Love sea turtles! Leatherbacks are my favorite. Wonderful groups cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 4:28 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 11:39 am

Nice shell parade Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 3:15 pm

cheers cheers cheers
With regards to names- in English,I was thought that tortoise is a land,turtle is marine and terrapin is semi aquatic freshwater. Smile

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 pm

Thank you everyone!

@Taylor, turtles get confusing in English I think because there is the dictionary definition and then the colloquial definition. For me for instance, growing up, a tortoise was a land turtle (easily identified by their feet) and a turtle was anything aquatic. Terrapin didn't exist for me until highschool age. The actual dictionary definitions though, you are 100% right in your comment.

Galápagos tortoises!

I am sure this is a generalization but something I learned is that the tortoises in more humid environments have dome shaped shells; these don't allow for the extension of the neck, so these guys are more ground level grazers. Drier environments have 'saddle-backed" shell tortoises; these shells have an upturned lip that allow the neck to be raised more and they can nibble of taller plants. Lastly, the drier climate dwelling species eat Galápagos cactus... ones with 2-3 inch thorns!!! I don't know how they do it! It looks like it would be painful but it doesn't bother them one bit.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 1:03 am

Great Very Happy What is the little green one in the foreground ?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 11:17 am

That is the US Yowies model. Series 2 I think? It was one of the harder ones to find.

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 11:23 am

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 2:43 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 8:08 am

Thank you my friends. :)

The remaining tortoises!

The oldest tortoise recorded was believed to be 175 years old! She was collected by Charles Darwin (THE Darwin) and later ended up at Australia Zoo in Queensland. She passed in 2006.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 11:44 am

Great family portrait again. Very Happy

I have a soft spot for the two Yowies drunken

It's incredible to think that in Australia, I could have met a tortoise who had known Darwin Shocked
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 12:29 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It's incredible to think that in Australia, I could have met a tortoise who had known Darwin Shocked

Right?! Crazy that she lived to be nearly 200 years old. The oldest known animal on record is a clam at 507. A greenland shark (female) was tested to be 400 years old. And there are plenty of other animals in the 100-200 year old range. Oldest living land mammals currently are 65 year old gorillas (there is a bowhead whale at 211!). *this all excludes humans of course*

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 12:50 pm

Unfortunately I don't speak Clam Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 10:34 pm

Me neither; guess we miss out on the secrets of the universe. Wink

Now, some proper turtles.

Mata mata are some of my favorites as they are just so weird looking! Tonight I learned that they have filamentous spines in their throat; no one is sure what purpose they provide but theories include grasping prey items. Their weird skin flaps are also super nerve sensitive, making them experts at "seeing" their surroundings (like prey) without using their eyesight!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 am

Mata mata , I love the name cheers

What brand is your lovely big one ? Imperial ? Larami ?

A pic or two for TAW ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 4:10 am

Here is a great species to be included in the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures series.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am

Roger wrote:
Here is a great species to be included in the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures series.

Indeed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 11:28 am

That big one was part of a set of chinamal type turtles. The advertising on the bag said Banks School Supply Inc. I assume it uses moulds from companies like Nayab. It had 6 models in it, a Galapagos tortoise, the mata, two softshells (next), a snapping turtle and some other turtle. If we want to add pics for TAW I am happy to do so.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next