Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!

Go down 
+23
Stripedhyena
Saarlooswolfhound
Numa
Bloodrayne
Balaenoptera
Sergey
molla.nasreddin
Katy Leven
Bonnie
sunny
bjarki12
Brandubh94
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Taos
widukind
Joliezac
landrover
lucky luke
Caracal
Kikimalou
Ana
Jill
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 pm

Great to see all these turtle and tortoise species. Sometimes hard to tell which species they are, though the leatherbacks are obvious. Interesting information about the Darwin tortoise!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 5:40 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
That big one was part of a set of chinamal type turtles. The advertising on the bag said Banks School Supply Inc. I assume it uses moulds from companies like Nayab. It had 6 models in it, a Galapagos tortoise, the mata, two softshells (next), a snapping turtle and some other turtle. If we want to add pics for TAW I am happy to do so.

Of course I would be happy cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Nice turtles again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 7:09 pm

Thank you everyone. :) @Kiki, I will work on pics for TAW.

Softshells!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are my favorite group with this category. They are just odd looking animals to me I find them endearing. Something I just learned is that these guys use both pharyngeal and cloacal breathing. These animals can stay submerged for hours on end and use these methods to continue harvesting oxygen while waiting for prey to swim by.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:31 pm

Excellent collection! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 10:13 pm

Those are really cool turtles.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 am

Nice again

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 11:09 am

Nice tribe Paige  Very Happy  The Safari 160605 Soft Shell Turtle is one more great miss for me  Palmface  I still don't understand why I didn't catch it when it was still available.
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
These are my favorite group with this category. They are just odd looking animals to me I find them endearing. Something I just learned is that these guys use both pharyngeal and cloacal breathing. These animals can stay submerged for hours on end and use these methods to continue harvesting oxygen while waiting for prey to swim by.

It's a good thing we humans haven't inherited the same opportunities, because swimming pools and days at the seaside would look a lot different! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 3:13 pm

Thank you everyone!

Snapping turtles!

Part of the reason these animals have such a reputation is because their body proportions are very different from other turtles. Their shell and plastron are rather small compared to the actual body, preventing them from being able to withdraw their extremeties into safety. Because of this, it is thought they developed their well known "bite first- ask questions later" aggression.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

I like the turtle with red head.

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 6:31 pm

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 3:11 pm

Thank you both. That flashy snapper is quite popular it seems!

Mixed turtles!
Red eared sliders are one of the world's most common pets in the trade because they are cheap and typically easy to handle. However, they have become highly invasive as well. They pose a salmonella risk to humans if their tank isn't properly cleaned or filtered (owners should also make sure to wash their hands well after handling the animal or its aquatic habitat).

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 3:58 pm

Wonderful collection again.I had a Red eared terrapin when I was younger but I had to find a new home for him as my mother said his tank stank even though I had a filter and cleaned it out regularly! Smile

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 4:37 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 5:40 pm

landrover wrote:
I like the turtle with red head.

I love also the ones with green and yellow heads Very Happy

And the Larami Alabama Map Turtle drunken
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 12:03 am

Thank you everyone. And I'm sorry Taylor! I do think turtles have a certain odor that's not necessarily linked to uncleanliness... same for some other animals too but, I'm sorry you had to rehome your little friend.

More mixed turtles! In fact, this is the end of all my chelonians. I am doing a double post as I have gotten sick again and have found it hard to look screens for any length of time.

Despite the golden coin turtle being a sign of good fortune and prosperity, they are also viewed as an animal whose parts can cure cancer... thus this turtle has suffered a lot of misfortune due to these unsubstantiated claims.

And for a generic turtle fact, the group of softshelled turtles are the first known of the modern chelonians found in the fossil record!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 5:14 am

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 am

I hope you have a speedy recovery, Paige. Speedy is not a word to use when the subject is about turtles but I really hope you get better soon.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 5:54 am

Thank you Roger, and indeed I am. :)

Here are some updates. These ARE up on the website, but I did not get a chance to update them within this thread. That is the project for this week.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 6:34 pm

And now we begin our reptile adventure!

American alligators!

These guys have proven smarter than they may look. Wild gators have been observed balancing bracken and sticks on their heads to entice nesting birds to approach. They then make a strike attempt! Pretty ingenious to outsmart the birds preoccupied with nest building.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Are the squirrels repainted? And what brand is the the smaller prairie dog?

Many beautieful treasures :)

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 pm

Beautiful collection!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Jill

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 10:03 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
And now, a rather small group for my collection (12 portraits altogether). Another group I know less about and so... I have a question. Is the term "Chelonians" or "Testudines" better for this group of turtles, tortoises, and terrapins? When I was in school both were used and the group was explained as being rather mysterious in its provenance due to the lack of fossil evidence to explain its evolution. Any info someone can share with me is appreciated.
Chelonian is extant turtles, and Testudines is all turtles, including the extinct ones. :)

I am sorry to have missed all these reptile posts, but your turtles and alligators are amazing! Some really cool figures I've never seen in here. I love the softshells, I had no idea so many existed. I also have a soft spot for the snappers.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 27, 2024 2:05 am

Paige they all look great in their family groups!
What is the tall thin maned wolf at the front? Such an unusual yet elegant model.
And what make is the eating pronghorn at the front right? First time I've seen an eating pronghorn model.
Do you not have the white Kinder wolf figure? like the grey one (top left in your pic) with the left paw raised
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 EmptyTue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 am

Thank you everyone!

@Andreas, yes those are custom Kaibab and Abert squirrels. The smaller prairie dog is Safari ltd. from their desert toob(?) but I repainted it long ago so that is not the original finish.

@Taylor, thank you my friend. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thank you! Those terms have always been a bit confusing to me. I am quite proud of my softshell collection, even missing several exemplary Japanese models.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], that is the Colorata maned wolf, small New Ray pronghorn (they also made a larger standing figure behind it as well as the running one on the homemade stand).

I DO have the white Kinder model but I have not added it to my Arctic wolf family portrait yet. Thank you for reminding me!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons! - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Griffons!
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next