Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 5:31 pm

Name: Schleich Polar bear- Iorek
          Papo  Standing Polar Bear – North Star
Papo Polar Bear – Sven

Figure Brand: Schleich & Papo

Figure Name(s): Schleich Polar bear (14800)
Papo  Standing Polar Bear (50172)
Papo Polar Bear (50142)

Sex: Males

Year Made: Iorek the Schleich Polar bear- 2018
          North Star the Papo Standing Polar Bear – 2015
Sven the Papo Polar Bear – 2013

Observations/Thoughts:
I love these polar bears, though I must admit, I think Papo do them a good bit better and more realistic. The reason I think this is because of the posing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sven, the Papo bear has a dynamic pose, with one front paw forward, making it look like he’s walking over the ice sheets, prowling and on the hunt, whereas North Star, the standing bear is in a cool, upright pose which I really like a lot with my bear models, as they do do this, though it’s not seen all that often in animal figurines I think?

Because of this I prefer the Papo polar bears a lot more, they have much better sculpts and poses, but that’s not to say I don’t like Iorek the Schleich polar bear either:
I just wish his pose wasn’t the typical, standing kind of thing. I wish he had more movement, instead of the standing, looking forward etc. He’s also a skinnier looking polar bear, I like mine far more muscular and powerful, though maybe that could become a story beat…? I also called him Iorek, after the polar bear from Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass series.

My favourite however is North Star the standing polar bear. I call him North Star because he's so tall and strong when he stands up, he looks like he could swipe a star out of the sky. Bears in general can be very terrifying when they stand up, so North Star is a fierce, powerful looking one.

Rating: Iorek the Schleich Polar bear- 3/5
          North Star the Papo Standing Polar Bear – 5/5
Sven the Papo Polar Bear – 4/5
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 7:03 pm

The standing bear is my favourite too. North Star is a great name!

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 7:08 pm

Thank you rogerpgvg, I love his name too
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptySat Jul 15, 2023 11:37 pm

I would rank these figures in the same manner. Papo polar bears are defintely more realistic and the standing one is the most impressive. Schleich also released a standing polar bear a long time ago, I've always liked it although I've never gotten it because retired Schleich figures were not cheap at all. I also love the Wild Safari walking polar bear, it was my favorite until the release of the Papo standing one.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptySun Jul 16, 2023 8:00 am

Thanks Roger, I totally agree, and yknow I always feel as soon as a figure is retired, for me, it's immediately impossible to get so it might as well be nonexistent for me. They're crazy expensive online!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptyTue Jul 25, 2023 7:25 pm

Nice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  EmptyTue Jul 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Thanks Widukind!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears    Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Papo and Schleich Polar Bears
Page 1 of 1