Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons

Go down 
+8
Kikimalou
widukind
bmathison1972
molla.nasreddin
Katy Leven
Roger
lucky luke
Joliezac
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons Empty
PostSubject: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 1:30 am

Another new Safari release, the mountain lion!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Like many others on the forum, I never felt like I had the "Perfect" mountain lion. I'm not sure if this new Safari one is *the* mountain lion, but to me it gets pretty close. In my opinion this is the new best mountain lion on the market. The sculpt and paintwork is done very well. I like the details on the face of the old Papo one more, but the sculpt and size I'm not too impressed with. I like the skin folds on Safari's and the face is detailed and not sloppy. Granted I do not have Mojo's or Schleich's old mountain lions, but here are comparisons with my others.

From left to right: Safari, Safari, Schleich, Papo, Papo

In my opinion it has one of the nicest faces

With Safari's previous mountain lion

Schleich's from last year, a figure I was quite happy with

Papo

Old Papo

Honestly my biggest complaint about this figure is the price tag. Luckily I get a discount at work but it retails for over $14! So this figure may not be worth it if you have many other mountain lions. But if not I highly recommend it, it's a great figure cheers Very pleased with Safari this year.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 7:48 am

Thank you Jolie for this beautiful comparison, magnificent figure cheers flower Applause drunken
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 9:57 am

I was really looking forward to this walk around! Very Happy I definitely like this figure; it's the best mountain lion figure in this category. I think only the front legs should be less bulky, but everything else seems perfect. The proportions are very realistic, with very long back legs, just as it should be, something Schleich missed, for instance. The head/face looks good, and I love felines in a walking pose. I would also prefer it to be slightly smaller, but the size is still acceptable. I can't ignore the fact that it is quite overpriced. Even if it's better than its counterparts, selling it for over 10 dollars doesn't seem fair to me. I don't know if the development of this figure required a bigger investment, but I hope such high prices don't become the norm.
Can I ask for two more pictures, please? One showing a close-up of the back of the ears and another showing it alongside the Papo lioness.

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 11:03 am

Thank you for this comparison!
I really like him. He has a nice pose and colouring and I like him much more than the older one (his face looks nicer to me).
The price is not something I am happy about, let's see how much he'll cost in Europe.
Otherwise he seems to be a great model!
A little slightly random question: Does the newer Papo cougar have a specified gender or is it a simply a genderless model?
Back to top Go down
molla.nasreddin

molla.nasreddin

Country/State : Iran

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 1:40 pm

Why any of major brands can't make the mountain lion's face close to its reality?
I'm really sorry for designers of this beautiful cat that make it like a kid painting😔
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Very nice, but I am sticking with my older Safari!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Roger wrote:
I was really looking forward to this walk around! Very Happy I definitely like this figure; it's the best mountain lion figure in this category. I think only the front legs should be less bulky, but everything else seems perfect. The proportions are very realistic, with very long back legs, just as it should be, something Schleich missed, for instance. The head/face looks good, and I love felines in a walking pose. I would also prefer it to be slightly smaller, but the size is still acceptable. I can't ignore the fact that it is quite overpriced. Even if it's better than its counterparts, selling it for over 10 dollars doesn't seem fair to me. I don't know if the development of this figure required a bigger investment, but I hope such high prices don't become the norm.
Can I ask for two more pictures, please? One showing a close-up of the back of the ears and another showing it alongside the Papo lioness.

Really not sure why the price is so high on this one. At the store we paid about $7 for it so we double the prices. So it was a $14 figure, same as the tuatara.. I've noticed a slow increase in prices with Safari's figures of course due to inflation, but this one seems unreasonably high. I would imagine it would be even more expensive overseas.

And sure I can take a photo of the back of the ears, although I don't have the Papo lioness Embarassed I have all the Safari lions and a few from Schleich though? Or I can take a photo with some other cat.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 3:27 pm

Katy Leven wrote:
I really like him. He has a nice pose and colouring and I like him much more than the older one (his face looks nicer to me).
The price is not something I am happy about, let's see how much he'll cost in Europe.
A little slightly random question: Does the newer Papo cougar have a specified gender or is it a simply a genderless model?

Don't see any indication of a gender on the Papo one.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 4:06 pm

Joliezac wrote:
Roger wrote:

Really not sure why the price is so high on this one. At the store we paid about $7 for it so we double the prices. So it was a $14 figure, same as the tuatara.. I've noticed a slow increase in prices with Safari's figures of course due to inflation, but this one seems unreasonably high. I would imagine it would be even more expensive overseas.

And sure I can take a photo of the back of the ears, although I don't have the Papo lioness Embarassed I have all the Safari lions and a few from Schleich though? Or I can take a photo with some other cat.

How is it possible? No Papo lioness? Laughing That figure is the starting point for my collection and I regret not having the original one I bought although my sample is not bad. Don't you like it or you just didn't find one with a satisfatory painting finish?
I don't have Safari lions, could you please photograph it with a Schleich lioness or the Safari jaguar?

widukind

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 4:09 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 09, 2023 6:52 pm

Roger wrote:
Joliezac wrote:
Roger wrote:

How is it possible? No Papo lioness? Laughing That figure is the starting point for my collection and I regret not having the original one I bought although my sample is not bad. Don't you like it or you just didn't find one with a satisfatory painting finish?
I don't have Safari lions, could you please photograph it with a Schleich lioness or the Safari jaguar?

I know I know… unfortunately I didn’t find out about Papo or CollectA animals until I was a teen (since Papo and CollectA I’ve never been able to find locally except for dinosaurs). So by the time I was ordering online there were no longer original batches. I really love all the Papo lions but I haven’t been able to find one with a reasonable paint job.

I can take comparison pics with the jaguar and Schleich lion though

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 4:16 pm

Joliezac wrote:
Katy Leven wrote:

Thank you!
That's great news. I can use it as a female then. Now I only need some of the brands to make a cub...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 8:44 pm

It is really impossible to find original batches or at least early batches of the Papo lioness buying it mint new. You need to find a good 2nd hand one.

Katy Leven wrote:
Joliezac wrote:
Katy Leven wrote:

Thank you!
That's great news. I can use it as a female then. Now I only need some of the brands to make a cub...

Bullyland released a puma youngster but it is hard to find. You can see it here. Very Happy

Katy Leven

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 9:09 pm

Roger wrote:
It is really impossible to find original batches or at least early batches of the Papo lioness buying it mint new. You need to find a good 2nd hand one.

Katy Leven wrote:
Joliezac wrote:
Katy Leven wrote:

Thank you!

Bullyland released a puma youngster but it is hard to find. You can see it here. Very Happy
Oh, it's really sweet! But probably too hard to find for me unfortunately. Hopefully we'll see a new one in the next years.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 10:01 pm

Same I also want a cub.. Haven't been able to find the Bullyland one

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 10:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here is the mountain lion with the Schleich & Safari lioness and Safari Jaguar.

And here is the back of the head:

Animal Ark Website

Last edited by Joliezac on Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 11:01 pm

An excellent cougar, thank you for showing Very Happy

Until this one my favorite was still the oldest Papo, nevertheless I will add the new Safari Ltd even if it is pricey.

I guess it could be a 1/15 scaled cougar, could you tell us the head&body lenght please ?

Maybe I would repaint a bit the head. scratch
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
An excellent cougar, thank you for showing Very Happy

Until this one my favorite was still the oldest Papo, nevertheless I will add the new Safari Ltd even if it is pricey.

I guess it could be a 1/15 scaled cougar, could you tell us the head&body lenght please ?

Maybe I would repaint a bit the head. scratch

The older Papo one was also my favorite until now. It is a fairly large sized figure at least which justifies the price a little bit.

It is 5.5 cm tall and 14 cm long

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 11:07 pm

Thanks so much for these comparison pictures, Jolie! Very Happy
They're really useful although a little cruel for those who want a cougar roughly at the same scale as the standard sized feline figures. The comparisons with the Schleich lioness and the Safari jaguar are particularly illucidative about the large size of this model.
Though, the comparison with the Safari lioness is not so cruel and it also shows how the sculptor of this puma captured competently the differences of a puma and other felines. This one does not look like a lioness as it happens often.

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 11:11 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks so much for these comparison pictures, Jolie! Very Happy
They're really useful although a little cruel for those who want a cougar roughly at the same scale as the standard sized feline figures. The comparisons with the Schleich lioness and the Safari jaguar are particularly illucidative about the large size of this model.
Though, the comparison with the Safari lioness is not so cruel and it also shows how the sculptor of this puma captured competently the differences of a puma and other felines. This one does not look like a lioness as it happens often.

One of the reasons I like the Safari lions so much is because they were nice and big, so they actually were larger than most of my other cats.

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySun Sep 10, 2023 11:17 pm

Christophe's speculation isn't correct, it is probably between 1/11 and 1/14.

Thank you for your help Jolie cheers
Back to top Go down
Saien

Saien

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 7:24 pm

Beautiful model and super comparison, thank you! cheers Applause

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptyTue Sep 12, 2023 12:15 am

many thanks for this turnaround and comparative pictures Jolie! cheers cheers

It is undoubtly a good model but a little too big to my taste.
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 16, 2023 9:36 am

It looks like a real puma! cheers

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons EmptySat Sep 16, 2023 2:55 pm

What a great looking mountain lion! I think it is one of the best ones out there yet! Very Happy
Great photos!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons   2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons Empty

Back to top Go down

2023 Safari Mountain Lion Walkaround With Comparisons
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next