Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A good year for lemmings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

A good year for lemmings Empty
PostSubject: A good year for lemmings   A good year for lemmings EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 pm

... or a really bad one, depending on your point of view.
Every so often, the lemming (Lemmus lemmus) population rises to unsustainable levels, and they start migrating. There is currently 5 dead lemmings within a 5 meter radius of my front door, and I live right smack downtown! The neighborhood cats are having the time of their life...
The first lemming I saw on monday, and it was perfectly intact apart from a small puncture in the neck. However, things have rapidly escalated and the other four show significant damage - one being reduced to an isolated nose and dentary with an associated paw and hindquarters that may or may not belong to this particular animal.
Am I weird to be so fascinated by this phenomenon? Probably... but like I said, I live downtown and don't see a lot of nature. Embarassed

Last edited by Sumo on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Full species name added)
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: A good year for lemmings   A good year for lemmings EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 pm

well, then we're both weird, because i would be fascinated too.

i can imagine all these Norwegian cats going, "noms, noms" :)

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A good year for lemmings   A good year for lemmings EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

That IS really fascinating, Sumo, - but also quite scary What a Face
I hope there are not so many that they are becomming a hygienic problem ?

I have seen on TV how they just run and run...some run into the water and drown, and others step on them...yough !

Very Happy Talking about parts of rodents...some years ago I got up a warm, lovely summer morning and put my bare feet in my clogs to go out for the Paper, - and there was HALF a mouse in one of them affraid pale affraid
I love cats, but NOT that morning cat Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: A good year for lemmings   A good year for lemmings EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Oh, I doubt they'll be a problem - the sheer number of cats (and tiny yappy dogs for that matter) should rule that out.
A friend of mine who lives in the "country" - ie a few miles outside town - gets regular presents of mice from her kitteh. I visited her monday, and what do you know, all of a sudden there was a head, a paw, and some assorted viscera on the hall carpet. Still, she only gets mice - lemmings are way bigger and angrier, so I maintain "my" cats are tougher! cat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good year for lemmings   A good year for lemmings Empty

Back to top Go down

A good year for lemmings
Page 1 of 1