Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help about an specific horse coat

Go down 
+3
Silver Unicornis
SUSANNE
SyLoBe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

Need help about an specific horse coat Empty
PostSubject: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello!

I´m trying to find some info about one specific horse coat, but I´m finding it really difficult bcause I don´t now the name in English.

The coat I´m looking for is called in Spanish "overo" or "entrepelado blanco". And no, it´s not the same as the overo pattern, also called frame. The overo I mean is not a pinto pattern.

We call overo when a horse have white hairs mixed on its coat, like roan, but including head and legs. The horse is born with the white hairs and it´s not modified with age.

I would like to know the name in English to be able to do a better search :)

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I know what you mean, - we call it "Stikkelhåret", but that does not help you a thing scratch

My search for the colour on the net only resulted in articles stating that the heredity is not determined, - and that some people call Roan grey and Stikkelhåret roan geek

Hopefully you find something.

In Iceys the "colour" appears now and then as a sort of mutation, but it seem not to be heredity, - or perhaps it is a combination of sevral genes, like the Knabstrubber/appaloosa-colours Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:59 pm

I've found something, which may help :)
There's a page called The Equine Tapestry - the author writes about various colours and patters, often unusual, and about their possible genetic background.
In this post: *click* she writes about so-called sabino roans - roaning all over the body (or almost) caused by the gene called Sabino 1.
Roaning all over the body may be also caused by combination of two genes - Roan and Sabino 1.
Maybe that's what's called "overo" in Spanish?

Some examples of sabino roans:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Fantastic cheers

I can`t wait to get her book either bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:34 pm

I just hope her book will be available in Europe bounce

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:09 am

Maybe you´re right, Magda :) The 3rd horse you posted, the silvery one who seems to be a bay "spanish overo", is very similar to the mare I know, lots and lots of white hairs and only few colored hairs in the coat, in an homogeneus way.

What book are you talking about?

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 pm

We're talking about the book written by the author of The Equine Tapestry page - she's going to release some books about horse colours and their genetic background.

I wrote about it in my first post here but it seems I accidentally deleted that sentence while editing the post. scratch

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
SchleichHorsesForever

SchleichHorsesForever

Country/State : The Netherlands/Drenthe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm

in Holland we call it 'Stekelharig' which means 'Spike-haired' I don't know the official english term Sad

Back to top Go down
http://www.everyoneweb.com/equiartrepainting
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

SchleichHorsesForever wrote:
in Holland we call it 'Stekelharig' which means 'Spike-haired' I don't know the official english term Sad

Great Very Happy 'Stekelharig', - almost the same as Danish "Stikkelhåret" cheers
Back to top Go down
SchleichHorsesForever

SchleichHorsesForever

Country/State : The Netherlands/Drenthe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:47 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
SchleichHorsesForever wrote:

Great Very Happy 'Stekelharig', - almost the same as Danish "Stikkelhåret" cheers

Yes, just the same case of Fox-coloured Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.everyoneweb.com/equiartrepainting
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm

The blog is really interesting, and I´d love to have those books! So are they published or not yet? :)

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:07 pm

SyLoBe wrote:
The blog is really interesting, and I´d love to have those books! So are they published or not yet? :)
They are not published yet. The first one was supposed to come out in summer but there was a delay - the author wrote on Fallen-Leaves forum that the book should be out by the end of the year, and that it will cover draft and carriage breeds :) I have no information about release dates of the next books, nor do I know how many of them will be.

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

I see! Well, if you have any new info tell us! I´m pretty interested on them :)

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Very interesting! I also would love to get that book, please send us info Magda Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Sure, as soon as I get to know anything, I will let you all know :)

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:10 pm

And the coat you are talking about.. What color are the nose and the eyes supposed to be?
At first I thought about DW (dominant white), but I suppose it's not that you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
http://y-cyhiraeth.deviantart.com/
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 pm

While we're (oh so impatiently) waiting for the new book, Sponenberg is one of the better authors on equine color genetics. One disadvantage is that his book is quite sparsely illustrated. Gower's Horse color explained is better wrt pictures, but definitely aimed at the breeding/showing crowd. I'm sure - no, I know from years of following her - Lesli's book will be among the most complete and accessible texts on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Sumo wrote:
I'm sure - no, I know from years of following her - Lesli's book will be among the most complete and accessible texts on the subject.
I'm following her for much shorter time but I have the same feeling :)
She also recommended some German books about equine coat colours (HERE) - I'm tempted to buy those, even if my German is very poor and the books are quite costly Razz

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:02 pm

The eyes and the skin are dark :)

About the German books... Well, I don´t understand a word in German, so I´ll have to wait until they are avaliable in English or Spanish!

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help about an specific horse coat   Need help about an specific horse coat Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help about an specific horse coat
Page 1 of 1