Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 
 

 2012 African Elephants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Suebeedo



Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA
Age : 62
Joined : 2010-06-27
Posts : 952

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't really care about the scale. Each animal is unique. I don't make dioramas or things like that. I don't mind if they are not at the right scale. And, as said before, it would be too difficult (and expensive) to make everything in scale when you go from a tiny meerkat to a giant whale...
Everyone has his own idea of realism. For example, we could also discuss the realism when people keep huge tags on their figurines. \

lol!

I only know that for resale the figures are more valuable if they have the tag. Though I'd love to take it off, I haven't quite figured out the best way to keep the tags without losing them... geek drunken No Laughing so am still working on that.

~ Sue
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin


Country/State : Portugal
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 20252

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I don't really care about the scale. Each animal is unique. I don't make dioramas or things like that. I don't mind if they are not at the right scale. And, as said before, it would be too difficult (and expensive) to make everything in scale when you go from a tiny meerkat to a giant whale...

On the photo, my favourite is the Schleich one. I agree that his legs and head might not have the good dimensions, but the realism of a figurine does not ONLY consists in its scale/dimensions. The texture, the details of the skin, the color of the skin and tusks are also very important to me. Everyone has his own idea of realism. For example, we could also discuss the realism when people keep huge tags on their figurines.

I agree it is quite strange to change the scale for the same model, the stork and pelican if I understand correctly.

I agree with you in almost everything. I only think that the proportions are really important. Elephants are easily recognisable species and wrong proportions don't make them less recognisable. But, I understand what you're saying about realism. The Papo jaguar looks much more realistic than the Schleich jaguar. Better textured, muscles nicely sculpted and looks alive, it gives him a realistic looking. The Schleich looks a textureless pebble with a siny painting and without action. But the proportions of the Schleich figure are more according to a jaguar while the Papo are more to a leopard. Which one I have? The Schleich figure. I want a replica of a jaguar and not a beautiful replica of a leopard painted like a jaguar. cat
What I really don't care is with the brand. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28275

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Roger, I just LOVE your reasoning cheers Laughing Laughing cheers

Eeeek, Sue, I used to rip the tags off, and was very happy even if I knew the models would loose value.
But seing the enormous difference in price between the ones with tag and the ones without, I must admit, that now I only take the tag off the small ones. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Whenever I take a tag off, it breaks.
Or glues together.
Or one of the cats begin chewing at it, - or it disapears, or....darned tags !!!!! Suspect

Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Arnaud



Country/State : France
Age : 31
Joined : 2011-11-25
Posts : 622

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:24 pm

I know and understand your point of view Roger ! I was just trying to explain why I like these new Schleich elephants. When I first look at them, I don't notice the wrong proportions but the good color and the numerous details. Everyone has his own perception. And if we were able to buy other brands than Schleich and Papo in France, I would probably already have bought some.

As for the tag, what I don't really understand is why people want to keep their figurines more valuable ? Does that mean that those who keep the tag on buy their figurines thinking that they will probably sell them later ? Of course, people do what they want !! It's just me acting differently : I need so much time to choose each figurine in shops (I usually buy 8-10 figurines at once and it can take me up to 45 min to choose them...) and I'm so happy to have them on my desk or bed table, I don't even think one second about selling them ! If I needed money, I would sell everything else before ! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Vivien



Country/State : Germany
Age : 18
Joined : 2011-10-10
Posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I know and understand your point of view Roger ! I was just trying to explain why I like these new Schleich elephants. When I first look at them, I don't notice the wrong proportions but the good color and the numerous details. Everyone has his own perception. And if we were able to buy other brands than Schleich and Papo in France, I would probably already have bought some.

As for the tag, what I don't really understand is why people want to keep their figurines more valuable ? Does that mean that those who keep the tag on buy their figurines thinking that they will probably sell them later ? Of course, people do what they want !! It's just me acting differently : I need so much time to choose each figurine in shops (I usually buy 8-10 figurines at once and it can take me up to 45 min to choose them...) and I'm so happy to have them on my desk or bed table, I don't even think one second about selling them ! If I needed money, I would sell everything else before ! lol! lol!
lol! lol! I totally agree with you,Arnaud,I never leave the tag on. :)
Back to top Go down
bojan



Country/State : slovenia
Age : 39
Joined : 2012-01-04
Posts : 1020

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I know and understand your point of view Roger ! I was just trying to explain why I like these new Schleich elephants. When I first look at them, I don't notice the wrong proportions but the good color and the numerous details. Everyone has his own perception. And if we were able to buy other brands than Schleich and Papo in France, I would probably already have bought some.

As for the tag, what I don't really understand is why people want to keep their figurines more valuable ? Does that mean that those who keep the tag on buy their figurines thinking that they will probably sell them later ? Of course, people do what they want !! It's just me acting differently : I need so much time to choose each figurine in shops (I usually buy 8-10 figurines at once and it can take me up to 45 min to choose them...) and I'm so happy to have them on my desk or bed table, I don't even think one second about selling them ! If I needed money, I would sell everything else before ! lol! lol!
lol! lol! I totally agree with you,Arnaud,I never leave the tag on. :)


I also agree with you Arnaud and Vivien! I can't wait to take the tag off and make an animal all mine and just mine! lol!

_________________
Bojan
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin


Country/State : Portugal
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 20252

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

I like to see that a figure is wanted and loved forever and not only kept to be sold in a higher value. :)
I really appreciate it. This is what I call a hard collector. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Anyway there are many other reasons to collectors keep the tags, mainly those who buy online. But it you can see browsing the topics of this forum. :)
Back to top Go down
landrover



Country/State : colombia
Age : 59
Joined : 2010-11-04
Posts : 1984

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I am sorry, Sur, I don`t have the Indian elefants from Papo. Crying or Very sad
Perhaps somebody else can make a picture with comparison ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]


This picture should be in a photo competition. Is marvelous
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28275

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Thankyou very much Fernando Embarassed drunken Very Happy

It was pure luck Laughing
But they do look funny geek Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
HKHollinstone
Moderator


Country/State : England, CUMBRIA
Age : 24
Joined : 2010-03-30
Posts : 11310

PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I know and understand your point of view Roger ! I was just trying to explain why I like these new Schleich elephants. When I first look at them, I don't notice the wrong proportions but the good color and the numerous details. Everyone has his own perception. And if we were able to buy other brands than Schleich and Papo in France, I would probably already have bought some.

As for the tag, what I don't really understand is why people want to keep their figurines more valuable ? Does that mean that those who keep the tag on buy their figurines thinking that they will probably sell them later ? Of course, people do what they want !! It's just me acting differently : I need so much time to choose each figurine in shops (I usually buy 8-10 figurines at once and it can take me up to 45 min to choose them...) and I'm so happy to have them on my desk or bed table, I don't even think one second about selling them ! If I needed money, I would sell everything else before ! lol! lol!
lol! lol! I totally agree with you,Arnaud,I never leave the tag on. :)


I also agree with you Arnaud and Vivien! I can't wait to take the tag off and make an animal all mine and just mine! lol!
I always take the tags off, I didn't use to but since I was told the tag can damage the figurine I always remove it. I usually try and take a photo with tag first to put on my blogsite.

_________________
Harriet
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 2012 African Elephants   Today at 12:08 am

Back to top Go down
 
2012 African Elephants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» For Robert : The PAPO's african elephants
» Kony 2012: Stop The African War
» Mojo 2012 - African wild dog
» African savannah at night (Martin Dohrn)
» African Bush Elephant model

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: