Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)

Go down 
+12
LeeAnn
unwissendbisgehtnicht
widukind
aandmkw
krista
Saarlooswolfhound
Taos
Ana
MartinH
Takama
Roger
SUSANNE
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) Empty
PostSubject: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

From Torben`s huge collection I was fortunate to win this old Safari catalogue !
It is tremendously interesting IMHO, and I so much want to share with you all.
But it is A4 format, and my old scanner is SO sloooooooow, so I have scanned most of the pages with animal models, and a couple of samples of the more strange stuff  Laughing

Also the index. Should you be interested in a specific page, I can scan one or two more, but please do not ask me to scan it all. This already took me most of 3 hours  Wink

Anyway, - I hope you also find it entertaining to see pictures from the childhood of Safari LTD  alien

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Page 2 : Index :

Page 3 : Authentics...and THE FIRST VW  cheers

I have never seen those three old families before, so here are larger pictures  Very Happy

The next two pages are the well known Carnegie prehistoric, so I skip those .

Look ! Safari also sold the faithful old AAA-models  Very Happy

The first Authentics as erasers  Laughing

Surprise, surprise !!! The prehistoric friends from British Museum cheers

Schleich minis  Very Happy

And Schleich farm animals !

Aren`t those farm critters below from Toy Major ?

Now I jump forward. There are 6 pages of wooden stuff: dino-skeletons for assembly. Aeroplanes Dice, a castle, a little zoo etc etc

And 11 pages of cards with all from space, art, presidents, and minerals to bunces of animals. I read somewhere that there are over 8000 different ones, in case somebody want to collect them  Rolling Eyes
Here from page 27 :

Then page up and page down with rulers, stickers, posters, puzzles etc, etc.

Here one of the more weird ones : A Grandfather clock  cheers

The backside  Wink

Last edited by SUSANNE on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Susanne, thanks for another great contribution. That is very interesting even there is a kid strangulating a crocodile. affraid Many interesting figures and connections. Very Happy

Takama

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 pm

How and when did Safari get the rights to the Invicta Line?

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 am

Laughing Laughing Roger, don`t be scared, - they are just playing Laughing

Takama, perhaps somebody could ask Safari ?

MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

SUSANNE THAN YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS :)!!!! I have old AAA zebras and giraffes for years and now, thanks to you, I know their numbers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Applause Applause   Thank you :)
It is also pretty amazing what was under the brand Safari Ltd. :)

Last edited by MartinH on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Very interesting, thank You for sharing! I see those times Safari sold a lot animals from other companies like Schleich or AAA study Interesting!

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Thankyou, Martin and Anna , I am very happy you enjoy it too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Very interesting to see what Safari sold back then-seems that they didnt sell much under their own name!!I have the giraffe with the oddly twisted neck so prob bought it under Safari ltd back then!Many thanks for showing this interesting piece of model animal history!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you for sharing, I did not know that Safari sold AAA models as well. Also, I love those wolves drunken
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
krista

krista

Country/State : finland

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Wow thanks for sharing! I've never seen some of the figures!

I remember those animal erasers! They were sort of a brief hit in our class, when we visited a local science center. Good days :D

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:18 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Playing? Laughing Laughing Like lions do with hyenas? affraid
I know crocodile body expressions and this one looks clearly afflicted to me. Crying or Very sad
And the kid is just making that typical face of someone ready to bit a chocolate. affraid alien What a Face Very Happy Laughing

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 pm

What a wonderful catalog. Thanks so much for sharing these pages with us.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyFri Apr 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Thankyou, dear friends Very Happy

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
Playing? Laughing Laughing Like lions do with hyenas? affraid
I know crocodile body expressions and this one looks clearly afflicted to me. Crying or Very sad
And the kid is just making that typical face of someone ready to bit a chocolate. affraid alien What a Face Very Happy Laughing

Yes ! Very Happy The good old lion-and-hyena game cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 am

Thank you Susanne sunny sunny sunny sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:07 am

Susanne, i have posted some of these pics on the DinoToyForum, is that alright with you?

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 am

Sure Very Happy
I am quite proud Laughing Do you have a link? I can never find anything on DTF geek

Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
unwissendbisgehtnicht

Country/State : germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 2:54 am

when did safari start to produce and sell their own animal figurines ?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

Hello Unwissen ! Wellcome here Very Happy 

I hope you will tell a little about who you are , for example here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wink 

I am not sure when they started, but it seems that it was the beginning of the '80s, look here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study 

unwissendbisgehtnicht

Country/State : germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 pm

hey susanne, thank you for nice empfang-:)

yes i read their homepage, but it sounds like that in the first years they started only with dinosaur...or am i wrong?
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 3:17 pm

unwissendbisgehtnicht wrote:
when did safari start to produce and sell their own animal figurines ?
Welcome here sunny 

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I hope it is helpful although not all data is accurate. Though, I believe it gives a good approach of Safari chronology and their animal collections. I really hope some Safarists can add some more information and fix what is wrong. bounce
Here is my historian mode again... Laughing

Before Safari Replicas collection was mainly composed of figures under licence. in 1989 Safari started with their own series:

- 1989 - Carnegie Collection - large series of prehistoric figures made in cooperation with the Carnegie Museum;
- 1990 -  Vanishing Wild, solide jumbo sized wild animals;
- 1991 - Farm replicas, families of horses and other farm animals;
- 1994 - Smithsonian Giant Insects, large 2:1 scale replicas of arthropods made in colaboration with the Smithsonian Institution;
- 1995 - Monterey Bay Aquarium, collection of sealife figures in cooperation with the Monterey Bay Aquarium;
- 1995 - Dinosaurs of China, small collection of "Chinese" dinosaurs;
- 1995 - Expansion of Vanishing Wild replicas;
- 1997 - Missing Link, small collection of Ice Age animals;
- 1997 - Wild Safari Dinos and Prehistoric Life, extensive collection of prehistoric animals;
- 1997 - Wild Safari Sealife, collection of sealife animal figures;
- 1998 - Wild Safari Jungle, standard sized wild animals now known as Wild Safari Wildlife;
- 1998 - Wild Safari Forest, standard sized woodland animals later called Wild Safari North American Wildlife;
- 1998 - Reorganization and expansion of Farm collection;
- 1999 - Incredible creatures, large sized replicas of unusual creatures merged in a single collection;
- 2001 -  Hidden Kingdom Insects, successor of Smithsonian giant Insects;
- 2004 - Winner's Circle Horses, wide collection of standard sized horses;
- 2004 - Best in Show Dogs, line of standard sized dogs;
- 2005 - Sue at the Field Museum - Collection of a famous T-rex skeleton called Sue and other related creatures;
- 2005 - Wings of The World, collection of bird replicas;
- 2006, Translucents, little collection of translucent replicas of reptiles and amphybians;
- 2006 - Fuzzy Farm, replicas from farm collection with a fuzzy coat;
- 2006 - Blue Ribbon Horses, collection of 1:12 scale horses;
- 2008 - Wildlife Wonders, collection of jumbo sized lightbuilt wild figures that replaced Vanishing Wild;
- 2009 - Barnyard Buddies, little collection of jumbo sized farm animals;
- 2010 - Life Cycle Series, sets showing the several stages of the life cycle of an organism;
- 2012 - Ancient Fossils, replicas of different kinds of fossils.

The rest of the history is being told on STS Forum and all this data can be found on Toy Animal Wiki! studyVery Happy

Last edited by Roger on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 pm

GREAT list, Roger !!!! Very useful  cheers Applause Applause 
Only the Carnegies are older than in the list scratch 

unwissendbisgehtnicht wrote:
hey susanne, thank you for nice empfang-:)

yes i read their homepage, but it sounds like that in the first years they started only with dinosaur...or am i wrong?
You are wellcome Very Happy

Yes . I also think that before 1990 they only made dinos.
I just checked a couple of Carnegie-dinoes. The old T- Rex is marked 1988, some are marked 1992.
So after they signed the agreement with the Carnegie Museum, they could have taken a year or two to get a production running , and then expanding it slowly at first.
I think the first Authentics dinos are old also. scratch

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
GREAT list, Roger !!!! Very useful  cheers Applause Applause 
Only the Carnegies are older than in the list scratch 

Thanks Susanne, I already fixed it. I believe the list is far from accurate but good enough to give an idea how collections developed. Very Happy

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks for sharing the catalog with us Susanne. Very interesting to see what they had.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)   Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages) Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd 1990 Catalogue (few pages)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next