Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects

Go down 
+4
Roger
PeGe
widukind
therizinosaurus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
therizinosaurus

therizinosaurus

Country/State : California, USA

Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  Empty
PostSubject: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

After browsing the forums for the past few days, I saw a few posts about the Smithsonian line of insects by Safari Ltd. in the late 1990s. I had very little recollection of the line at first, until I found a picture of the giant centipede--at $19.95, it was apparently the largest and most expensive figure in the line.
I had a vague memory of owning a giant centipede figure when I was younger--I showed the picture to my parents, and instantly they both remembered buying it for me at a museum when I was about 5 years old. I quickly raced to the garage, where I happened to have a large plastic bin marked "bugs", and as soon as I opened it I was greeted by this beauty :) I have quite a few figures in my collection (probably somewhere in the 1100+ range), and this is instantly my all-time favorite. I am so thrilled that I held on to this figure for the past 15 years, as it appears to be very rare today. So without further ado, I present you the Safari Ltd. Smithsonian Giant Centipede:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A head-on view.

A closeup of the head.

Another view of the head.

Left side.

Right side.

Top.

Bottom.

Back.

Text on the bottom. It's a shame I don't still have the tag for this figure.

And one last shot to show you how massive this figure is--that's a Collecta 1/40 scale man.

Hope you guys enjoy these pictures! :)

Charles
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 pm

A very interesting figurine!! Congrats cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Huge congrats!

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Oh, a Palaenthologic exercise at home! Laughing Fortunately it is not an arthopleura! Very Happy
Safari is a brand full of misteries and good things that need urgently to be cleared to collectors community. We find web sources about Schleich everywhere and not about Safari what is a pitty. I hope the Toy Animal Wiki can solve it soon. bounce
The figure is very nice and it shows that you were surely a boy with a very good taste. Very Happy
Searching for Smithsonian, I've found these two topics on Sts: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :study]

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 am

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 1:35 am

schleich61 wrote:
[
Of course, this is because Safari, Ltd., for some strange reason, doesn't seem to believe in making catalogs for its collectors, only wholesale and retail sellers (most toysellers I know, however, have never seen a Safari, Ltd. catalog).  Maybe this is slowly changing over the last few years - I hope so.

You're right Phil! :)
Everything in a Safari catalogue is designed without thinking in collectors. Even the year of the catalogue is sometimes hard to determine. There are contradictions between what is available in retailer catalogues and small catalogues. The numbering of the figures is completely bizarre turning very hard to find anything or to know what belongs to what. Different generations of figures have the same number and of course, it is not easy to find Safari catalogues where the brand is sold. Sad
For example, CollectA catalogues are among the most comprehensive I know with lists of figures, a correct numbering, and clearly collectors oriented. :DThe brand is only not very online documented because it is somewhat young and commercially unexpressive when compared with Safari or Schleich.

Last edited by Roger on Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weaselfan93

weaselfan93

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: safari ltd   Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 4:37 am

Welcome here. I am one of the major safari ltd collectors on this forum. what do you collect specifically besides insects? Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 am

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:10 am

What a GIGANTIC, fantastic gem, you have there cheers 

Yes ! Young collectors : HANG OP TO THEM !!!!
It makes my teeth grid, when I see youngsters throw all their nice toys out.
At least they should let a serious collector take a peek first drunken 

THANKYOU ever so much for sharing, Charles Applause 
I am sure we are several people who hive you an extra appause and wish you an extra wellcome here- again Wink

PS : I have this leaf insect and a large monarch-caterpillar.
I just checked, - they are from that series, too. I never knew before cheers 

Does anyone know how many there are ?

PeGe

PeGe

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 pm

They are soooooooo great susanne!
Huuuuuuuge,i mean HUGE congrats!

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 pm

PeGe wrote:
They are soooooooo great susanne!
Huuuuuuuge,i mean HUGE congrats!

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

weaselfan93

weaselfan93

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Safari Ltd. Smithsonian Giant Centipede   Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Susanne,
as for the Smithsonian insects, these are the ones I know for sure:
Lubber Grasshopper
Stag Beetle
Scarab Beetle
Giant Centipede
Bumble Bees (set of three)
Luna Moth
Blue Morpho Butterfly
Emperor Scorpion
Monarch Butterfly
Monarch Caterpillar
Moth Larvae
Leaf Insect
Darner Dragonfly
Black Widow Spider
Flea
Praying Mantis

Back to top Go down
Fisva

Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 9:02 am

With my entomophobia I wouldn't even touch them, I'm already scared by looking at the pictures... Sad

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 am

Thankyou , Lance cheers 

Uhh, Agata, that must be horrible to be scared of insects Shocked 

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects    Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects  Empty

Back to top Go down

Giant Centipede 1997 Safari Ltd Smithsonian Giant Insects
Page 1 of 1