Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help identifying my Animals :)

Go down 
+15
Birdsage
WhiteLightning Wolf
Sander46
Advicot
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
Kikimalou
Jennypurr
koniminiatures
AlopexLagopus
Bloodrayne
Tiermann
SUSANNE
widukind
Duck-Anch-Amun
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 11:48 am

Birdsage wrote:
The Himalayan Monal is the one on the right, not the left. The one on the left (not the right) is a fireback, but it doesn’t have a crest. Conveniently enough, there is a species called the Crestless Fireback. The one in the center is clearly a Golden Pheasant. I would really like these figures. I wonder which shopping site you found them on?

As I said, the one on the right is 10000000000000000% sure a Crested fireback pheasant (Lophura ignita) and is NOT an Himalayan monal absolutely in the least possible way. The one on the left is as I said an Himalayan monal (without the crest that it should have, but it is very clearly an Himalayan monal), and not a crestless fireback (nor a congo peafowl as suggested before). The golden pheasant I already said months ago like the other two, is the less realistic of the three but equally unmistakable.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 3:09 pm

I said it’s a crestLESS fireback, not crested.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 7:46 am

But is a CRESTED fireback (the one on the right) and an himalayan monal (the one on the left). What you said is absolutely irrelevant since it's totally wrong. There are NO crestless fireback models in this thread, and that's 2000000000000000000000000% sure.

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

I see. The fireback was the one on the right. I thought that it was the Himalayan Monal, because of the shape of the figure. Apparently, that’s the one on the left, and monals have crests too, even though that figure doesn’t have a crest. Perhaps the model on the left is a grouse of some description?
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 am

I'm glad that finally you understood, at least partially. Better late than never Razz The shape of the figure in the right is precisely that of a crested fireback and is not the shape of a monal (that is the one on the left, with the correct shape of a monal).
So the only remaining thing is make you understand that the left figure is an himalayan monal as I said several times. Is not a grouse. It may have broken the crest or the company decided to do it without a crest for better casting of the mould, but it's undoubtely a monal.

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Ullalala, have I missed something? Laughing
Thank you for your suggestions and I think Pardo is right.

As information: the "crest" on the monal is broken Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 am

Why an Himalayan monal and not a Sclater’s monal ? Laughing
I think Azur made a lot of approximative birds. The one on the left looks a bit like a monal but at least an unknown species scratch
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Ids   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 am

I have the Go-away Bird. I thought it was a Gray Go-away Bird, as those don’t have the tail stripes. I knew about the White-bellied species, and that one has some extra markings (the aforementioned tail stripes) that don’t match the figure. I think the off-white base color is close enough for the Gray species. I also have the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. I couldn’t ID it as anything besides a generic, unrealistic bird-of-paradise or paradise flycatcher.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Wanted   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 am

Where to find the Belted Kingfisher, Lark, and the Hong Kong birds?
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 am

I know that Whitelightningwolf sold a Kingfisher and Skylark. I just didn’t get around to buying these listings.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I think Azur made a lot of approximative birds. The one on the left looks a bit like a monal but at least  an unknown species scratch

Because no brand knows what an Sclater's monal is, and never a figure can be made of it except homemade customs. It's a too obscure and unknown species for any brand, only freaks like me know this species. More or less is the same that asking why a generic "chinamal" elephant is not a forest elephant, with the only difference that everybody knows what a forest elephant is it.

Besides that, the figures's colours match roughly that of the Himalayan monal but not the ones of Sclater's monal.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 am

No brands know what is a Himalyan monal, no brands ever produced one and named it, those birds are too obscure and unknown for any brand.
How can you think there is well known monals and obscure monals ? They are all obscure.
Azur birds were produced in Macao or HK, we don't know which species people of Macao and HK knew in the 1960' and 70's.
So for me this figure may look more like a monal than anything else and thats' all.And the color doesn't match with a Himalyan monal, even not a female.

About Forest elephants, this "new species" was unknown for brands because, since 1900, it was believed as  a subspecies until recently.
Brands then never made African bush of forest elephants but African elephants. It is still true nowadays.
When one wants to decide the species level, for TAW by example, the first question is not necessarily "is it or not an African forest elephant ?", you have to ask also another question "Is it or not an African bush elephant ?". Most people avoid the second question. The third question is "How to determine the species with pics only ?" so the debate turn usually around ears and tusks shape. Tusks and shape are made by sculptors with more or less talent so it complicate the task.
If you have the model in hands you need also to count the number of toenails. The African forest and Asian elephants have 5 toenails on the front feet and 4 on the back feet. The African bush elephant has 4 or sometimes 5 on the front feet and only 3 on the back.
If you do so you will soon discover that the real question is "is this model is really an African bush ?"  Laughing

If we were less obsessed species hunters, we probably changed TAW African bush and African forest elephant in one African elephant entry. It would be safer. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Whaaaat? All obscure? Himalayan monal is infinite million times much best known than the other two monal species!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the fact that no brand did one don't implies that the staff of the brand don't know the species - for sure most if not all animal lovers know the extremely well known Himalayan monal. But only the very very very freak ones know the other two species, that is obvious. No, they're not all obscure definitely. There is "THE" monal, that is the Himalayan monal, and for most animal lovers that's all.
And the color MATCHES an himalayan monal (and it's a male one very clearly) much more than any other of the two monal species. Please check again the figure.

Abou the elephant, what you say is not completely true. The true part is that it was considered a subespecies until relatively recently (not as recently as the Taxonomic Revolution and it's a reasonable change that I accepted since it happened), but that never mind for make it into figurine or not. CollectA did African leopards and Amur leopards and they're just mere subespecies of a single species.

And yes, you're totally right in the last part. It's difficult to assignate many times a real animal to a species, so imagine a figure that can be more or less realistic! And the case of the monal is not really very realistic, at least in paintjob, but still totally recognizable as species. But there are countless models of animals that we cannot assignate to a species or even a genus or family, overall within inverts and herptiles.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 pm

Birdsage wrote:
I have the Go-away Bird. I thought it was a Gray Go-away Bird, as those don’t have the tail stripes. I knew about the White-bellied species,  and that one has some extra markings (the aforementioned tail stripes) that don’t match the figure. I think the off-white base color is close enough for the Gray species. I also have the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. I couldn’t ID it as anything besides a generic, unrealistic bird-of-paradise or paradise flycatcher.

Pics please :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm

84AA2BF1-4C0F-4828-92B2-694225D1D94A.jpeg

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I think Azur made a lot of approximative birds. The one on the left looks a bit like a monal but at least an unknown species scratch

I’d say that it looks a bit like both species.
I looked up photos of the Sclater’s Monal. The males are dark blue with typically gold back feathers (the male Himalayan has a white back often covered with blue and green wing feathers) On the other hand, the gold tail belongs to Himalayan. Sclater’s has a white one. Also, if this one had a crest like Himalayan (Sclater’s has a short, triangular one) that got broken off, perhaps it was made to be a different species than Sclater’s. I guess the now-lost crest would’ve been the best field mark, I previously thought this was the Fireback because it has yellowish back feathers and the other didn’t. As for the fame of the bird species, obviously Himalayan is vastly more well-known (national bird of Nepal, in lists of the most beautiful birds) and any birder worth their salt (including me) ought to know it, but the average person, of course, wouldn’t recognize a photo of it from photos of a fireback and a Koklass Pheasant. As for Sclater’s, I have never heard of it before. It’s obviously not famous. So I guess (assuming the figures weren’t marked as any particular species) it’s up to your personal interpretation which species the bird to the left is.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Monal ID   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 3:46 pm

My point is that while Himalayan is by a long shot more famous than Sclater’s ever was (most images of “Monal bird” are Himalayan, it’s the national bird of Nepal, it’s much more well known to bird and wildlife fans in general) and would be more likely made by toy and collectible companies than Sclater’s, it’s true that the usual toy company most likely wouldn’t make a figure of any monal at all, and it’s open to interpretation which species you call the figure. Himalayan, Sclater’s, a hybrid of the two, or some entirely different pheasant: any of these IDs work well enough to me.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Birdsage wrote:
84AA2BF1-4C0F-4828-92B2-694225D1D94A.jpeg

please upload here

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Whaaaat? All obscure? Himalayan monal is infinite million times much best known than the other two monal species!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the fact that no brand did one don't implies that the staff of the brand don't know the species - for sure most if not all animal lovers know the extremely well known Himalayan monal. But only the very very very freak ones know the other two species, that is obvious. No, they're not all obscure definitely. There is "THE" monal, that is the Himalayan monal, and for most animal lovers that's all.
And the color MATCHES an himalayan monal (and it's a male one very clearly) much more than any other of the two monal species. Please check again the figure.

Abou the elephant, what you say is not completely true. The true part is that it was considered a subespecies until relatively recently (not as recently as the Taxonomic Revolution and it's a reasonable change that I accepted since it happened), but that never mind for make it into figurine or not. CollectA did African leopards and Amur leopards and they're just mere subespecies of a single species.

And yes, you're totally right in the last part. It's difficult to assignate many times a real animal to a species, so imagine a figure that can be more or less realistic! And the case of the monal is not really very realistic, at least in paintjob, but still totally recognizable as species. But there are countless models of animals that we cannot assignate to a species or even a genus or family, overall within inverts and herptiles.

Birdsage wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
I think Azur made a lot of approximative birds. The one on the left looks a bit like a monal but at least  an unknown species scratch

I’d say that it looks a bit like both species.
I looked up photos of the Sclater’s Monal. The males are dark blue with typically gold back feathers (the male Himalayan has a white back often covered with blue and green wing feathers) On the other hand, the gold tail belongs to Himalayan. Sclater’s  has a white one. Also, if this one had a crest like Himalayan (Sclater’s has a short, triangular one) that got broken off, perhaps it was made to be a different species than Sclater’s. I guess the now-lost crest would’ve been the best field mark, I previously thought this was the Fireback because it has yellowish back feathers and the other didn’t. As for the fame of the bird species, obviously Himalayan is vastly more well-known (national bird of Nepal, in lists of the most beautiful birds) and any birder worth their salt (including me) ought to know it, but the average person, of course, wouldn’t recognize a photo of it from photos of a fireback and a Koklass Pheasant. As for Sclater’s, I have never heard of it before. It’s obviously not famous. So I guess (assuming the figures weren’t marked as any particular species) it’s up to your personal interpretation which species the bird to the left is.

Pardofelis, Birdsage, I have no doubt you are animal lovers and I have no doubt you have great knowledge about animals, it is obvious for me.
I used the poor Sclater’s Monal as a trap, I know macaques are bad Laughing

You are talking about small figures made before your own birth. At that time Himalayan monal wasn't infinite million times much best known than the other two monal species!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were absolutely obscure species in Europe and Azur made their small animals as primes for European market. These animals were advertising gift from washpowder or biscuits companies...
Before Playvisions and Safari Ltd there was no brands like the one we know nowadays.
Majors of that time like Britains, Starlux, Hausser, Lineol, Clairet, etc were Toy soldiers manufacturers. Their Wild and farm animals range were a small part of their production.
Britains made zoo animals inspired by the London zoo and Clairet did the same with the zoo de Vincennes. Hausser and Lineol did the same in Germany.
Second only to the younger PV, Starlux made the biggest animals range of the XXth century. Nevertheless, it was very small compared to their soldiers, Western and medieval productions.
Many toy soldiers companies produced animal toys because of Tarzan and Mowgli success among us.
There was no web, only a very few TV channels in Europe and so only very rare wild animals documentaries ( about lions  Laughing ) and I won't talk about educational books for kids. Finding a well known book with a monal would be a Herculean task.
We were far from the animal lovers world where everybody know the Himalayan monal, very very far  Laughing
I was only speaking about Majors of that time, for the other brands like Azur or Prior who made models as advertising prime, it was even worse.
No brands made a lycaon then because it was an obscure species. Only one brand made a Nilgai or a Koala because they were obscure species for most kids and obscure too to Toy soldiers makers. You can easily imagine that a monal was even more obscure in the Toys soldiers manufacturers world.
The first time a brand produced a lot of Obscure species was in the 90's and the brand was Play Visions and they sometimes mislabelled some of them.
I'm glad you see a monal in this azur black or brown bird, I see a dark bird with a broken beak which could be a Monal even if Himalayan monals are colorful birds, far more colorful than the toy I can see on the pic.

About Afican elephants, I'm sorry but I'm absolutely 111111133344444477899% right. In the toy manufacturers world, subspecies level is most of the time absolutely ignored so companies produced African or Asian elephants, even sometimes odd hybrids in the past.
The problem is when those toys meet the Experts animal lovers world and also the Experts animal toys lovers world, two dangerous place for them ! Most of the time both of us are trying to find the species or even the subspecies level of a toy. I know, I am one of you. Most of the time the discussion turn about African forest elephant: Is this toy could be one ? The problem for me is that I can't remember a discussion where someone ask: is tis toy could be an African bush elephant ? it seems obvious for most of us. I like to ask myself this kind of question. is this lion is really an African lion ?  Laughing
I'm not a "only Wild animals toys collector", I also collect Extinct wild animals from Cambrian to Holocene. We are talking about animals we don't know perfectly. To know if a model is accurate or not, at least we need to look if it is true to the fossils. I'm not a big expert but I have the bad habit to count the number of digits or toes.
So I asked myself about Afriacn elephants. If you count the toenails you will think that some are not African bush elephants, some are even not elephants, they are not true to the skeleton.  Laughing
The more I age, the more I like to doubt. So what about all these supposed Nile crocodiles toys ?  monkey

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Where to find the Belted Kingfisher, Lark, and the Hong Kong birds?

No idea, I have those figures since....ehmm...ever? I didn´t buy them, I had them already as child. And even my parents got them as children. For the azur birds, I was lucky enough that Andreas once sold a lot.
However there was a collection on this thread, but I can´t find the link anymore. If you look in my search list, you can see some of them...however I don´t find the others anymore.
If you are looking in Andreas topic: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you can find the monal with his crest. So mine is clearly broken!
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 pm

I see. Apparently these are old, Starlux/Britains/Elastolin-era figures. So what you’re saying is, these pheasants were obscure anyway at that time, leaving the species open for interpretation. If koalas weren’t well-known yet, then the Himalayan Monal certainly wasn’t.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 pm

The Elastolin bird are available on Sanspielfiguren, but I see your in Texas, so shipping may present a problem

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Hello :)

As I am starting to catalog my collection, I started with the fishes. There I found models, that are not on TAW and some of them are hard to identify. As I didn´t wanted to show the pictures in different topics, I thought that here is the best place :)

First of all, the models are marked with "Made in China" and are made from nearly the same material. Harder plastic than other modern companies. I have those figures since I´m a child, I don´t even know if those figures belong to the same set. The pictures can be used for the TAW.
As I studies the TAW, some of those seems to be copies of older AAA-models. Maybe someone as an idea of the brand, too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For those models, I need some more help to identifie them. I´m not a fish expert, but maybe someone has good ideas for the species:

This shark model is a little bit trickier. It´s nearly the same mould as the AAA Tiger Shark. The AAA model is marked as Tiger Shark, however I´m a little bit sceptic about this identification. Maybe somebody has a better identification?

Last but not least, I found this model from Maia&Borges. I think it presents a Great White Shark? However, the model is not present on TAW, maybe someone has an idea. The stamp says: Maia&Borges, Maia/Portugal.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 07, 2021 8:56 am

I can't help with brand identification, but as for species identification, these will be my guesses. Often not easy because the figures are too generic and undetailed.

Clearly a sailfish (Istiophorus), there is almost no differences between Atlantic and Indopacific ones but the latter is a bit more well known so go for it, Istiophorus platypterus.

One of the stingrays in genus Dasyatis. Specific ID is impossible, you can go for Dasyatis pastinaca if the brand is based in Europe, or for Dasyatis americana if is based in USA.

Go for the easy one, giant manta ray, Manta birostris.

Any species of sawfish. Most well known could be maybe Pristis pectinata.

Despite the paintjob, clearly a whale shark (Rhincodon typus). Notice the keels along the body. I tought it could be a badly-proportioned zebra shark until I saw the keels.

Another whale shark (Rhincodon typus), with more accurate colours.

Any hammerhead species, I would go for the one that is probably the most well known, Sphyrna zygaena.

For this one we can see clearly a more accurate scultpure that allows an ID as a scalloped hammerhead, Sphyrna lewini.

Really can't help with this one, it looks like clearly made as a "generic shark" with no aims of represent any real species.

Clearly a great white shark, Carcharodon carcharias.

Dolphinfish, Coryphaena hippurus.

Any seahorse species, not made after an specific one. You can go for the most well known ones, like Hippocampus kuda or Hippocampus reidi. Notice inaccurate anatomy (mouth under throat instead in the tip of the snout)

Tricky. General shape could remind a bit a nurse shark (Ginglymostoma cirrhatum).

Clearly another great white shark, Carchadoron carcharias.

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Thank you very much Pardo! For most of them I had the same idea, nice to hear some confirmations :)

Here are my final fishes, I fear that they are to generic, but maybe someone can help. The images can be used for Toy Animal Wiki :) I don´t know the brand, they are marked "Made in China". Some of them I own already very long.

I didn´t find a surgeon fish or tang like that, so the color sheme isn´t the best

Probably a butterfly fish with a color sheme that doesn´t exist in reality...

Here are two fishes from another set, that I acquired years ago on Sandspielfiguren.de. There were more anthropods in this so called "sea set", they will be identified later (hopefully^^).
a leafy dragon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help identifying my Animals :)   Help identifying my Animals :) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help identifying my Animals :)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next