Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Elephants-History

Go down 
+7
Chris Sweetman
Roger
jarda
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
widukind
elephas_maximus
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Andrew an interesting find and thanks for sharing the information. Images show the size relationships perfectly.

Now a question - is it hollow?

I second that  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 9:57 am

The baby elephants I have, lead is hollow, plastic is solid.
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 11:33 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Andrew an interesting find and thanks for sharing the information. Images show the size relationships perfectly.

Now a question - is it hollow?

My elephant is the same as Dave's, it is solid plastic.  

Whichever company made this copy tried to copy the original in all aspects, the colour of the plastic is quite similar to the lead original along with the painting of the eyes.  I have a feeling that they stripped off the paint from the Britains lead figure before making the moulds from it for their plastic version.  The reason being is the original lead Britains were actually more detailed than they appear, a thick coat of enamel paint was used on these figures which obliterated a lot of the finer details of the sculpting.  If you ever see Britains lead figures with heavy paint loss the more fine details of the "raw" lead models can bee seen.  This copy seems to have very slightly more clear details than my lead version.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 12:01 pm

At the moment, I'm still thinking late Hilco/early Cherilea.

Perhaps one day an example will turn up in some kind of packaging, a boxed set, trade box, or if not either of these, one of those little cellophane or translucent paper used for most premiums in food products, in which case it will be real problem discovering who actually made them.

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 11689295846_66b6ec2b17_b
Britains Mini-Set Elephant & Boy 1-42nd scale

From Britains short lived 1:42nd scale Mini-Set series. Here is set 1033 with all that it contained and included the young African elephant, a boy figure feeding the elephant buns, low fences and bushes. As can be seen the box also could be used as a diorama backdrop.

Boy figure gives scale and shows the relative size of the elephant figure. Also it provides an historical context as in the present zoo visitors are no longer allowed to feed elephants! Very Happy

elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Thats a great set Chris, they rarely show up on eBay fully boxed.

Yes feeding of zoo elephants used to be very common many years ago, this was fun for the visitors but not so great for the animals. Commonly elephants would push and shove each other to get to the handouts often resulting in falls into the moat surrounding the exhibit. A lot of obese elephants resulted from standing in the same spot all day eating sugary buns and other human treats.

The elephant I mentioned, London Zoo's Dixie, that the 1310 African elephant was modeled after died as a result of such a fall. It is very likely that she was hovering on the edge of the moat stretching for a treat when she was nudged over.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks Andrew, I managed to get most of my Mini-Sets a while ago quite cheaply. Although prices have raised somewhat in the past years.

Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 11687980815_2a7d61a58e_c
Corgi & Britains Daktari

Luckily for this elephant Andrew he was released back into the wild and starred in Daktari!  Very Happy

Laughing

elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 am

Great photo Chris, thanks! Reminds me of how they transport elephants in Asia (even though this Britains is African), they just walk them onto flatbed trucks.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 am

Chris, wonderful photo and model set! wow.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 2:04 am

elephas_maximus wrote:
Great photo Chris, thanks!  Reminds me of how they transport elephants in Asia (even though this Britains is African), they just walk them onto flatbed trucks.

scot(t) wrote:
Chris, wonderful photo and model set! wow.

Thank you Andrew and Scott - perhaps we need a new thread: livestock transporters and horse/pony trailers! Very Happy

May I also take this opportunity to wish you both a Happy New Year. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:

Happy new year Chris Very Happy

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Thank you Andrew and Scott - perhaps we need a new thread: livestock transporters and horse/pony trailers! Very Happy

Perhaps ? Let's go for a new thread Chris cheers

And, by the way Wink , I had that truck when I was young with the Daktari jeep too, these were the only "small car toys" I either loved drunken
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Please help me with the 1:42 elephant figure: I got similar one in Hong Kong lot and I am not sure if I got original or copy. Are there any signs on the original Britains figure (text, logo, year,...) to be easily recognized? What are this figure exact dimensions?
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Happy new year Chris  Very Happy

Chris Sweetman wrote:

Perhaps ? Let's go for a new thread Chris  cheers

And, by the way  Wink , I had that truck when I was young with the Daktari jeep too, these were the only "small car toys" I either loved  drunken

Christophe - sorry I missed your reply - hope 2015 has been a good one so far. I too had the Daktari Land-Rover - it was a Christmas present when I was about 11 years old and I still have it.  Very Happy

jarda wrote:
Please help me with the 1:42 elephant figure: I got similar one in Hong Kong lot and I am not sure if I got original or copy. Are there any signs on the original Britains figure (text, logo, year,...) to be easily recognized? What are this figure exact dimensions?

Jarda - I will look at my model tomorrow and report back if there are any identification details.

jarda

jarda

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 8:36 am

Chris, please can you check your elephant? Your infos can be very helpful for the identification.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 9:36 pm

jarda wrote:
Chris, please can you check your elephant? Your infos can be very helpful for the identification.

Hi Jarda

Sorry for the delay but I have been away.

I have just looked at my example of the Britains Mini-Set Elephant. There are no markings or numbers on the model. This is not a surprise as the elephant was sold only as part of a set.

The model is:

Height: 48mm
Length: 80mm - from tip of extended trunk to end of tail
Width: 30mm - far edge of left ear to far edge of right ear

The plastic is PVC and has a slightly sticky feel. The only paint is white added to the tusks and not very well applied.

Hope this helps.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 6:40 pm

jarda wrote:

Did you buy this model Jarda?

jarda

jarda

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 8:13 am

Yes, Chris, I hope I have this model, thank you very much for your help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains Elephants-History   Britains Elephants-History - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Elephants-History
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2