Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains horses

Go down 
+9
Kikimalou
Ana
Roger
Taos
SUSANNE
LeeAnn
widukind
DaveScriv
Chris Sweetman
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:03 pm

I will start with this topic on one of the last of the classic plastic farm animals issued by Britains.

This model was number 2108 in the Britains Farm line. Originally issued in matt plastic in 1966 and then available from 1968 in PVC plastic. It was available in three colours: brown, brick (reddish brown as illustrated below) and tan. The model was finally withdrawn in 1992.

Marked on the belly area: BRITAINS LTD ENGLAND

Essentially, this was a re-work from the original lead hollow-cast model which was introduced in around 1946 and lasted until 1959.

Britains horses 11911044706_e2cb639489_z
Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Not just three colours, but an awful lot of shade variations as well, to keep us OCD collectors interested.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Very good horse  cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Beautiful horse Very Happy Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Chris, do I understand you right, that you want to see other People's Britains horses ?
If not, please just say so, and I will erase this Wink

I got these a couple of years ago. It says 2010 on the box so they are neither old nor the slightest bit rare, - but I like them very much Very Happy
Britains horses IMG_8367_zps524f2109

They look very nice in the box, so I have not teken them out .
That way they do not come to any harm Wink

DaveScriv

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Here's the lead version of the Suffolk mare, with its foal.
The foal was later produced in plastic, in dark brown and white.
Note that during the same period, 1950s to 1970, there were two other Britains/Herald foals, standing and scratching, which were made in dark brown, white and black, but the lying foal seen here was never (as far as is known) made in black plastic.

Britains horses <a href=Britains horses 11912476214_9a05a58dcd" />

Last edited by DaveScriv on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm

They are beautyful Very Happy

To me the lead models have that something very special  cheers 

Btw, I think I have that white, lying foal somewhere, but it has had a very hard-handed young owner before it came here  What a Face 

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:18 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Chris, do I understand you right, that you want to see other People's Britains horses ?
If not, please just say so, and I will erase this Wink

I got these a couple of years ago. It says 2010 on the box so they are neither old nor the slightest bit rare, - but I like them very much Very Happy
Britains horses IMG_8367_zps524f2109

They look very nice in the box, so I have not teken them out .
That way they do not come to any harm Wink

Post away Susanne. BTW the adult riders are based on those first issued in 1963 and lasted until 1992. However, the designs were simplified from the early 1970’s.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

I have never seen a black lying foal Dave and Barney Brown in his Britains Herald Plastic Farm Models 1955-1969 confirms that they were never available in black.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 pm

widukind wrote:
Very good horse  cheers cheers cheers 

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
Beautiful horse Very Happy:D

Thanks Andreas and 4U.  Very Happy 

DaveScriv

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
I have never seen a black lying foal Dave and Barney Brown in his Britains Herald Plastic Farm Models 1955-1969 confirms that they were never available in black.

Quite so (I have Barney's books, and am in fairly regular contact with him), but items by Britains which are not supposed to have existed have a habit of occasionally turning up!  Shocked 
Sometimes it is a case of painters errors (or maybe a painter was bored that day. I have a Herald Farmer's Daughter with blue dress and dark brown hair should be blond, the red dress version had brown hair), sometimes it is a case of short term shortages at Britains factory causing them to use not normal plastic colours (such as the mounted Herald Life Guards in white plastic instead of the usual red), and in the last months of lead figure production they turned out non standard items to use up what they had left, such as different moveable arms from normal (I have a mounted ACW Confederate cavalry trooper in a boxed set with a trumpeter arm).
Britains generally tried to be as accurate as possible (within the limits of Britains artistic style of 'reality'), but when push came to shove they were a company trying to make a profit by selling toys.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:34 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

Quite so (I have Barney's books, and am in fairly regular contact with him), but items by Britains which are not supposed to have existed have a habit of occasionally turning up!  Shocked 
Sometimes it is a case of painters errors (or maybe a painter was bored that day. I have a Herald Farmer's Daughter with blue dress and dark brown hair should be blond, the red dress version had brown hair), sometimes it is a case of short term shortages at Britains factory causing them to use not normal plastic colours (such as the mounted Herald Life Guards in white plastic instead of the usual red), and in the last months of lead figure production they turned out non standard items to use up what they had left, such as different moveable arms from normal (I have a mounted ACW Confederate cavalry trooper in a boxed set with a trumpeter arm).
Britains generally tried to be as accurate as possible (within the limits of Britains artistic style of 'reality'), but when push came to shove they were a company trying to make a profit by selling toys.

This is fairly typical of most companies in the past that produced toys Dave. After all a toy whether it is car or animal figure does it matter what colour it ends up in? They had a finite lifespan as a toy and if they lasted a few weeks intact it may have been a minor miracle! I have a few toy cars that are in colours that are not recorded anywhere and I know collectors have much more than I have. So it is not surprising that strange colours pop up from time to time that have been painted largely by homeworkers for plastic figures. Peter Cole in his first edition of ‘Suspended Animation’ wondered what early plastic farm animals were in an early Britains box he had. Sure enough a box did eventually turn up with said animals included.

After many years of collecting toys I am not surprised if an item turns up that no-one has recorded before.

STS can be an outlet for all these unusual animal figures to be pictured here with information and we can all learn.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Some more images of the Suffolk Mare. Firstly a close up of the head and braiding:

Britains horses 11916540783_7fab7ae1a8_z
Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 2 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Now the tan version:

Britains horses 11916262215_54de22c04c_z
Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 3 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Both the colours I have together:

Britains horses 11917150586_cbf01151df_z
Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 4 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Close up image showing head moulding differences:

Britains horses 11917150516_a04b44e8bf_z
Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 5 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Here are my Suffolk Punch horses-I always though that this model was wonderful! Smile 
Also a picture of the rather odd coloured palomino Shire that was made by Britains-Anyone know more about this model?
He was losing the grey paint on him so I repainted him when I was younger!
[img]Britains horses 002_zps277eed97[/img][img]Britains horses 003_zps2dace05d[/img]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Nope, not seen that colour Shire before. I'm guessing made towards the end of production of it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 am

Here is another horse:

Britains horses 12002879453_62d0af5ae1_c
Tri-ang Britains Horse 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Britains supplied plastic animals to other companies. Usually these were ones from their catalogue. However, the horse illustrated here was a special moulding specifically for Tri-ang. Tri-ang used it for their large scale pressed-steel trucks. These included a BMC Horse transporter (incorrectly identified by some sources as a Bedford) and an open horse box towed by a Land-Rover. This model horse dates from the mid 1960’s and is to a scale larger than 1:32nd scale. The design was based on one Britains used in their 1:32nd scale range to pull their light weight horse drawn vehicles. This was based on one made in hollow-cast and later in plastic and was referred to as a "skinny horse”.

Marked on the belly area: BRITAINS LTD ENGLAND.

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 12:50 am

Skinny found the perfect place! Very Happy I hope this topic has many more stories to tell. I really like everything Britains made. :)
I am eager to receive my first Britains horses and to see how they look like with the modern 1:32 friends of Breyer! Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 12:54 am

Roger wrote:
Skinny found the perfect place! :DI hope this topic has many more stories to tell. I really like everything Britains made. :)
I am eager to receive my first Britains horses and to see how they look like with the modern 1:32 friends of Breyer! Very Happy

He/she? certainly has Roger.  Very Happy 

I have a few more Britains horses and these will follow soon.

Breyer were inspired by Britains on some models. More will be revealed! Watch this space.  Wink 

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: More images of the Tri-ang Britains horse   Britains horses EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 am

Here are some more views of the Tri-ang Britains horse:

Britains horses 12020340114_3564d38b7f_c
Tri-ang Britains Horse 2 by Chris*4, on Flickr

As loads for the vehicles - BMC Horse Transporter and Land-Rover Horse Box trailer they were always in pairs in the colours illustrated below:

Britains horses 12020283213_1fa42c75d4_c
Tri-ang Britains Horse 3 by Chris*4, on Flickr

And with Britains Suffolk Mare to show size comparison:

Britains horses 12020340184_0e8529c9c1_c
Tri-ang Britains Horse and Suffolk Mare by Chris*4, on Flickr

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for extra pictures, do you have any example to show where Breyer found inspiration? It would be great to see it. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 pm

I've just found this topic now! Thank you for all the photos Chris, Dave, Taylor and Susanne! Very interesting figures! Suffolk is especially nicely sculpted and amazingly (also surprisingly) in lead she came in proper bay colour with black legs. Very Happy Shire is also very lovely and I think it would be so nice to see few more photos of this figure, please  Very Happy 
I like also the fact these figures came in many colours, skinny one (which I think is probably Hack type?) looks especially nice in palomino Very Happy  cheers
Interesting to see the "skinny horse" much taller than Suffolk. From what I've read Suffolk Punch horses are tall  (65 to 70 inches, 165 to 178 cm).  study 
Thank you for nice comparison shots Chris!   Smile

Last edited by Ana on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
DaveScriv

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Ana wrote:
I've just found this topic now! Thank you for all the photos Chris, Dave, Taylor and Susanne! Very interesting figures! Suffolk is especially nicely sculpted. Very Happy
I like also the fact these figures came in many colours, skinny one (which I think is probably Hack type?) looks especially nice in palomino Very Happy cheers
Interesting to see the "skinny horse" much taller than Suffolk. From what I've read Suffolk Punch horses are tall  (65 to 70 inches, 165 to 178 cm).  study 
Thank you for nice comparison shots Chris!   Smile

Ana, THIS 'skinny horse' is bigger than the Suffolk because it is in a bigger scale, as Chris said, items made by Britains for Tri-ang.
The skinny hoses in Britains regular 1:32 scale range were smaller than the Suffolk.

I'll be back in a few minutes with a photo of their regular skinny horse with the Tri-ang ones, so you can see the difference.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Oh, I had to mis this sentence about bigger scale indeed, Dave! I haven't read too carefully  Embarassed 

I would love to see photo of original Britains 1:32 version too of course! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
DaveScriv

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Normal plastic skinny cart horse with Tri-ang horses

Britains horses <a href=Britains horses 12057001995_71e8a99693" />

As you can see, I have some spares of these rare Tri-ang horses - will swap for something else good vintage.

Now for, in chronological order, their 3 lead skinny cart horses, then the plastic version again, but this time in brown.

Britains horses <a href=Britains horses 12057303043_07ff56cf9d" />

Britains horses <a href=Britains horses 12057016405_2655c86e15" />

Britains horses <a href=Britains horses 12057884826_2cf2f0eefa" />

[img]Britains horses 12057890556_ca5757f0c7[/img]
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks for extra pictures, do you have any example to show where Breyer found inspiration? It would be great to see it. Very Happy

You are welcome Rogério. At present I don’t have any comparison images of Britains v Breyer. However, Breyer at one time imported Britains models into the USA.

Sponsored content

Britains horses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains horses
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next