Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A comparison of Schleich Border Collies

Go down 
+7
widukind
NightLioness
Bloodrayne
A-J
SUSANNE
LeeAnn
Miss Jane
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Miss Jane

Miss Jane

Country/State : Australia

A comparison of Schleich Border Collies Empty
PostSubject: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

As requested...

Today I will be looking at the Schleich Border Collies and comparing them - to gain a better understanding of what a real Border Collie looks like. 

Also note - I might in future do a more detailed review on each figure.

Schleich Border Collie 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The lovely - and small Border Collie by Schleich. To scale, it is not, and I suppose that is one of my biggest problems with it. Recently I aquired this figure and was disapointed by its size. As a Border Collie owner, I know what size they should be in comparison to other dogs - and that's not miniature.

So, just a couple of thoughts on why I think it's too small. 
Aw, gosh, I'm going to sound like a horrible, mean critic soon if I keep pointing out flaws in models and brands. But it's how I evaluate models, and that's why, when I find one that fits, I love it so very much. I hope it's not too bad to compare figures.  Rolling Eyes  Razz 

Compare the two photographs. A noticable difference here is the length of the dog's topline (i.e.- back) from whithers to tail base. The Border Collie in the photo is considerably longer in the back to the Schleich. Another thing here to note is head size. Schleich Border Collie actually has a rather large head in comparison to the body proportions. 
I would excuse it for less feathering (i.e. - Schleich Border Collie is not nearly as fluffy as the BC in the photo), but...

A smooth-coated Border Collie. And, even without all that hair, it is evident the Schleich Collie's head is oversized, as well as having a shortened topline. This shorter coated BC may help with what I am trying to explain. While hair and fluff can be a huge part of Border Collies (especially show ones), the underneath bone structure must remain the same. This, too, is something I put emphasis on when assessing my figures.

One thing I am impressed with the Schleich Border Collie is that while too short, the topline is somewhat accurate in shape. Note that BCs do not have sloping toplines, but rather, elegantly raised like that of a Rough Collie (and that's actually hip structure, not hair).
Schleich tummy-tuck, too, is good, but again, the torso is too short. Lengthen him out (and downsize that head) and we'd be getting close.

One thing I might add to consider here is the origin of a particular Border Collie. What I mean by that is that there are various strains worldwide, of Border Collies. In the same way we've recently gotten two breeds form the Akita (American and Japanese Akita) due to distinctly different strains, BCs are varied but similar, and of the same breed. By this I mean type, size, and appearance varies.
Take this lovely BC, for example. This BC displays all the traditional Border Collie well-known all over the world, but particularly as English. This BC is an English working dog strain, and is very typical of the original BCs. Note here that the Schleich BC is likely taken from this variety. 

Another point I find silly, but nonetheless.... I think Schleich's tail is too short. Most BCs have long tails, even those without lots of feathering. Just saying.

Size: 
Here we have a quick sketch I did earlier to show what a 1:12 BC should actually be, and the other BCs.. Schleich and Bully. Below I have examples with real life dogs.

Also note real life Border Collies, of any type, are not small, in fact are known as being in the 'medium' breed range - right up there with Golden Retrievers and Boxers. Because of this, Schleich's 1:12 is not accurate for this figure. 
Here is a Border Collie (Black and White) next to an Australian Shepherd. This shows the size. According to Schleich's 1:12 Border Collie, as a breed, the BC would be this height:
The height of the small dog. The smaller dog is actually a Miniature Australian Shepherd, and fits exactly to Schleich's 1:12 scale. Oh dear. That's a mini Border Collie.
The bigger dog is an Australian Shepherd, which, as we have seen above, is the same size as a Border Collie (actually it is often smaller.)

And, finally, for this figure, the paint job. By that I mean, yes, the colour. Colour itself is fine, but there's one small problem. The pattern.
Border Collies come in many coat colours and patterns, even that of the Schleich BC. But.. it is considered a 'standard' BC - which is incorrect. I'll explain what I mean.

In dogs, there are various forms of white patterning. The colour we see in Border Collies is known as 'Irish White Spotting'. That means this is a common pattern, and is seen in the majority of BCs. The BC standards do emphasize on patterning. 
Irish White - White displayed on the collar, chest, paws, undersides, tip of tail, and desirably the face. The white collar is particularly common and desirable. 
Schleich - Irish White is there, except for the white collar. Missing white collars are seen in BCs, but often in a very unusual way, and rarely where the entire back of the neck is black. For example, one side may even be black, and the other white. These markings are not always desirable. 

An example - this BC has black only on one side of the white collar. This can happen, but not in a regular black pattern.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
More examples of unusual color patterns, which are usually not consistent among generations, unlike the Irish Patterning.

Considered a mismark: solid black leg, while other legs are white. BCs can come in solids, but there's a lot more to that. Another day.

Now, for..

Schleich Agility Border Collie.
(As I do not own this figure, these are my observations based on photographs. Note, I also used photos from google.)
This Border Collie might be smaller, but I am almost inclined to say it is much more like the real thing. So, not to any scale (that I know of), but perhaps noticably better?

This much I will say. This Border Collie is longer. From a distance, I would say yes, it is almost exactly accurate, but there are a few things I might point out.
The back could be more elevated towards the loins, but that is nothing.

My ownly problem, really, is with the movement.
Firtsly, though, I will give this lovely figure grace as it is a motion figure - and so hard.

My only comment there is that the legs are too short and, despite being in the agile pose, the hind legs have no length. What I mean by that is this:
Even with it's low position, this BC's hind legs are poised, doubled up underneath him like a spring, ready to release at any moment. This is such a typical Collie action, and something the second Schleich figure is lacking. Put it simply: the front legs on that figure are anatomically longer than the hind legs.
If he stood up, there'd be some serious angle!

The tail, however, is of excellent length and marking. Coat length and feathering is what I would consider  adequate for an agility Border and head is well proportioned. Markings are excellent. Accurate, and predictable. From some angles the mouth looks a bit crocodile-ish,but I can't say until someday I own this figure.

But finally, I would have to say for colour, markings, anatomically and well, not for size, my 'most realistic' Schleich Border Collie would be the second, Agility BC. 

Wow, that was an epic job. Border Collies are such a varied breed, even in my country there are at least 4 strains/types and all sizes and colours. 

I hope you all enjoyed this presentation and especially 4U!

Again, I apologise if I am too picky about my collection/comparison habits!  Razz  Razz 

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 pm

This is very very interesting, thanks so much Miss Jane! cheers I love your comparisons, I think Schleich needs to hire you!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Great to read about the border collie and learn what to look for in a modern type cheers 

May I add, that I remember the Schottish shepherds downright  refusing to as much as LOOK at any standard, and they only sneered at pedigrees.
They were not letting anybody tell them how their fabulous little working dogs should look.  Suspect  Wink 

From Wikipedia i got this info about the Border collies in their home land today :
United Kingdom[edit]
In the UK, there are two separate registries for Border Collies. The International Sheep Dog Society[32] encourages breeding for herding ability, whereas the Kennel Club (UK) encourages breeding for a standardised appearance. The ISDS registry is by far the older of the two, and ISDS dogs are eligible for registration as pedigree Border Collies with the Kennel Club (KC) — but not vice versa. The only way for a Border Collie without an ISDS pedigree to be added to the ISDS registry is by proving its worth as a herding dog so that it can be Registered on Merit (ROM).

This means that the UK BSs can still be very far from the show-standards , I suppose.. scratch 

A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you for the comparison cheers I've really enjoyed it and I hope you'll make some more reviews.
And as 4U said above, schleich should really hire you Wink

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 4:13 pm

What a fantastic review.
For a long time I've been wondering what bothered me so much about my Schleich BC.
One day I even painted over all the white markings to make them stand out more, thinking that would make it look better.
But still something bothered me.
And now, after reading your review I realise that Schleich's BC is missing his white collar!
That's it!
Never noticed it until you pointed it out.  Shocked 

Thank you.

NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Great review, great photos! (All those beautiful BC's Very Happy)
Indeed, the Schleich BC is missing his white collar...
I own the agility BC, and the hind legs are way to short indeed!
But his head is more like a BC than the other one is.

But what, in your opinion Miss Jane, is the best BC from the large brands??

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Interesting  sunny sunny 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 am

This was so interesting! Thank you for this post Miss Jane!

Have you seen the Border Collies by Papo and Breyer? I'm really curious to know which BC's from the other companies you favor and which you don't!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am

Brilliant topic and very interesting Jane!
Miss Jane wrote:

Irish White - White displayed on the collar, chest, paws, undersides, tip of tail, and desirably the face. The white collar is particularly common and desirable.
Oh I love these two photos, they're inspirational!  I like the long-haired Border Collies best I think, they are beautiful (although the working dogs would get incredibly dirty and matted fur!)

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Miss Jane

Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Susanne: Yes, what you say is very true. The Border Collie is a breed which has often had many disputes regarding 'standards' and descriptions. I suppose ideally, the Border Collie has been bred as a working sheepdog and work-ability comes first. I do love show Border Collies and their classic look, but they are practically a separate breed to the working BC - just like show versus working Kelpies here. Might I say it, I very much dislike what standards have done to show Kelpies. 
I think there is a place for both, and, within my collection I certainly allow it! *Especially in being an owner of a working type Border Collie.

Bloodrayne: Yes, indeed, the collar! It annoyed me to no end when I first saw it, and, while it can occur in dogs, that is not part of the Irish white patterning. For example, if the whole neck was black, we would call this minimal Irish Spotting and actually white would be greatly reduced, which includes white on legs, tail, and face.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Examples of minimal Irish White Spotting in Border Collies.
Back to top Go down
Miss Jane

Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Most Realistic Large Brands Border Collie

(In my opinion - for what it's worth.  Razz  Razz )

I'll make it quick, if I can. Someday I'll own all these figures and when I have them in my hands... I will make a thorough evaluation and review for you all. But for now, photos will have to suffice.

In order from least to most realistic.

Schleich Border Collie
Cute, but probably my least favourite. As above, not long enough in body, and generally too small in scale. 

Schleich agility Border Collie
Realistic in that it is better than the other Schleich BC, but just not accurate enough.

CollectA Border Collie
I thought I liked this BC, but I may have just changed my mind. As far as I know it is to scale, which I like. But the face is completely cartoonish with terrible ears, and the topline is horrible sloped. Otherwise, excellent feathering, shape,colour and everything. But that face!

Papo Border Collie
It barely wins over the Collecta Collie. Only when I know can I pick between these two. Overall, a better sculpt, and more realistic. Great proportions, topline, coat, colour... and even head. I just dislike its crocodile jaws and bright pink mouth. 

Breyer Border Collie

As I cannot get my hands on breyer dogs here  Crying or Very sad, I have not held these guys. Based on photos, the smaller is Stablemate scale, and the larger...? 1:9? The larger BC is beautifully sculpted, which is what I expect form breyer. Very anatomically accurate, even in that tricky pose. could have better, finer detailed fur, but oh well. Stablemate BC is very, very good for something so small. Excellently posed, shaped, and painted. 

Safari Border Collie

This has to be my ultimate favourite. Excellent sculpting, very nice proportions, legs extended and flexed without losing shape. Body and form very breed-like,nice tummy tuck, beautiful topline and excellent tail/carriage. Feathering slight, yet detailed, and a very nice head. Very nice. 
Markings could be more standardised but overall beautiful.
My only dislike is how the eyes have grey rings, and that red bandana. Without it, this figure would be complete - a herding dog stalking - with it - it looks to be a circus animal!
I intend to purchase and customize this figure for a more realistic repaint. 

There! Have I missed any? I haven't included unreleased BC from Mojo, as it is not in shops yet!
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Thank you, thank you!  sunny cheers cheers Applause 
*Is happy that the BC she has in her WL is a real gem ;3*

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 pm

I find this topic excelent! Very Happy
First it helps me to learn a little more about dogs, then it is a review with all constructive criticism neccessary.
I am not particularly interested in dogs but always interested in good topics about animal figures. Very Happy
It is particular interesting your comment about oversized head and short backline. It is common in several Schleich figures along all these years. I believe this is not lack of competence from sculptors but a design orientantion. I say it because it really happens surely with more than half of Schleich figures. They look cuter like that to the not expertized customer, we can see that design strategy made in movies, carttons or plushes, of course in Schleich not so exagerated to not compromise the false sensation of realism.
I am glad you added your general observations about other brands too, for someone like me, in a subject that I really don't feel confortable, opinions from experts can determine my choice if I ever will choose. cheers
Topics like these are very welcome but please try to see a crocodile smile as a positive thing! Laughing alien :)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you! That is a great ranking Miss Jane and a really interesting read. The Safari would be also be my top choice; if it weren't for that red bandana, which I do not like. It's too bad. I will likely try to get the Breyer Stablemate. (I have the Papo already; it's painted slightly weirdly, the eyes and, as you noted, the mouth are both odd.)
Back to top Go down
Miss Jane

Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 am

Thank you all! I am happy this review has helped with thoughts and questions some of you may have had.

Roger: yes, now that you mention it, I think that is very true, and all part of the cuteness factor. Like their dissapointing new horses, I suppose. I also find a lot of Schleich animals are disproportioned, like big heads!

On another note, I hope this helped some decide what Border Collie to buy!
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Great article, Miss Jane. I too like the Safari, Ltd. one the best... Applause  It's a great pose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A comparison of Schleich Border Collies   A comparison of Schleich Border Collies Empty

Back to top Go down

A comparison of Schleich Border Collies
Page 1 of 1