Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do you collect?

Go down 
+12
Sergey
Wilorvise
LeeAnn
Anne from Norway
Tiermann
NightLioness
widukind
DaveScriv
animalluvr6
Saarlooswolfhound
JonasV
persefone
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
persefone

Country/State : Spain

what collect - How do you collect? Empty
PostSubject: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Maybe this question looks like stupid but I'd like to learn how people collect. What does it mean? Simply: are you methodic collector; I mean, do you write in a paper all the models you are looking for and buy them looking for rarity, prize, possibility to be retired...? are you a ''free'' collector; which means you only buy whatever you want?

I'm a methodic collector. I have written all the models I'd like with its number, photo and year. I try to buy them from elder to younger in order to do not ''loose'' a model to be retired before I buy it. I also look on internet for different prizes and I try to buy retired models first.

How do you collect? Which type of collector are you?

Some tips will also be veeeery interesting!
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 6:58 pm

This is good one! I've been thinking something like this, but good you made it! Thank you Very Happy

I'm pretty much like you, but same time you're far ahead of me! I've still too much retired horses to buy silent 

I'm a methodic one too! I write list and new lists, always forget them for a moment but then when I find them it's awesome to see "oh, I've got this and this and this.." I love it! = D

I also buy just those I want. With Schleich I can make an exception cause their value is gonna grow so it's good to get them all XP But usually I just buy those who can watch me with the most sweet faces in the store. Those who just doesn't mind getting my to collection I leave there  Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm a little of both. I use "picture lists", which is I get pics of all the models I want and organize them by brand or species etc. (I'm a visual person) and slowly got down the list. For instance right now I'm finished with my Papo and Safari ltd. lists (excluding new releases), but I normally find a few figures that I just run upon somewhere and can't resist.  Smile 

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 pm

I use a little bit of both as well! I first start out getting the figures I absolutely want and slowly build up my other collections. For example, one of my biggest sub collections I have is of just African animals, so when I collect I will choose any figure I want first and then collect the African animals to build up my collection. Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 8:13 pm

I only collect vintage models, so everything I might collect is 'retired', indeed many of them were 'retired' over 60 years ago, especially those made by the Georg Heyde company at Dresden, Germany, which was 'closed down' by RAF bombers in 1945 in a very permanent way!

Despite them being vintage figures, I'm generally aware of which I'm likely to see for sale again, some of them surprisingly regularly for such old items, and which might turn out to be literally once in a lifetime (& I've been collecting since I was a kid, some 55 years ago) opportunity to buy. Obviously these take priority, unless they are too expensive. There have been many times when I've been 'watching' a lot of items on eBay, and then suddenly found one of these 'must have' items - often old wooden buildings - so delete almost everything else on my watch list until that item has ended, I hope with me buying it.

Apart from that, as I collect quite a broad range of brands and subjects (including soldiers & subjects not normally on this forum), but do have priorities, it is a case, whenever I go to a toy or general antiques fair, of a quick walk round to find & buy any 'must haves', and then, If I have any money left for that day out (which is usually - once in a lifetime items, by definition, don't appear very often), have a slow second walk round to see what else fits in my collection, and seems a good price.

I don't write lists of what I want, in many cases because I don't even know what items exist in many of the vintage ranges until I see them. Many of the old companies were small outfits, and didn't produce illustrated catalogues, so even the acknowledged experts don't know. In the case of the old wooden farm buildings, judging by some of the people who've asked me, apparently I am 'the expert'!

I do have photos of everything in my collection though, to keep track, and for posting on forums like this one of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I guess that I am a methodic collector too  Cool  I have lists of all the wildlife, pets, horses and such for schleich from 2010 to 2014. This is because I started collecting in 2010. But I don't just buy the ones that I want, I go for all from that particular category untill I have all from the 2010-2014 booklets. This is just the way that I collect Very Happy I hope one day to catch up Very Happy Meaning that I have all animals from 2010 onwards for each category. So far I have "caught up" with the african animals and will now be focusing on the other wildlife.
Compared with other collectors I don't have a whole lot of experiance, I mean, I can't make educated guesses about the possiblitiy of a figurine retiring or how rare it will become and such. Hopefully it will come in time bounce  bounce  bounce
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Schleighgirl wrote:

Compared with other collectors I don't have a whole lot of experiance, I mean, I can't make educated guesses about the possiblitiy of a figurine retiring or how rare it will become and such. Hopefully it will come in time bounce  bounce  bounce

As a general rule, the ones that didn't sell when they were new become the rarities of the future.
Try asking at wherever you usually buy your figures which ones they're NOT selling - and buy those!

One example from Britains plastic zoo range is the duck billed platypus = a not at all impressive little blob of brown plastic, which they didn't sell many of during its short production run - and most they did sell probably got lost, or even sucked up vacuum cleaners!
When it appears on eBay it often goes up to UK£20
At the same time on eBay lots of multiple Britains zoo animals, all of which are bigger and generally more impressive than the DBP, sell for £5 or less.

I imagine other members who are familiar with modern brands will know of examples of rather poor animals which are now very difficult to find, and expensive when you do find them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 9:56 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Schleighgirl wrote:

As a general rule, the ones that didn't sell when they were new become the rarities of the future.
Try asking at wherever you usually buy your figures which ones they're NOT selling - and buy those!

One example from Britains plastic zoo range is the duck billed platypus = a not at all impressive little blob of brown plastic, which they didn't sell many of during its short production run - and most they did sell probably got lost, or even sucked up vacuum cleaners!
When it appears on eBay it often goes up to UK£20
At the same time on eBay lots of multiple Britains zoo animals, all of which are bigger and generally more impressive than the DBP, sell for £5 or less.

I imagine other members who are familiar with modern brands will know of examples of rather poor animals which are now very difficult to find, and expensive when you do find them.  

Thats interesting to know bom
Thank you DaveScriv

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 3:45 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
I only collect vintage models, so everything I might collect is 'retired', indeed many of them were 'retired' over 60 years ago, especially those made by the Georg Heyde company at Dresden, Germany, which was 'closed down' by RAF bombers in 1945 in a very permanent way!

That is very interesting, have you pics. This company was really in the near where i live now (around 1000 meters away). I was looking there, now is there a sports ground for a school  Very Happy 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I am of both too, i only collect species.If i have a figurine of a specie than mostly it is enough. I had a list in my childhood but i lost this list. After, as i was in my twentys i only bought figurines but i was not a collector and so i dont listed them. Now it is a mission impossible because i think that are a few thousand figurines now  Very Happy 

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
persefone

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Well most of us try to be methodic but when we see THIS model... love is love!
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Hmm, interesting topic. I'm not sure which one I am. I have wish lists. Older and newer. But when I see an animals that I like, I will buy it. I try to be as variated as I can. I have several groups I like most (big cats/cats, sea mammals, etc) and I try to collect most species from those groups.

I also LOVE to visit fleemarkets, second hand shops and such.
I I find a model animal for cheap, I will buy it XD

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm

widukind wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:

That is very interesting, have you pics. This company was really in the near where i live now (around 1000 meters away). I was looking there, now is there a sports ground for a school  Very Happy 

I can't find a picture of the factory at the moment, but do have a photo of the grand house he bought for himself and family, when the business was doing really well, in 1894. It is/was Radebergerstrasse 23. Is the house, or indeed the street, still there?

what collect - How do you collect? <a href=what collect - How do you collect? Img964_zps3e048f65" />
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 3:58 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
widukind wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:

I can't find a picture of the factory at the moment, but do have a photo of the grand house he bought for himself and family, when the business was doing really well, in 1894. It is/was Radebergerstrasse 23. Is the house, or indeed the street, still there?

what collect - How do you collect? <a href=what collect - How do you collect? Img964_zps3e048f65" />

I see i was wrong, i live in the near where they had the shop (Langestrasse). The factory was on the other side of the river Elbe, but not really much away Very Happy 

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 5:14 pm

Reading on in my Heyde book, I see that on the night of 13 February 1945 the factory, which was at Alaunstrasse 16 was destroyed, and the house in the photo was 'damaged'. The book doesn't say how badly damaged, so I don't know if was repaired or demolished afterwards.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 6:07 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Reading on in my Heyde book, I see that on the night of 13 February 1945 the factory, which was at Alaunstrasse 16 was destroyed, and the house in the photo was 'damaged'. The book doesn't say how badly damaged, so I don't know if was repaired or demolished afterwards.

You wrote a book? I can look for you on this places if you wish that- but let me time Very Happy 

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 pm

No, I meant my copy of the book about Heyde written by Markus Grein.

I have written books, but those were about poultry.
Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 pm

I am mostly a casual collector these days and just get what's really interesting to me - except for certain lines. Playmobil I collect all the animals and try to have every one, I have most of them and will continue to search for the few I don't have and collect the new ones as they become available. In Safari brand I collect the minis and have all of them to date, so I suppose that is a 'serious' list type collection. The whole collection of those takes up about as much space as a Schleich horse.  I also collect a few vintage brands and have most of them. For those I watch eBay from time to time but usually have to search a lot to find one I don't have yet. I can only do that when I have money which isn't often these days. Hopefully again in the spring.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
persefone

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Wow! A lot of information. Thanks all of you

My first and most important tip is: Do not buy nothing for the first time I see it. I have to return at home, see my papers and check which model is and If I need it, the ''rarity'' of it
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 2:08 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
No, I meant my copy of the book about Heyde written by Markus Grein.

I have written books, but those were about poultry.
Okay :)

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Anne from Norway

Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm new here on the forum, so I apologize if this topic has been discussed many times already.
I see here that people have very different types of collections, and it's so interesting to see! I would like to know what the focus of your collection is: do you collect a specific brand, a certain type of animal, are you hunting for rare pieces, going for comletion of a certain something, or just anything you like? Please share!

I collect only Schleich ( for now) , all animals, and lately also dinosaurs because my son loves them.

Last edited by Mikael on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 pm

When I joined I collected mostly Schleich, but as of late I've been selling my Schleich collection to collect exclusively horses, and with that mostly Breyers, Peter Stones, and some artist resins. I'm transitioning more into the model horse hobby than collecting animal models now. Smile Of course I can't bring myself to sell my Schleich horses...

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Um. Mostly I go for what meets my fancy and my budget. When the US Yowies came out I tried for completion.

(https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t13104-how-do-you-collect?

And
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t9916-how-do-you-decide?

Might overlap?)

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptyFri Dec 04, 2015 11:32 pm

NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? EmptySat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 am

I collect what I like Wink I have one rule, no insects...
But I think it is just only time before that rule is broken too Laughing
My only 'one animal collection' is my Border Collie collection. :)

PostSubject: Re: How do you collect?   what collect - How do you collect? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you collect?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next