Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla

Go down 
+15
Roger
widukind
kudu11
arafan
animalluvr6
lucky luke
boba_jagoda
costicuba
Wilorvise
Kikimalou
LeeAnn
JonasV
Ana
SUSANNE
MiniZoo
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 1:02 pm

I love this tutorial! I usually don't make a skeleton which reflect real bones but I think it's great idea and I would love to try it, especially with bigger sculptures it may be very useful! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm

This is the fun part Very Happy .. and where the 'bones' method has really come in useful. I've sized my inspiration photo onscreen to the model size and then roughly copied the pose. I can fine tune it as I go.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Rough_10

I've also now tested the armature on my homemade stand - works perfectly, nice and stable! I think he looks kind of cool!

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Armatu15
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:51 pm

WOW ! FABULOLUS ! Now I understand why you left the joints bare cheers

JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

So imprssive Shocked cheers So interesting to follow this Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 am

Exciting to watch bounce
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks Ana, Suzanne, Jonesee and Emma - I'm so glad you're enjoying it cheers

The armature is now ready so we move onto the next phase - sculpting! I've laid out my gear here:

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Gear10

* Super Sculpey Firm - I've switched to the firm clay now for the main work. I find the 'firm' version of the clay holds detail much better when I'm turning the model over in my hands. It takes a little longer to roll and make malleable but it's worth it to me.
* Scalpel - for cutting away excess clay
* Metal tools - sharp for detailing, leaf shaped tool for smoothing
* Wooden tools - for rough working the clay, pushing into shape etc
* Wire loops - for scraping away small areas
* Metal ball ends - for smoothing & detailing small areas
* Clay brushes - these are not paint brushes. They have a very smooth firm bristle and are used to brush over and smooth the detailed clay
* Metal turntable - love this. Can sit the model on and turn it around all angles reducing the handling.

I don't use all of the tools, but will pick and choose the ones I need. I'll probably only use 7 or 8 of these as I tend to stick with my favorites. Also I want to emphasise that you can still produce really nice models with only 2 or 3 tools. If you're starting out it costs a lot to buy all of this so a simple $15 wooden clay tool set can do a great job!
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 12:49 pm

When I was searching for reference photos I came across this amazing image of the muscular system of a gorilla. Because these animals are so hairy this will be really helpful in shaping the arms, shoulders, chest and legs. I keep all of my reference photos on my iPad so it's easy to flick between them as I go.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Muscle10
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 1:31 pm

That's really good photo and surely helpful! I guess if someone wanna try a horse there's this kind of photos in internet. The upper photo helps me to know what I need if I try to make my own model, thank you cheers

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 1:53 pm

I missed several steps here Shocked

Great that you try to keep to every natural detail. Very Happy

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:11 pm

I agree with everybody... Your decision, to show the process of your work,
the way how you think during the work..., how and from what you make this model...
everything is wonderful.... clever..and properly.
Great tutorial !
It reminds me of my Art school :) ..but there I was making human bodies.
Anyway..it`s the same. First we lurned about the skeleton..then muscles...
My last sculpture at the school was a creature between a human and goad :
``Satyr`` ( Faun, Pan) ..and he plays on ``Avlos``(musical instrument)
It was human size sculpture... Wink
I realy like your work..
and I realy like gorillas...
I can`t wait to see your next topic Wink

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Now to add the clay!

Photo 1. Polymer clay is expensive so I've used a bit of aluminium foil rolled up into a ball to bulk out the belly area and save on some clay.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Photo_22

Photo 2 - simply flattened out the clay and wrapped it around the ball.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Photo_23

Photo 3 - attaching the belly

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Photo_24

Photo 4 - adding the clay in small, manageable chunks, working quickly just with my fingers, not worried about details yet

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Photo_25

Photo 5 - main areas covered but face, hands & feet to be left until later as they are the most detailed

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Photo_26

I think working quickly is good at this stage as it's easy to get bogged down worrying about detail too soon. Just try to work to the basic shape.
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Welcome along Costicuba!
Back to top Go down
boba_jagoda

boba_jagoda

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 am

Very nice and usefull tips here, thank you for showing this Very Happy

I have no big ambitions to make my own models, but I can imagine how much work it is making one with a bottom up approach like this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:20 am

After adding the first layer of clay I start to smooth it - mostly using my finger tips but sometimes with the wooden tools for tight areas. Again I'm working fairly quickly. Then it's a matter of gradually adding the clay / smooth / add some more - comparing with my reference photos for overall dimensions, making slight adjustments to the pose. I also pay attention to the large muscle shapes and start forming the muscles during this process. This photo is a quick smooth after the first layer of clay.
Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Hand_s10

Last edited by MiniZoo on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm

It's starting to come together! Very Happy

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:00 pm

More clay added and starting to define muscles. Also put some 'skin' around the face and given some shape to the top of his head. I've done a focus on the right leg with how the muscles are built up and then smoothed a bit with the largest metal ball end tool. Still all very rough but at least he's starting to look like a gorilla!

The key thing is to keep looking at it from all angles and still focusing on getting the overall dimensions right. I've noticed when looking from the side that the belly isn't protruding enough so more clay to be added there.

You'll also see I've drawn a line from the chin to the groin. I can now measure from this center line to the outer edges and ensure that both sides are built up evenly.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Gorill12 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Leg_be10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Leg_af10
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Amazing cheers

JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:48 pm

I can see who knows what he's doing... This is just wonderful! I enjoyed :)

Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 10:11 am

Progress from today - I'm pretty happy with the basic dimensions so now I'm starting to refine the muscles more. Also covered the face with clay but no detail added yet. Because I've got the skeleton underneath I'm able to move the forearms in & out to access the chest area.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Progre10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Progre11 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Progre12 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Progre13
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 pm

I was able to spend about 6 hrs on Ozzie yesterday which was great. Work is progressing at a much slower rate now because the detail is being added. He still doesn't have a face but I'm hoping to get onto that today Smile

I spent a lot of time working on the leg muscles. Without any background in anatomy I'm constantly looking up reference photos (leg anatomy etc) on google and doing my best to apply it. He now has a right foot, hamstrings, calves, better arms, rib definition and I've also repositioned his head slightly to give him slightly more of a neck.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Gorill13

This picture shows much smaller pieces of clay being added and blended now. After stepping back and looking at him from a bit further away I realised his right shoulder wasn't quite in proportion with the left shoulder. So it's now a matter of tiny little adjustments here and there. It's definitely worth taking a step back occasionally and viewing your model from a wider angle.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Adding10

Please feel free to ask questions at any time.

I've also done some basic texturing on his back, using a smaller ball end tool and adding small wavy lines in the direction of the hair.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Rough_11
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:56 pm

WOW!

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 7:03 pm

looking awesome! You're giving me enthusiasm to do my own models! cheers

Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks LeeAnn & Jonas (Jonas it would be great to see you have a go at your own models!).

Well Ozzie finally has a face! It will still get further refined but most of the detail is there. I've gone further along with the texturing as it helps me get a better perspective on the areas that need more work.

First photo shows texturing with a very fine ball end tool. Second photo shows smoothing the bare skin of the chest with one of my clay brushes.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Fur_te11  Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Smooth11

Last edited by MiniZoo on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 11:47 am

Hello, Ozzie ! Now you can see, too cheers

MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:22 pm

To get the leg ready for texturing I have to fill in the gaps between the muscles. The three stages can be seen here. The end result is a nice furry leg with the underlying muscle structure still visible.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Leg_110  Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Leg_210  Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Leg_310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next