Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Sea lion

Go down 
+5
elephas_maximus
Chris Sweetman
Ana
SUSANNE
widukind
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:17 am

Britains Sea lion 15992997409_571ed3aea9_z
Britains Sea lion 1963 1

Britains Sea lion 16177185711_82dd5c50fa_z
Britains Sea lion 1963 2

The sea lion was introduced to the new plastic Zoo range as number 1329. The first issue, shown above, was released in 1963 and replaced in 1975. It was derived from the old Britains lead version’s mould which came out in 1933.

Britains Sea lion 16177185641_e0fe8e56fa_z
Britains Sea lion 1975 1

Britains Sea lion 15992997299_19398d86be_z
Britains Sea lion 1975 2

The model shown above is the replacement model designed by Ron Cameron and introduced to the Zoo range in 1975 and it was deleted in 1985.

Britains Sea lion 15991623678_95e610ba4c_z
Britains Sea lion 1963 and 1975

Now the image above shows both the 1963 and 1975 designs together. The newer version on the right is more animated and catches the characteristics of the animal far better and again shows the progress Britains made in this period.

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Nice figurines:) I never saw the bigger version before:)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 7:38 pm

This i SO great cheers cheers

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Very interesting! The newer version is really lovely replica Very Happy
And the photos quality in this topic, excellent!!! Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Oh, let me destroy a little the photos quality of this topic! Laughing
Once again thanks to your informative comments, I know I have some more Britains to hunt. I have the older plastic version as can be seen below together with Dinamização sea lion. Very Happy  I like that newer version. Very Happy

Britains Sea lion T6HVEmE

Chris Sweetman

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks Andreas, Susanne, Anna and Roger - sharing information is fun!  cheers

Roger, love the Dinamização sea lion - looks a perfect companion to both Britains versions. Added this to my ‘wants’ list!  Very Happy

The later Britains issue shouldn’t be to hard to find. So good luck and I hope you locate one soon. Wink

elephas_maximus

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 pm

Great topic Chris, I didn't know there were two versions of the sea lion.  I have the first version, though I do prefer the sleek streamlined design it has, I think it is meant to represent the slimmer, smaller female of the species. The later version incorporates more anatomy especially in the shoulder region but I think the sculpting of the head is nicer in the 1st.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 am

elephas_maximus wrote:
Great topic Chris, I didn't know there were two versions of the sea lion.  I have the first version, though I do prefer the sleek streamlined design it has, I think it is meant to represent the slimmer, smaller female of the species. The later version incorporates more anatomy especially in the shoulder region but I think the sculpting of the head is nicer in the 1st.

I was thinking the same, regarding sexes and old (F) v new (M) models of both the sea lion and the walrus, and how they would look good together in the Britains or other makes pool enclosures.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

Great topic cheers I am still mising the newest one but, you are right, catching one is only a matter of time. Very Happy

I aslo agree the Dinamização matches perfectly with them. And the smaller Prior copy should be a juvenile Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 12:15 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Thanks Andreas, Susanne, Anna and Roger - sharing information is fun!  cheers

Roger, love the Dinamização sea lion - looks a perfect companion to both Britains versions. Added this to my ‘wants’ list!  Very Happy

The later Britains issue shouldn’t be to hard to find. So good luck and I hope you locate one soon. Wink

Thanks Chris, I'll let you know if I can find an extra Dinamização sea lion. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 am

No thanks Rogério! You don't need to do so, a Portuguese croc friend of mine already sent one to me cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
No thanks Rogério!  You don't need to do so, a Portuguese croc friend of mine already sent one to me cheers  Wink

lol! Crazy macaque! monkey Very Happy

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 2:07 am

What is the real difference in the two models from the earlier and later areas Chris, i can't see the difference on the pics?

Admin
Kikimalou

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:24 am

There is no differences Willy, only pic 1 and pic 2 of the same model Wink 2:07, it's time to go to bed, I will sing you a song geek
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 1:58 am

I thought there was said that there were two variations of both models...
At 2.07 i am just starting my friend, that is morning for me, haha(uuuhh sorry ahah).
I don't mind if you would sing me a song, i hope the wallpaper stays on the wall then... Wink

Country/State : England

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 6:12 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
At 2.07 i am just starting my friend, that is morning for me, haha(uuuhh sorry ahah).
I don't mind if you would sing me a song, i hope the wallpaper stays on the wall then... Wink

I haven't closely examined my examples of the 2nd sea lion, but have noticed there are two (maybe more) moulds of the 1st sea lion, very minor differences in the whiskers near its mouth. You'll need a magnifying glass to see. Obviously there were 2 (3? 4?) moulds on the sprue for faster production, as with many other figures in the plastic era.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 12:49 am

DaveScriv wrote:
WILLYBACOMAN wrote:

I haven't closely examined my examples of the 2nd sea lion, but have noticed there are two (maybe more) moulds of the 1st sea lion, very minor differences in the whiskers near its mouth. You'll need a magnifying glass to see. Obviously there were 2 (3? 4?) moulds on the sprue for faster production, as with many other figures in the plastic era.

I have two versions of the 1st type so it may be worth giving them both a good look just in case there are differences.

Sponsored content

Britains Sea lion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Sea lion   Britains Sea lion Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Sea lion
Page 1 of 1